BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2018, 02:53 AM   #1
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

TCK Koni Threaded Sleeves

Looking to install some TCK Koni threaded sleeves on standard koni yellow shocks. I've asked TCK how they secure to the strut and got the following response :

"Knock off the stock spring land and slide them on.
The sway bar mount holds them from dropping down the strut.
Sometimes, the strut body widens below the spring mount area. If this is the case, then they will nest on that spot, and would require shortening their height."

Now I'm not too keen to go modifying a brand new part. I am also not convinced on the idea of the using the sway bar mounting tab to hold the sleeves (considering the sleeves support the entire force from the spring).

Has anyone installed them? care to comment? Ideally the strut or sleeve would be tapered or the sleeve would have a lip and that would secure it to the strut however I'm not sure this is the case... be good if someone could confirm.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
Looking to install some TCK Koni threaded sleeves on standard koni yellow shocks. I've asked TCK how they secure to the strut and got the following response :

"Knock off the stock spring land and slide them on.
The sway bar mount holds them from dropping down the strut.
Sometimes, the strut body widens below the spring mount area. If this is the case, then they will nest on that spot, and would require shortening their height."

Now I'm not too keen to go modifying a brand new part. I am also not convinced on the idea of the using the sway bar mounting tab to hold the sleeves (considering the sleeves support the entire force from the spring).

Has anyone installed them? care to comment? Ideally the strut or sleeve would be tapered or the sleeve would have a lip and that would secure it to the strut however I'm not sure this is the case... be good if someone could confirm.
Was going to reply but realized we have been exchanging emails already.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #3
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
I'm also interesting in an answer to this question as I'm interested in using these are well.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #4
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Quote:
I'm also interesting in an answer to this question as I'm interested in using these are well.
from speaking to Harold they just sit on the strut and you could use epoxy if i wanted the secure them (i wouldn't think this is necessary with some spring pre load )

I'm still unsure whether the spot they nest at is far enough down the strut that they don't sit above the strut body and require trimming. hopefully not and i kinda assume this wouldn't be the case.
Appreciate 0