BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
diiirk
Rep
Drives: '21 M3C Alpine White/Kyalami O

trade evo for the 135?

Both cars ive owned in my life have been Evo's. I had an 04 evo 8 and now an 06 evo ix. i would have gone up to the X but its hideous. Im starting to get a little tired of the Evo. Ive reached the mod level where i have pretty much thrown the reliability factor out the door, and im starting to get sick of all the little problems. This 135 may be exactly what i need, im thinking its time for a smooth reliable car that still has a bit of power. Im going today to test drive a 135, and i will spend the next few weeks thinking it over. Some days i think i need to get rid of it, some days i think theres no way id give it up. The main thing stopping me is that i have so much money into this car, it would be a waste to get rid of it. Also the fact that i really love the car, the power is unreal, and i love the way it looks, but i think ive had enough of the problems. i need something fast, comfortable, and reliable. What do you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
135i!
Do It!
      05-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

I would say 135i. It wont be the track whomper like you've been owning, but you wont have a ton of money into the 135i right away either. 135i is seriously a fun car, my friend had a modded out evo 9, great for track, but I wouldn't compare it on streets with the 135i. The 1er feels so much better, imo. There was also a review between the evo and 135i, and 135i took 2/3 events, the one it didn't take was the track.
Just my .02, but try to get a decent test drive in, the feel will be dif, but hopefully you can get a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Um, you are in a 1 addicts forum, I doubt anyone would say evo without a in order lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I've had the pleasure of spending some time with an Evo 8 and was very impressed. It's a 'crisp' car - a lot of sensory info being fed back from it. I've found that the 135i is 'relaxed' in comparison. It's more comfortable but handles decently and goes like stink.

BTW, welcome to 1addicts!!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

DO IT! Seriously though, if you are going to take a test drive and "plan" on waiting a few weeks to think it over...be prepared to place an order for one immediately. Nothing wrong with wanting comfort/luxury and power to boot. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd like to hear your opinion of the 135i after having driven an Evo for so many years.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
diiirk
Rep

so i went to the dealer today and went for a ride. I cant give any opinion as of yet, because the dealer wouldnt let me get on it. he made sure that i stayed under 80 on the highway and basically just allowed me to stroll around in it. It was an automatic as well. One thing i can say is that the 135 definatly has that low end power that the evo really lacks. definatly a plus for the 135. The automatic trans definatly shifts quick with the paddles which is another great thing. im starting to think i may want an automatic if i do decide to make the switch. I dont imagine the power will be anywhere close to the acceleration of my car, as it is best described as violent when boost hits. But i will have to head to another dealer that will let me actually drive the car. We talked a bit about numbers, and this guy wanted 39,500 for a base model without any extras. If you guys are paying that much over msrp, im not gonna be able to afford it. The only way that im really gonna do it is if i can get 25k out of the evo and get that 135 out the door at no more than 32-33. how possible is that? any of you guys getting below msrp out the door?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
fourmicah
Private
Rep
Drives:

I doubt you will get out the door on a 135 for 32-33K. You can probably get it for 35-36K. 39,500 for a base model seems a little high for that car when you can build one online for 36K. You are better off parting out your evo to make sure that you get the money out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
diiirk
Rep

i will definatly be parting out the car. it has 37k on it, so i will probably only get 23-24k for it, but ive got thousands of dollars in mods that i will be selling. you can build one online for 36 maybe, but then all dealer fees and taxes and all that.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
diiirk
Rep

what have most of you guys got the 135 for after taxes, fees and all that?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Post pics of your EVO and well decide for you. DO IT.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
diiirk
Rep

here is a pic for now, i had a bunch on my flickr before i deleted it. this was off a shops website from there dyno day. me making 440 on c16 @ 30 psi.

Full mod list includessss...
ETS intake/upper and lower ic pipes/3" intercooler
Ported stock exhaust manifold
Megan o2 housing
Megan turbo back exhaust
Tomei cams
ARP headstuds
Walbro fuel pump
Greddy electronic boost controller
Greddy turbo timer
Ported intake manifold/65mm throttle body
FP green turbo (stock turbo with 20g wheel)
AEM boost and air fuel gauge
ACT street disc clutch/prolite flywheel
Built tranny with taller evo 8 3rd and 4th gear
Tein springs
18x9 Work emotion xd9 wheels
Tuned by Jestr Tuning

I will definatly be taking a hit trying to get my money back for the parts, but i should be able to sell most of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

diiirk,

I switched from a 350 awrhp Evo VIII into a 135i. And I felt EXACTLY the same way you do now--tired of fixing all the little things and was teetering on the edge of reliable (not quite as far gone as you). I was entering a point in my life where I simply didn't have the time to fix and maintain the Evo up to my standards. So, I ended up taking EVERYTHING off of it and selling it all.

As far as comparisons are concerned, I guess it depends on what angle you're looking at. Aesthetically, IMO the 135i is much easier on the eyes, both inside and out. It's just got that slick German feel to it. I get into the car everyday and still am impressed with the interior design. You just didn't get that with the Evo. Also, you're right about the torque. The 135i's just got a ton of it, everywhere, in every gear. It makes the car really fun to drive, especially when you are at highway and above speeds. Now I'm not sure about you, but I always felt that my Evo struggled to accelerate decently at higher speeds, probably due to a huge drag component easily visible in the rear mirror. The 135i just cruises, very easily, in any gear, at any speed. It's just really smooth, without struggle, with plenty of torque. It's a nice feeling.

But that being said, sure, people here on the forums feel that the stock 135i is quick. And for all practical purposes, it is. But let me tell you (because you know), the 135i will be NO WHERE near as fast as your currently modified Evo. Your currently modified Evo is literally neck snappingly quick. The 135i's just....ok. I mean, you'll get use to it. The torque is nice, but the power delivery pales in comparison to a modified Evo's. Also, the handling just isn't there. The Evo allowed for ridiculously quick transitions, post-apex rotations, all sorts of powerslides, induced oversteer drifiting, etc. etc. The 135i's definitely has a softer edge on it, with slower transitions and slower tendencies. But it's well behaved with a habit for understeer (unless you weight transition/dump the throttle/off cambered turns). For me (as I'm still learning the car), there's no easy on-throttle rotation that there was with my old Evo setup.

Now I know it's not quite *fair* to compare a decently modified car to a stock one. But that isn't the point of this post. Seeing how I've come from a very similar platform I just wanted to give you my impressions. As long as you know what you're getting into with the trade-offs you're going to make, you'll be happy. Sure it's slower, and sure it can't round the local track nearly as fast. But it's still a whole lot of fun coupled with a very attractive design. And plus there's always something about being able to just jump into a car and flog the crap out of it, no matter what gas you're running, no matter what temperature it is outside, without any worries of anything at all because they designed it and it's meant to stay together. I guess what I'm saying is that there's always something nice about a sexy, stock car. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
diiirk
Rep

i appreciate the input Denial, sounds like you were definatly in the same boat. A modified evo definatly has its problems, and it may partially be due to my standards, but i cant just ignore certain problems just because the car still pulls strong and makes power. I need to know that everything is in good shape, down to the smallest creeks and rattles.

Anyway, i would never imagine that the 1 will be as fast as a highly modded evo, but does it have the potential to? i mean, is 400hp possible on the 135's stock motor?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diiirk View Post
i appreciate the input Denial, sounds like you were definatly in the same boat. A modified evo definatly has its problems, and it may partially be due to my standards, but i cant just ignore certain problems just because the car still pulls strong and makes power. I need to know that everything is in good shape, down to the smallest creeks and rattles.

Anyway, i would never imagine that the 1 will be as fast as a highly modded evo, but does it have the potential to? i mean, is 400hp possible on the 135's stock motor?
Sure, it's possible. Anything's possible. But if you're going to do that then you might as well keep the Evo as you'll be in the same damn boat you're in right now (only with the 135i). My opinion? If you get the 135i, keep it super simple: cosmetic mods, downpipe + exhaust, CONSERVATIVE chip, intake, done.

You know, after some years of modifying, tinkering, racing cars, I realize why the high HP cars cost so much damn money :wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #17
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diiirk View Post
what have most of you guys got the 135 for after taxes, fees and all that?
I loaded mine up pretty heavily, so I paid a little over $47K after taxes and fees. But I only paid MSRP for the car. Anyone who tries to charge you over MSRP is just trying to rip you off.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

also, check out corvettes. i've seen some going for under 40k around december.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #19
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

If you do buy a 135i. Think about this way.
Dinan = 84hp
Cold Air Intake = 5-10hp (When it comes out)
Exhaust = 15hp
As far as performance mods go. Theres 400hp out the door, and a car that can beat a E46 M3. The fact of the matter is that, this car is no joke. A car that starts at 35k, can muster up so much excitement out of a person, that once they get inside the car, you feel as if it's your first time driving a stick. I get that feeling everytime I am inside a car, I know that has the capability of doing great things. Just take a glance at the race sticky. In the span of less than a year this car is dominating all in it's path. I for one can't wait till my 1. That can't seem to be soon enough!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 03:21 AM   #20
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Dinan = 84hp
Exhaust = 15hp
As far as performance mods go. Theres 400hp out the door, and a car that can beat a E46 M3.
It could keep up with the new E92 V8 M3 with that kind of power.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #21
denial
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Dinan = 84hp
Exhaust = 15hp
As far as performance mods go. Theres 400hp out the door, and a car that can beat a E46 M3. The fact of the matter is that, this car is no joke. A car that starts at 35k, can muster up so much excitement out of a person, that once they get inside the car, you feel as if it's your first time driving a stick. I get that feeling everytime I am inside a car, I know that has the capability of doing great things. Just take a glance at the race sticky. In the span of less than a year this car is dominating all in it's path. I for one can't wait till my 1. That can't seem to be soon enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
It could keep up with the new E92 V8 M3 with that kind of power.
Just throwing this out there: his current car is putting out more hp TO THE WHEELS than the V8 M3 has at the crank. In other words his Evo would RAPE any and all stock M3's in existence and most likely outhandle them as well..

Again, I understand this car is quick, and can made to be quick. But it is unlikely that he's going to be as impressed with the stock 135i with regards to power output. The power difference between his Evo/135i is just too great. The only reason why I say this is that I just don't want to give him the wrong impression. For the record the power output when I initially drove the car was just *OK* and definitely without raw excitement. I mean, that's what you're going to get with only 300-320 crank hp when you're use to A LOT more (as in the case of diiirk).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #22
itsthechuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135, E34M, E30rally,S6, E30 M3

I paid 37,000 delivered for my 135 with sport, leather, ipod, heated seats. The car has an MSRP of about 39,00 so there is a bit of room to move on the pricing of these things, I had two dealers tell me they wouldn't go under list for the car before I got this price.
Appreciate 0