BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

H & X pipe on 128i?

Thinking about doing an H pipe where the secondary cats are. Searched around and didnt see anything about H pipes or X pipes on here. Should i spend the extra couple bucks and my local muffler shop?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_e82 View Post
Thinking about doing an H pipe where the secondary cats are. Searched around and didnt see anything about H pipes or X pipes on here. Should i spend the extra couple bucks and my local muffler shop?
I don't know that a straight-six will take much advantage of an X-pipe, but I am far from an expert in exhaust.
      05-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
F13.KENN
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I don't know that a straight-six will take much advantage of an X-pipe, but I am far from an expert in exhaust.
Thats what i was thinking. Same where about the exhaust expert part. I might do it for the hell of it
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

The car already has a merger, it's right after the secondaries (if your car has them) inside of the resonator.

A Y (inside the resonator) and X pipe are functionally the same, the H pipe in my opinion is inferior and is a sound only mod.

I wouldn't bother unless you were upgrading for more power, and in that situation a custom X/Y pipe or an exhaust system would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

the N52 exhaust system cannot fit an x-pipe.

an H-pipe is useless, don't waste your time trying to install one.

as a general rule of thumb, you want to have either a resonator in your exhaust system, or an x-pipe. both are fine, but you want to have at least one or the other.

as for an x-pipe, that is a great mod if you have the dual pipes for it to fit. a stainless steel x-pipe upgrade alone can make a huge improvement with your exhaust sound.

if you are looking for a better sound, start by deleting your secondary cats. next replace your stock muffler with either a high-flow one or a resonator.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
the N52 exhaust system cannot fit an x-pipe.

an H-pipe is useless, don't waste your time trying to install one.

as a general rule of thumb, you want to have either a resonator in your exhaust system, or an x-pipe. both are fine, but you want to have at least one or the other.

as for an x-pipe, that is a great mod if you have the dual pipes for it to fit. a stainless steel x-pipe upgrade alone can make a huge improvement with your exhaust sound.

if you are looking for a better sound, start by deleting your secondary cats. next replace your stock muffler with either a high-flow one or a resonator.
This is false.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
This is false.
.. can you elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
.. can you elaborate?
You can fit an X pipe- I explained that a Y and X pipe are funcationally similar.
You can run both a merger and a resonator- it’s not either or and they both serve a different purpose.

I don’t know where you got your information, but it’s wrong.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #9
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You can fit an X pipe- I explained that a Y and X pipe are funcationally similar.
You can run both a merger and a resonator- it’s not either or and they both serve a different purpose.

I don’t know where you got your information, but it’s wrong.
how do you fit an x-pipe into your exhaust system if the N52 has two pipes merging into one after the resonator?

I never said that you can't run a merger with a resonator. What I was trying to say is that you will lose some torque if you don't have an x-pipe OR a resonator. you wan't at least one or the other in your exhaust system. that doesnt mean you can't fit both, like I mentioned in my first post.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
how do you fit an x-pipe into your exhaust system if the N52 has two pipes merging into one after the resonator?

I never said that you can't run a merger with a resonator. What I was trying to say is that you will lose some torque if you don't have an x-pipe OR a resonator. you wan't at least one or the other in your exhaust system. that doesnt mean you can't fit both, like I mentioned in my first post.
And all of that is STILL wrong.
You can run a true dual system all the way back if you want - Super Sprint sells a variant for the E90 that remains Dual all the way into the muffler. In fact, the E46 and E36 M3 had exhaust like this.

Second, a resonator has nothing to do with torque and power. It handles resonate frequencies (sound) and basically nothing more. The merger of the exhaust is what determines torque.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And all of that is STILL wrong.
You can run a true dual system all the way back if you want - Super Sprint sells a variant for the E90 that remains Dual all the way into the muffler. In fact, the E46 and E36 M3 had exhaust like this.

Second, a resonator has nothing to do with torque and power. It handles resonate frequencies (sound) and basically nothing more. The merger of the exhaust is what determines torque.
dude, this is not difficult to understand. the STOCK N52 exhaust system cannot fit an x-pipe. of course you can fit an x-pipe if you replace your cat-back system with a true dual pipe layout. that's like totally common sense.

TheAxiom mentioned in a post somewhere that if you don't have a resonator somewhere in your setup, you should add an x-pipe because you don't want to be losing torque in your setup.

are you sure that a Y-pipe has the same effect as an x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
dude, this is not difficult to understand. the STOCK N52 exhaust system cannot fit an x-pipe. of course you can fit an x-pipe if you replace your cat-back system with a true dual pipe layout. that's like totally common sense.

TheAxiom mentioned in a post somewhere that if you don't have a resonator somewhere in your setup, you should add an x-pipe because you don't want to be losing torque in your setup.

are you sure that a Y-pipe has the same effect as an x-pipe?
1. Yes, you absolutely can fit an x pipe - it can be welded in any place on the exhaust system you want - however the car already has a crossover that’s integrated with the resonator (a Y pipe) this causes the exhaust to go from dual to a single outlet.

2. I AM theAxiom - and I never said that.

3. Yes, I’m absolutely sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

I agree with everything Taskmaster said. I have replaced many parts of my custom exhaust.
P.S. : he is TheAxiom
      05-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
1. Yes, you absolutely can fit an x pipe - it can be welded in any place on the exhaust system you want - however the car already has a crossover that’s integrated with the resonator (a Y pipe) this causes the exhaust to go from dual to a single outlet.

2. I AM theAxiom - and I never said that.

3. Yes, I’m absolutely sure.
lol...

anyways... this is the post I was talking about:

Quote:
Just a suggestion - tell them to add an X pipe where your stock resonator was. You don't want to lose torque (and that H pipe won't help).

Waiting on results!
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159029
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
Elias_E90
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

An H pipe is used for v8 cars mostly.
You can fit an X pipe inplace of the secondaries (i think supersprint mid pipes have that) but the car already have a Y pipe that is designed well for the n52. If you want an X pipe you have to continue with 2 pipes after it, like older m3 designed cars s14 s52 s54
      05-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias_E90 View Post
An H pipe is used for v8 cars mostly.
You can fit an X pipe inplace of the secondaries (i think supersprint mid pipes have that) but the car already have a Y pipe that is designed well for the n52. If you want an X pipe you have to continue with 2 pipes after it, like older m3 designed cars s14 s52 s54
but the optimal placement for an x-pipe or resonator is underneath the rear passenger seat (hence which is why the stock resonator is there also acting as a y-pipe)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
lol...

anyways... this is the post I was talking about:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159029
You’re not reading that right.

Re-read what I said before.

Quote:
The car already has a merger, it's right after the secondaries (if your car has them) inside of the resonator.

A Y (inside the resonator) and X pipe are functionally the same,the H pipe in my opinion is inferior and is a sound only mod.

Quote:
the car already has a crossover that’s integrated with the resonator (a Y pipe) this causes the exhaust to go from dual to a single outlet.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #18
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
but the optimal placement for an x-pipe or resonator is underneath the rear passenger seat (hence which is why the stock resonator is there also acting as a y-pipe)
No. And yes.

The depends on what the goals are, but stock placement of the merger is fine. If you were looking to make more top end power, you could move it closer to the exhaust manifold.

In terms of the resonator, that was just for the sake of packaging. You can have resonator independent of the merger, most cars do.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No. And yes.

The depends on what the goals are, but stock placement of the merger is fine. If you were looking to make more top end power, you could move it closer to the exhaust manifold.

In terms of the resonator, that was just for the sake of packaging. You can have resonator independent of the merger, most cars do.
Thanks!

so if you are looking to put more resonators in your exhaust system, it doesnt matter where? so for example, putting vibrant resonators in place of your secondary cats, or in place of your OEM muffler?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

so if you are looking to put more resonators in your exhaust system, it doesnt matter where? so for example, putting vibrant resonators in place of your secondary cats, or in place of your OEM muffler?
I would have the resonators AFTER the merger, not before. The idea is to have the exhaust gasses as fast as possible going into the merger for the best power.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I would have the resonators AFTER the merger, not before. The idea is to have the exhaust gasses as fast as possible going into the merger for the best power.
so I assume that even a secondary cat delete will make a fair difference in performance, because of this?

would you say it's a good setup to have resonators in place of your stock muffler?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
so I assume that even a secondary cat delete will make a fair difference in performance, because of this?

would you say it's a good setup to have resonators in place of your stock muffler?
Yes, removing the secondaries has added as much as (8? 10?whp) but no, I would use a muffler in place of a muffler.
Appreciate 0