BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
HID need help

I posted this over the in general forum but wasn't getting any answers so im posting it here, sorry I'm desperate for answers.

My cousin purchased a pair of ddm sports tuning HID lights for my bmw 2008 128i and I'm having major problems installing them, and i was wondering if anyone can help me out,

So heres my story, I went to an auto shop called German Motors that deals specifically with German cars, these guys are experts and know what they are doing. When I first got there the owner told me he would install the lights for me, and he also told me that he recently talked to someone over at Inskip BMW about HID lights. This person over at Inskip told him to be careful about installing HIDs because they usually tend to throw off warning sensors, creating warning lights to come up on the dash baord. So to take care of this problem we ordered a special part from ddm sports tuning, i forgot what they called it, but it had a basic name like warning deleter, soemthing stupid like that, the part costed me 50 dollars. So when the piece came in, I went in that day to hook up my lights. On the first attempt, they connected this special piece to the ballast I think, and they technician went on to installing the rest of the lights, but something must have happened, causing this piece to overheat, and it ended up exploding!!! I was not to happy to hear this. There was no damage done to the lights or to my car, and the guess to as of why this happened is possibly cause of bad wiring. So they stoped installing the lights and put my old ones back in. The next day I came back to German motors, and had them put my lights in without this piece. The lights went in, and worked fine, throwing no warning signals off on the dashboard. But there was one problem, when the technician turned on the high beams, the HIDs would turn off, and they wouldn't turn back on unless he restarted the car. Because it was dark out, they wouldn't let me go home unless he knew for sure the lights would work properly so they put my old lights back in again. Now today I just went back to German motors for the 3rd time! I asked the guy to put the lights and as long as they work without me using the high beams i was going to keep them in. So they put them in and the HIDs appear to be working fine. The technician ran some tests to make sure they were ok. He turned the lights on the first time and started my car up, everything appeared to be fine. Then he turned off the car and lights and turned everything back on, the lights flickered on and off this time. So the third time he restarted my car, and this time the HIDs did not turn on at all, so for the third time they had to take out the HIDs and put in my old stock lights.
DDM sports tuning is supposedly shipping us a replacement part the replace the piece that exploded, and the owner of German Motors said he was going to call the company and see if installing this piece would be the answer to all of our problems. But after 3 trips to this place i still dont have lights and im not to happy about this.
I am wondering if anyone has any expierience with HIDs or if they have gone down this road before. If you have can you please give me some advice, and any information would be extremley helpful, thank you for taking the time to read this.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
HACKULO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i coupe  [0.00]
2008 135i  [6.00]
i change the HID by myself, no problem at all~
Appreciate 0