BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

iPhone 4 and Bluetooth

Is anyone else experiencing reception problems with iPhone 4 bluetooth connections in their cars.

Mine has got progressively worse, to the stage that my callers think I am underwater..

My reception was perfect with past iPhones and Nokia phones, even with the roof completely down and driving, everyone would comment on the bluetooth clarity.

My reception is perfect, in that I can hear the caller with 100% clarity, but to them, I just sound like I am muffled and gurgly, with excess background interference.

I have also noticed that whilst dialing the number, the little antenna near the signal strength bars on the screen, is solid and unmoving. Once the I connect, the antenna will flash continuously.

Have tried turning the 3G off on the phone, but this only helps marginally.

There seems to be a bit of chatter in regards to this problem on this site, http://www.theapplepress.com/2010/08...exposed-video/ but no apparent answer, besides that iphone 4 bluetooth connection is SHIT.

Anyone have any ideas besides throwing the iPhone in Homebush Bay..

Last edited by Zuzu; 07-23-2011 at 01:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

Maybe it's the mic in the car that's screwing up?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
Jude Starr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d hatch & X1 23D

No, I have never had a moment's problem with my iPhone bluetooth connection. I did have loads of issues with dropouts etc with a previous Nokia N series phone (well known problem with N & E series Nokias apparently), but since I got the iPhone I would have to say my reception has been perfect. I guess you need to figure out if the issue is with the phone itself, or with the bluetooth connection of the car...are there any other phones you can connect and experiment with?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have not had any issues with mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
Maybe it's the mic in the car that's screwing up?
Possible, but don't think so..

No way of checking the mic.. or is there.

Mine is situated on the top end of the steering column being a vert.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Starr View Post
No, I have never had a moment's problem with my iPhone bluetooth connection. I did have loads of issues with dropouts etc with a previous Nokia N series phone (well known problem with N & E series Nokias apparently), but since I got the iPhone I would have to say my reception has been perfect. I guess you need to figure out if the issue is with the phone itself, or with the bluetooth connection of the car...are there any other phones you can connect and experiment with?
Good point..Have tried two different iPhone 4's with same bad result..

Will have to get hold of a standard size sim card and give my Nokia N55 a go.

I don't think it is the mic, as the antenna signal shouldn't be flashing on connection..

Can someone check their connection and let me know if their antenna signal flashes on reception..Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

I'm pretty sure that mine flashes and always has when in a call. I've had no problems, in the 3 years I've had the car (touch wood). In fact, people are often amazed when I tell them I'm in the car.
      07-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
135iYES
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135I VERT

ive got an iphone 4 and the bluetooth is exceptional in the 1 series like you were saying even when the roof is down, the signal flashes while your on a call. try powering down the iphone and then turning it on again seems to solve a lot of gremlins with the iphones.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I think it's the convertible. I have an iPhone 4 and have also tested other phones and with each one the people I call hate the sound quality. I can hear them fine.
It's not a phone or reception issue, I have non of these problems in the 130i, only in the 135i vert.
I'd love to hear other convertible owners and what they think of the Bluetooth connection.
I'm only referring to when the roof is up, I can understand if it was crap whilst down but sadly that's not the case.
Is this common for the convertibles or should I get BMW to look at it?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Not exactly reception problems but i have difficulties hooking up my bluetooth in general with any iPhone 4s......
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I think it's the convertible. I have an iPhone 4 and have also tested other phones and with each one the people I call hate the sound quality. I can hear them fine.
It's not a phone or reception issue, I have non of these problems in the 130i, only in the 135i vert.
I'd love to hear other convertible owners and what they think of the Bluetooth connection.
I'm only referring to when the roof is up, I can understand if it was crap whilst down but sadly that's not the case.
Is this common for the convertibles or should I get BMW to look at it?
Its not the convertible that's at fault.

As I have mentioned before, over the past 3 years with other phone brands, the blue tooth has worked 100%, with the roof up or down.

Its just this damn iphone 4 that seems to be the problem.

My brother in-law who is GM at Bega Toyota/Subaru, told me today that they only have problems with iphone 4's pairing with cars blue tooths.
Not all cars, but a vast majority.. It is a intermittent problem with only certain iphone 4's..
They have even received a bulletin from Toyota head office detailing this problem..

He told me to download the latest software version for the phone and then give it a go.

Did that , but still shite...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I've paired 3 different iPhone4s with mine - no issues whatsoever... must be extremely hit and miss...
      07-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I've paired 3 different iPhone4s with mine - no issues whatsoever... must be extremely hit and miss...
True... Just extremely f###ing annoying.

Thanks all for you replies..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I'd suggest pairing up a few other phones to see if the problem is still occurring. Your mic could possibly be damaged or maybe you did a software update and it's no longer working?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Zuzu, you can call Apple and complain - 1300-321-456 and tell them the issue doesn't happen with other phones or another iPhone, they'll send you a replacement. Or since you live somewhere decent, just make a booking with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they will replace it on the spot. If you backup before on the computer, you can restore all your data - messages, settings, photos, etc... They are really good with this stuff. Might not fix the issue but worth a shot. In the least you get a new phone!
      07-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Your mic could possibly be damaged or maybe you did a software update and it's no longer working?
You might have a point there mate..

If you mean BMW dealer software update.

Now that I think about it, It started playing up after my last BMW software update, which coincided with my iphone replacement..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Zuzu, you can call Apple and complain - 1300-321-456 and tell them the issue doesn't happen with other phones or another iPhone, they'll send you a replacement. Or since you live somewhere decent, just make a booking with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they will replace it on the spot. If you backup before on the computer, you can restore all your data - messages, settings, photos, etc... They are really good with this stuff. Might not fix the issue but worth a shot. In the least you get a new phone!
Thanks mate..Will give that a shot as well.

Apple are awesome to deal with.. I visited their Chatswood Genius Bar in the past and they have replaced a faulty iphone while you wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

No problems glad I could help. Hopefully it fixes your issue.
Appreciate 0