BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Strykaas
Private
Rep
Drives: Renault 25

Unhappy "Sport Design" suspension : Really painful for my back?

Hi !

The "Sport Design" package that's available for the 1xx coupe I am about to buy features a stiffer suspension. My understanding is that it's aimed at better cornering by inducing less roll. Am I right ?

However, I suspect that this stiffer suspension must be a real pain if you have back / spine issues (nothing very serious, just pain from time to time). Is the difference from the stock suspension that noticeable ? I know bigger wheels mean less comfort.Does the stiffer suspension really makes things a lot worse ? I remember the ring vid where the guy and his GF are filmed from the inside. God they are shaking !

The 'no sport suspension' is also available in the "sport Design" package. Won't that damage the resale value of the car (especially a 135i) ?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

I have the sport suspension on my 135 and the ride was a bit stiff until I switched from run flats to regular tires. It's still tight, but not as bad as it was when going over speed bumps, uneven asphalt, etc. with the RFTs.

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have the sports suspension on my 128i vert. I drove home from Charlotte yesterday, about a hundred miles. Very nice ride. I've spent as much as 12 hours in it. If the road surface is bad, there is some noise and the ride is affected. If the surface is reasonably good, the ride is great. I am using the stock run flats.

Jim
      02-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

My 1 is my daily driver and I am often in it 2-4 hours a day. I have a fairly bad back from being rear ended by a 1980's huge Oldsmobile that wrote off my car at the time. I have no issues with back pain from the time I spend in the 1er, my 2008 Civic Si however would hurt me after awhile as it had about as good of stock suspension as a skateboard does. Lose the RFT's and the ride is actually quite good I think
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

don't fear the suspension, sport or otherwise in the 1, it's the run flats. The suspension is actually quite soft, the rock hard tires are the issue.

swap the tires for some real rubber and if you're like me, you'll have an excellent ride and a small trunk (thanks to my space saver spare)

the car rides better lowered on eibachs and bmw perf dampeners with regular tires than it did on the stock wallowy suspension and run flats.
      02-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
olskooldj
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post
don't fear the suspension, sport or otherwise in the 1, it's the run flats. The suspension is actually quite soft, the rock hard tires are the issue.

swap the tires for some real rubber and if you're like me, you'll have an excellent ride and a small trunk (thanks to my space saver spare)

the car rides better lowered on eibachs and bmw perf dampeners with regular tires than it did on the stock wallowy suspension and run flats.
Totally agree - the suspension is actually quite soft and those RFTs are brutal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Strykaas
Private
Rep

Thanks for your input. Do you mean the RFT (regular flat tyres) are the stock ones that come with car ?
Do you have any picture of the softer rubber tyres you've switched to ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While the original RFT (run-flat tires) Goodyear NCT5s which came on my sport package equipped 128i gave a comfortable ride, I have only 2 herniated discs plus recurrent lower back muscle problems. Also, if you do have back issues, make sure you order the adjustable lumbar support option. Here in the US, we have to order the Premium Package to get it, but I believe it's a stand alone option for the Euro market.

While I didn't see a need to replace the original RFTs until they wore out, the Conti DWS (non RFT) tires I have now are even more confortable.

It's been over 30 years since I drove a Renault, but if you are looking for that kind of long travel suspension ride comfort, it seems like you might want to stick with a French car - is Citroen still in business?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Strykaas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
It's been over 30 years since I drove a Renault, but if you are looking for that kind of long travel suspension ride comfort, it seems like you might want to stick with a French car - is Citroen still in business?
Tom
Sure it is, alive and kicking suspensions :-).

http://www.streetfire.net/video/312-...-c5_179017.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I always get the sport suspension on my BMW’s and get rid of the RFT’s soon after I get the car. The ride is much improved without compromise to handling. So if you buy the sports suspension and it is too rough you can switch tires to fix it. You could even switch to 17” wheels/tires and get a smoother ride. Get the Premium seats, more adjustments for you comfort. The different in seats is huge. If you are a spirited driver or intend on going to the track you should go for the sports suspension.

One thing I would like to mention is if you have minor back issues there may be some stretching exercises you can do to make it go away. About ten minutes a day and you could be pain free. I don’t know your exact condition and you should see a doctor to make sure it is ok but I have hurt my back a few times. Nothing major where I needed surgery but I do the stretching daily and I never have back issues any more.
      02-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Strykaas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I always get the sport suspension on my BMW’s and get rid of the RFT’s soon after I get the car. The ride is much improved without compromise to handling. So if you buy the sports suspension and it is too rough you can switch tires to fix it. You could even switch to 17” wheels/tires and get a smoother ride. Get the Premium seats, more adjustments for you comfort. The different in seats is huge. If you are a spirited driver or intend on going to the track you should go for the sports suspension.

One thing I would like to mention is if you have minor back issues there may be some stretching exercises you can do to make it go away. About ten minutes a day and you could be pain free. I don’t know your exact condition and you should see a doctor to make sure it is ok but I have hurt my back a few times. Nothing major where I needed surgery but I do the stretching daily and I never have back issues any more.
Intersting 'hands-on' feedback .

Regarding wheels, is there a real noticeable difference between the 18' and the 17' ? I want the 261M wheels so bad . I'll check the premium seats option as well. I think these are better than the 'sport' ones ?

Yes, minor back issues, no herniated disc, but still, I have to take care of what I do. Seen many doctors, and there's nothing to do, apart from growing muscles around me :-).

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

.....tires.....get rid of the rft
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
As others have said, the sport suspension is not that stiff. I think you'll actually benefit from the sport package because the seats are better than the regular seats. People tend to focus on the added bolsters (which are fine) but, to me, the sport seats have better back support than the standard seats. They support the entire back very nicely - not just with some lumpy lumbar bulge (driven an Accord lately?). This is the first car I've owned in 15 years that I did not have to somehow modify the padding in the seatback.
      03-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #14
new128
First BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I have the sports package. I previously had an RSX with a manual lumbar adjustment and I was able to get the seat adjusted so it was very comfortable. My 128 does not have the lumbar and I thought this was going to be a problem, but the 128 sports seat is more comfortable than the RSX. It usually takes me about a week to get the seat on a new car adjusted to be perfect, then it doesn't get moved. (Getting into the back seat is always through the passenger side. )
As far as the suspension, the RSX is much harsher. The RSX is now my wife's car and everytime I drive it, I notice the difference. I would describe the 128 as stiff, but not harsh - very comfortable in my mind. (When I got the car, in December, I immediately put on my non-RFT snows - only had the stock RFTs on for a day, so have no real experience yet with the RFTs) My wife thinks it is a very comfortable ride - which should say it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Strykaas
Private
Rep

Thanks for your detailed answers, it really helps me a lot figuring out what is best for me. I've re-read BMW documentation, it seems as if there are two seat models available, std or sport. The lumbar, electrically controlled, bulge is optional, but may be regarded as a gadget according to what I've read here.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Prof T
COACH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135 conv, 2009 M3

Lumber support werks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

i have the sport package in my 2008 128i which also included 8 way sport seats. i think the added seat functions makes the car way more comfortable, even with the slightly stiffer suspension.
      03-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Sorry to go off topic. But can anyone recommend a particular tyre replacement. I'm close to changing all 4 once again and sick of the ride quality and price of the RFTs.

Cheers,

Mad.
Appreciate 0