BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #881
m3jala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
If there is God, a god, or gods, their activities would ultimately be explainable scientifically, thus science and Gods aren't mutually exclusive.
Your logic is flawed, because science simply represents what man understands. Science does not apply until it does.

So to say that faith, hunches, opinion or future science don't have their place in the space beyond what science has affirmed, and to ridicule one over the other is junior at best.

Try explaining how the precision of stone cutting in machu picchu was done in comparison to not so recent modern views that said we all came from apes. If you believe aliens or giants did it, what proof do you have over a God? Perhaps the realities all blend together...
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #882
Zlaatan
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That's correct, but the claim was that since science has not proven God, then he does not exist.
I don't think that was the case, unless I've missed something.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #883
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Your logic is flawed, because science simply represents what man understands. Science does not apply until it does.
No, not flawed and not even logic, I'm just reciting the definitions ... plus I think you said exactly what I did.

There is no "science vs God" - that's like saying "The French Language vs Occam's Razor". One is a language and one is a principle of philosophy.

Science is simply a language which can describe anything including God - it just might not be able to do it well, such as there is no english word for the Danish concept of Hygge, but we can still use science to investigate, observe, and experiment God.

If a scientific investigation of God is not conclusive it simply means we have no repeatable predictive theory of God ... which is entirely different from saying there is no God, but science is still describing God, just not well.

Show me someone arguing there is no God because science, and I'll show you someone who doesn't understand what science is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 5
Joekerr1853.50
MKSixer7358.00
SakhirM46628.50
minn192853.00

04-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #884
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
No, not flawed and not even logic, I'm just reciting the definitions ... plus I think you said exactly what I did.

There is no "science vs God" - that's like saying "The French Language vs Occam's Razor". One is a language and one is a principle of philosophy.

Science is simply a language which can describe anything including God - it just might not be able to do it well, such as there is no english word for the Danish concept of Hygge, but we can still use science to investigate, observe, and experiment God.

If a scientific investigation of God is not conclusive it simply means we have no repeatable predictive theory of God ... which is entirely different from saying there is no God, but science is still describing God, just not well.

Show me someone arguing there is no God because science, and I'll show you someone who doesn't understand what science is.
Yes, yes, yes. I liked something you wrote. The earth is spinning off its axis. It will all be fine.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM46628.50
GrussGott6916.50
minn192853.00

04-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #885
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Yes, yes, yes. I liked something you wrote. The earth is spinning off its axis. It will all be fine.

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer7358.00
minn192853.00

04-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #886
Zlaatan
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:

Are you talking about a hypothetical scientific investigation that's describing God or did I miss something again?

Before anyone could even attempt to describe or prove a God scientifically they would first need to define what God is, which from what I can tell would be a serious struggle since most theists seems to have a very personal view on that. Then there's the case of which God is being proven, which would be a very....interesting discussion in itself.
Appreciate 2
minn192853.00

04-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #887
minn19
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 GT350, 16 F150, 16 428 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post
Are you talking about a hypothetical scientific investigation that's describing God or did I miss something again?

Before anyone could even attempt to describe or prove a God scientifically they would first need to define what God is, which from what I can tell would be a serious struggle since most theists seems to have a very personal view on that. Then there's the case of which God is being proven, which would be a very....interesting discussion in itself.
I got kinda lost there myself, but I think I get what everybody is trying to say again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #888
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaatan View Post

Yup to all. We could use science to investigate God and yes we would have to define it, maybe similar to Dark Matter (which itself is undefined but more a description for an effect, i.e., physical phenomena we observe but we don't know what's causing it). Taking it one step further, let's say there was direct evidence of God turning water to wine or whatever - there could be a scientific explanation of that too.

Actually I think there was an investigation into some holy water and found it had some different composition from normal H2O but I don't remember the details, just remember reading about it.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #889
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

And what about the God particle? Funny that science is imbuing (is that correct?) particles with theist principles.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #890
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And what about the God particle? Funny that science is imbuing (is that correct?) particles with theist principles.
but that's the whole thing: it's not funny for people that understand science, because those people realize how truly little we understand compared to how mind-blowingly much there is.

More specifically, our bodies (and everything we see) actually don't exist at the smallest scales, and we can't account where the mass comes from at larger scales - the Higgs proves how this happens, thus it accounts for us being here.

More worrisome, aberrations in the Higgs field may cause a vacuum bubble that destroys the universe.

So there's that.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #891
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
but that's the whole thing: it's not funny for people that understand science, because those people realize how truly little we understand compared to how mind-blowingly much there is.

More specifically, our bodies (and everything we see) actually don't exist at the smallest scales, and we can't account where the mass comes from at larger scales - the Higgs proves how this happens, thus it accounts for us being here.

More worrisome, aberrations in the Higgs field may cause a vacuum bubble that destroys the universe.

So there's that.
Not to mention that we can't even figure out where the universe ends. And if it does, what's on the other side.

I thought getting old would take longer
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #892
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Why don't we just ask 1MOREMOD ????? He's been to the other side, and knows where all the dark matter is hiding
Appreciate 1
minn192853.00

04-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #893
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Why don't we just ask 1MOREMOD ????? He's been to the other side, and knows where all the dark matter is hiding
He mustíve watched all of the Star Wars movies. With popcorn.

I thought getting old would take longer
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #894
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

It's between our politicians ears
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #895
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Not to mention that we can't even figure out where the universe ends. And if it does, what's on the other side.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #896
irishbimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5 CP

I want whatever you guys are smokin'
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #897
MKSixer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
I want whatever you guys are smokin'
Tires or cigars, my friend.
Attached Images

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 1
SakhirM46628.50

04-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #898
irishbimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5 CP

hadn't thought about cigars
Appreciate 1
MKSixer7358.00