BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
rawbert54
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: sedona Reda 128i

oem headlight retrofit

Hi, ive managed to secure myself a couple of bi xenon adaptive headlight housing for very cheap, so im going to proceed with the retro fit because it just seems like it might be worth it. from what i can see, i still need 2 ballast, and 1 control unit (one light came with a control unit.) so here are a couple a questions for anyone who might know.

1. Is the plug that supplies power to the reflector housing (the headlight that came with the car) pin for pin compatible with the projector housing (HID one)?

2. Does the car need to be reprogrammed to control the adaptive lights?

3. is the control unit available without the ballast? cant tell from real oem.

As cool as the adaptive feature is, my primary goal is to get the headlight mounted and working with xenon bulbs and no codes. Initially, to get around the programing issues, im wondering if i can use an aftermarket ballast with a d2s bulb. (d2s will fit in a d1s base) and pull power from the wires meant for the oem ballast. i have ballast with a built in resistor pack, so the car should continue to throw its 55 watts at the ballast without any bulb out warnings

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Sui
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 123d

A retrofit of the AHL feauture is quite difficulte.

The missing parts for your lights are also very expensive.

I yould suggest, that you buy my lights for your personal retrofit and sell your AHL housings to someone who already have AHL xenons.

My ones are complete with bulbs and ballasts.

For getting my lights work, you will have to change the footwell module and make a reflash at your dealer.

Here are the pics.

As you can see, the lights are non-AHL with dark inners and clear corners (euros).

Both lights are new, but a bit hidden by storage and handling.

The left light (in driving direction) is completely without marks, the right one has a few minor scratches on the glass (as you can see on the pics) and a broken tab on the top.

The Tab will come fix and is not a problem at all.
I can promise, that the will be no hassle during installing them.

Appreciate 0