BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Maybe you can help me with this....

I was driving yesterday and pulling into a parking garage heard a popping kinda sound under my car...thought it was a rock or debris caught under tire. Anyway drove it home a few miles without issue. This morning I started my car and pulled off and my flat tire warning went or and said my frond left tire is low. thats where i heard the noise come from yesterday.

i got out and expected to see a flat tire. but it looks perfect. it feels firm on the sides as well as the tread area. i drove it 3 miles to work (city streets) without issue and the car drove perfectly fine. it does pull to the left or anything. thing it this is the first "cold" morning we have had in pittsburgh...temps were in the 40s.

this is my question. i know these cars have run flats...if the tire were flat, how can i tell beyond the dash sensor, will it look a little flat? also since its so cold out, could it be the tire pressure has changed because of the air contacting (ive had this before on other cars). the only thing that is making me think different is the "popping" noise i heard last night.

some might say "just go full up the tire and see...well it not that easy if i live in the city, id have to drive out after work during rush our to a suburb and find a station with an air pump. thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

The reason runflats have the sensors, is you can not tell physically that the tire is flat. Check the pressure...You dont have a tire pressure gauge? The tire pressures are on the inside of the drivers door.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sounds like you have a flat tire to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

I used a tire pressure gauge and the pressure was at 26-27psi so no flat, just low because of the cold weather thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You should be checking your tires every other or every third fill up. Check the tire pressures AND THEN reset the TPMS system. This will tell the TPMS computer the "new" target pressure to warn of a flat or sudden loss of pressure. Many people do not do this and you get that warning. The system is sort of a "dumb" system. You must tell it WHAT the target pressures are.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Temp changes cause these types of warinings in almost any BMW. Newer models come filled with Nitrogen which alleviates the swing and tends to stay at full inflation for longer time periods. If the car is still under warranty the dealer may be willing to give you a Nitrogen fill as an accomodation. The two BMW's I have had with Nitrogen in the tires never caused an issue with temp changes. Every other one had a sensor go off periodically, usually when it got cold.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Might I suggest...

Appreciate 0