BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
tkorpi
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Passenger side xenon

I did something silly a while back and some water got into my passenger side headlight. I have the adaptive xenons on a 2011 135i convertible. Ive taken both units out and swapped parts to try and figure out what electronics are shot. I figured out that i definitely needed a new xenon controller and replaced that much. If i take the pass light and connect it to drivers side, the xenon lights. It will not start when connected to the pass side. If i take the know good divers side light and connect it to the pass side, it wont light. As far are i can figure, the fuses are good. Is there anything else i can take a look at?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi View Post
I did something silly a while back and some water got into my passenger side headlight. I have the adaptive xenons on a 2011 135i convertible. Ive taken both units out and swapped parts to try and figure out what electronics are shot. I figured out that i definitely needed a new xenon controller and replaced that much. If i take the pass light and connect it to drivers side, the xenon lights. It will not start when connected to the pass side. If i take the know good divers side light and connect it to the pass side, it wont light. As far are i can figure, the fuses are good. Is there anything else i can take a look at?

Thanks!
I had the same problem. There are lots of threads that cover your situation, but I found this one particularly useful: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988568

Specifically, check out the post at the bottom of page 1...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
tkorpi
Rep

Ok, great! Thank you. I have a friend with the diagnostic cable. I guess I take a stab at resetting the footwell module since neither xenon starts when connected to the passenger side. I hope that does the trick! Tired of fussin with it, need inspection and it’s convertible weather!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkorpi View Post
Ok, great! Thank you. I have a friend with the diagnostic cable. I guess I take a stab at resetting the footwell module since neither xenon starts when connected to the passenger side. I hope that does the trick! Tired of fussin with it, need inspection and it’s convertible weather!
But..... You need to go step by step through the Blueherb's post at the bottom of the page that I linked above.

You probably don't need to reset the footwell module - you almost definitely need a new passenger side ballast, and probably need a new adaptive headlight module (AHL). You have to pull the front bumper off and remove the headlights to get to those. You should remove and disassemble the passenger headlight (ballast and AHL) anyway to make sure it is completely dry.

Last edited by cjb762; 04-24-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
tkorpi
Rep

Right on. I did most of the things on the list. This happened a little while back and I've been slowly stepping through various troubleshooting steps. Early on I determined that the ballast was definitely shot. I took the entire light apart, dried the modules for a few days even. My main thing now is that both xenons will illuminate when connected to the drivers side. Neither works when connected to passenger side. Like I said, I think fuses are ok, so I was left scratching my head as to what other pieces are in the mix! That footwell module was something that I was unaware of! And for what it's worth, it's the xenon that isn't working. The rest, halos, turn signals all work. I've also got myself an adaptive headlight error on the dash, but I figured that might simply because the module suffered the same fate as the ballast. Anyway, I'm slightly more encouraged that I'll eventually get through this! Thank you all for your input!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I've heard that the footwell module has some sort of short-circuit detector and if it detects too many then it will stop sending power to that side until the counter is reset. Hopefully that fixes your issue!
      04-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
tkorpi
Rep

Gosh, I sure hope so! 2 Headlights would be a welcome sight right about now. I'll follow up once I can reset whatever there is to reset. I ran across something after doing some Googling that said the same thing. Basically shuts it all down if there are too many start attempts while a shirt circuit exists. After some number of resets and tries the footwell module needs to be replaced?!

I would never have thought that there are so many components working those headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
tkorpi
Rep

OK, well that didn't quite work! I think I'm getting closer though. I procured my Bavarian Technic Cable and software. There are clear errors in the FRM:

9CBB
Short-circuit 2
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Short circuit or signal interruption

9CC0
SMC right defective
Timeout

9CC1
Communication with mirror driver side defective
Signal or value below threshold

If I use the Activations section of the FRM module and for the right headlight on, the xenon illuminates. The software will not allow me to clear the error codes in the FRM. I've now fallen into some rabbit hole involving tool32, etc., but I'm struggling a bit. I'm not even sure that the Bavarian Technic cable will work with the other software that I've found Googling around. Any quick tips? Is my FRM shot?
Appreciate 0