BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Power Seat Still Working?

Have to start with a confession. I could afford to loses 20 pounds. This after having already lost 35 pounds between February and now (August). I feel pretty good, but I plan to lose another 20. It will do a lot to improve my health.

Anyway...because I have been a little overweight, it has been necessary to move the driver seat all the way back to get out comfortably, and forward again to drive. I am using the power seat memory buttons to do this... switch #1 moves me back to get out. Switch #2 puts me forward into the driving position.

This system works great, as long as the power seat continues to move on command. But I am using it multiple times each day and am concerned about how long the motors, mechanicals, and switches will continue to work. I tend to pull gently on the steering wheel to take some of the strain off the system when it is pulling me forward. Not sure this is helping.

Has anyone worn out their power driver's seat, or will it outlive me?
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
MT135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

No need to pull on the steering wheel. The seats will be fine until they aren't.

General causes of failure,
- seat frames twist due to inconsistent pressure
- motors/gears die from dirt build up
- switches fail

Thankfully the power seats are similar assemblies as E92 and several other models, replacement parts are plentiful. You'll be fine.