03-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
AFE Momentum GT

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this system? How does this compare to the other two kits?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...rtno=54-76306&
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this system? How does this compare to the other two kits?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...rtno=54-76306&
Doing some testing on it now http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235078 we will be going back to the dyno due to some technicality errors we ran into.

Surprisingly even with the hotter temps and increased DA dropping load and the air snorkel not connected to the intake box correctly it still managed to make the same amount of power as the older version with a 4 whp difference.

So far it looks very promising even with all the disadvantages it faced
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
That's great. So this is a new system then? I hadn't seen this one before.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
That's great. So this is a new system then? I hadn't seen this one before.
Yes it was released some time back in mid 2015
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Looks like a redesign of their old closed N54 intake. I would imagine that it performs about the same.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #6
Willortiz
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Would you be interested in the other version thats not enclosed?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Looks like a redesign of their old closed N54 intake. I would imagine that it performs about the same.
The problem with the older version is it was not vacuum sealed like the stock box. This allowing only passive air mixed with engine bay heat with no true vacuum. The newer version is completely sealed allowing more vacuum pull of cold ambient air from the front of the car as BMW designed and engineer the purpose of the air snorkel

So in terms you have a direct stock replacement but with much much more better air flow, here is the proof

I sealed up the old version and those were the gains after adaptation plus it was 7°f hotter and more humid ie south Florida humidity

Adding air scoops will help trap and push more dense air from the front grill up the snorkel when the car is moving.

It all started here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...00&postcount=1 which resulted in producing the GT Momentum
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
The problem with the older version is it was not vacuum sealed like the stock box. This allowing only passive air mixed with engine bay heat with no true vacuum. The newer version is completely sealed allowing more vacuum pull of cold ambient air from the front of the car as BMW designed and engineer the purpose of the air snorkel

So in terms you have a direct stock replacement but with much much more better air flow, here is the proof

I sealed up the old version and those were the gains after adaptation plus it was 7°f hotter and more humid ie south Florida humidity

Adding air scoops will help trap and push more dense air from the front grill up the snorkel when the car is moving.

It all started here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...00&postcount=1 which resulted in producing the GT Momentum
Wait. Those boxes werent fully sealed?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #9
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Wait. Those boxes werent fully sealed?
On the old aFe Stage 2 SI and SI Elite , nope. I had to custom seal them up. Based off of my sealed concept aFe then released a fully vacuum sealed version which is the GT Momentum as I provided hardcore proof of the gains being vacuum sealed like the stock box without retuning but recommended in order to take full advantage of the GT Momentum intake
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
Mrated
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2001 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I want to order it, so is 54-76306-X the afe part number. I saw on turnermotorsports website it says that it fits the '11 1M. I was hoping someone can verify this because on afe website it doesn't list the 1M. Just waiting on confirmation. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #11
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

Yes it fits the 1m, i have it on my 1 m
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #12
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
Yes it fits the 1m, i have it on my 1 m
Nice. How do you like it? Easy install? Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

Easy install, looks good under the hood, but to maximize it, you have to tune for it
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #14
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hi everyone, we finished up testing the GT Momentum on Saturday. We managed to get increase of power but had to retune to take better advantage of the new intake.

However the retune resulted in lower duty cycle and lower boost with 10°f increase in shop temps from the previous test with the older aFe Stage 2 SI. What this means is the car is now producing more power at a better efficiency rate ie less work on the turbos.

I will go through all the detail on a new post.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Look fwd to reading
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

As do I!

I hadn't seen this model, and was so close to pulling the trigger on a Gruppe M as I'm not a massive fan of anything else out in the market at the moment. This may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Super excited to see the full write up
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi everyone, we finished up testing the GT Momentum on Saturday. We managed to get increase of power but had to retune to take better advantage of the new intake.

However the retune resulted in lower duty cycle and lower boost with 10°f increase in shop temps from the previous test with the older aFe Stage 2 SI. What this means is the car is now producing more power at a better efficiency rate ie less work on the turbos.

I will go through all the detail on a new post.
Hi mate,

Is this test an update of the one featured below? In that it didn't seem like you weren't overly enamored due to the heat soak, and preferred the ECS option:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19082599
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #18
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Hi mate,

Is this test an update of the one featured below? In that it didn't seem like you weren't overly enamored due to the heat soak, and preferred the ECS option:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19082599
Yes, correct. Plastic will not repel and dissipate heat like carbon fiber. This is an undisputed fact. So you will get some amount heat soak with a plastic intake. That is with every single component part in the engine bay made of plastic like the sock intake and stock inlets.

Keep in mind I'm in South Florida where it very hot with tropical humid weather. The ECS Tuning carbon fiber intake is more expensive and have been tested up to 25 PSI with upgraded inlets. A plastic or carbon fiber intake is still better that an open DCI setup which sucks in hot engine bay temps even at 60 MPH. You would have to be over 80 MPH for the DCI to begin capturing ambient temps

vs an enclosed CAI setup, stock used as an example

The aFe GT Momentum is good up to 20-21 PSI before it starts to choke. It is more ideal for those who are not interested in pushing that much boost on stock turbos

If you want carbon fiber for better efficiency and as a better guard against heat soak it will run you $150 more over the aFe GT momentum.

It all depends on your pockets. I've ran both intake systems on one of my cars, I favor the carbon fiber because im running over 22 PSI and it offers better efficiency.

I haven't gotten to completing the review yet on the aFE GT Momentum, been trying to get tunes out of the way and references together. I will get to it eventually
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 03:47 AM   #19
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, correct. Plastic will not repel and dissipate heat like carbon fiber. This is an undisputed fact. So you will get some amount heat soak with a plastic intake. That is with every single component part in the engine bay made of plastic like the sock intake and stock inlets.

Keep in mind I'm in South Florida where it very hot with tropical humid weather. The ECS Tuning carbon fiber intake is more expensive and have been tested up to 25 PSI with upgraded inlets. A plastic or carbon fiber intake is still better that an open DCI setup which sucks in hot engine bay temps even at 60 MPH. You would have to be over 80 MPH for the DCI to begin capturing ambient temps

vs an enclosed CAI setup, stock used as an example

The aFe GT Momentum is good up to 20-21 PSI before it starts to choke. It is more ideal for those who are not interested in pushing that much boost on stock turbos

If you want carbon fiber for better efficiency and as a better guard against heat soak it will run you $150 more over the aFe GT momentum.

It all depends on your pockets. I've ran both intake systems on one of my cars, I favor the carbon fiber because im running over 22 PSI and it offers better efficiency.

I haven't gotten to completing the review yet on the aFE GT Momentum, been trying to get tunes out of the way and references together. I will get to it eventually
Awesome information, thank you!

Heat soak and overly high intake temps is what has stopped me buying anything thus far. I've been contemplating going the Gruppe M option as their build quality is phenomenal and it's a true sealed intake system as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately it's difficult to find any real world results with it, and if you ask the question most people pan it as being too expensive and just to go the DCI route, which doesn't interest me.

I really just want the best intake. Cost is a consideration for sure, but I want to do it once and do it right. Stock turbo's, Wagner Comp 2 'cooler, N55 mids, Remus backbox, VTT inlets and a tune is as far as I'm going motor-wise. I have everything else ready to roll, just no intake as yet...

In my situation, do you think the ECS would be the best option, or do yo have any experience with the Gruppe M stuff?

Thanks again, it's great to see some proper unbiased testing going on.

Dane
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Dane and Dimitri. Why not just wrap in heat protective foil? They use it in racing as you know.
Attached Images

///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #21
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Any thoughts on this system? One of the vendors recently posted:

https://www.armaspeedusa.com/collect...cts/e82-intake
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
Mrated
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2001 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thanks for confirming the fitment, I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for the info guys!!
Appreciate 0