BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Up to $15 off Mobil 1, ends October 31, 2016

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...nd-mobil-super

Looks like the $15 only applies if you buy quarts and a filter.
It's a $12 mail-in rebate for 5 (or more) quarts.

You'll have to read the participating retailers list.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

And again, for all who don't know, Mobil1 has lost BMW's long life certification. Check the label.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Lamar Vannoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 2016 328d

"Offer valid until Oct. 31, 2016. Multiquart jugs and single quart bottles both valid. Certain restrictions apply."

I need some M1 Turbo Diesel Truck for my Jetta so this will work out well and Meijer already sells it for a low $26/gallon.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I like that you can fill all of this out and submit online, plus track it online as well. They are a little slower than they used to be, but I've gotten the rebate every time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
And again, for all who don't know, Mobil1 has lost BMW's long life certification. Check the label.
I think it is meaningless if the composition of the oil hasn't changed. I think this is no different than the manufacturer of kosher food who didnt change anything in the manufacturing process, but got tired of paying the rabbi to certify his products as kosher. Because the rabbi didnt certify it, does it mean its not kosher? Same for halal, organic, etc. only difference is the outside of the package doesn't have the certification printed on it. Contents inside the package are the same.

If Mobil 1 is still certified by other manufacturers I wouldn't waste time giving this so called issue any thought.

YMMV. Maybe my thought process is wrong, and you believe if it is, please share your thought process so I can be convinced otherwise.
      09-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #6
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Mail-in rebates are too much hassle.

Still prefer buying Mobil 1 at Costco in 6-quart boxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
I think it is meaningless if the composition of the oil hasn't changed. I think this is no different than the manufacturer of kosher food who didnt change anything in the manufacturing process, but got tired of paying the rabbi to certify his products as kosher. Because the rabbi didnt certify it, does it mean its not kosher? Same for halal, organic, etc. only difference is the outside of the package doesn't have the certification printed on it. Contents inside the package are the same.

If Mobil 1 is still certified by other manufacturers I wouldn't waste time giving this so called issue any thought.

YMMV. Maybe my thought process is wrong, and you believe if it is, please share your thought process so I can be convinced otherwise.
You may be right. Maybe Mobil simply does not want to sell oil to thousands of DIY BMW owners. Not sure how much Mobil has to pay for its certification. Is that really how it works? Sounds sort of contrived to my ear. IF this is true, the issue can be boiled down to simple math. First, accept the premise that corporations exist for one reason: to return a profit in terms of earnings per share to the shareholders. Then, if it costs $X to be LL-01 certified and the certification brings in $Y profits and $X-$Y<$0, then you are right. Mobil should not pay $X to carry the BMW Long Life credential.

My thought (or maybe my worry) is that the loss of the BMW certification has some other causation. Could it be that some number of BMW owners running Mobil1 synthetic oil have experienced premature engine wear or failure resulting in extra costs to BMW to cover damages, and consequent loss of sales due to consumers losing faith in the reliability of BMW automobiles?

I think we can agree on one thing. There is a plausible reason for Mobil's loss of BMW's certification. We just don't know what that reason is.

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #8
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
You may be right. Maybe Mobil simply does not want to sell oil to thousands of DIY BMW owners. Not sure how much Mobil has to pay for its certification. Is that really how it works? Sounds sort of contrived to my ear. IF this is true, the issue can be boiled down to simple math. First, accept the premise that corporations exist for one reason: to return a profit in terms of earnings per share to the shareholders. Then, if it costs $X to be LL-01 certified and the certification brings in $Y profits and $X-$Y<$0, then you are right. Mobil should not pay $X to carry the BMW Long Life credential.

My thought (or maybe my worry) is that the loss of the BMW certification has some other causation. Could it be that some number of BMW owners running Mobil1 synthetic oil have experienced premature engine wear or failure resulting in extra costs to BMW to cover damages, and consequent loss of sales due to consumers losing faith in the reliability of BMW automobiles?

I think we can agree on one thing. There is a plausible reason for Mobil's loss of BMW's certification. We just don't know what that reason is.

Peace
My cousin worked for GM as an engineer when the C6 came out. I had a 04 GTO with the LS1. He asked me about the oil cooler. Then he told me that they ditched the oil cooler on the C6, and made Mobil 1 the standard fill/requirement. That was done after extensive WOT testing.

I don't think there are thousands of BMW DIYers loyal to Mobil 1. I don't think BMW cares much about us. Their target demographic is the new car lessee, a new car every two years, with no maintenance worries. As for us - we are the garbage that wears last years style.

Ask BMW or any manufacturer for an out of warranty repair. Their first question - are you the original owner? If no, go pound sand (most of the time).

If Mobil 1 still has the certification of the independent testing institutes, or other manufacturers, etc. It probably is the same stuff in the bottle. I wouldn't worry.