BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Moton Suspension Technology information from Vorshlag

The Clubsport line is designed for the high performance club racer. Clubsports are built with the same internal parts as our Pro sets, but only have two adjustments, rebound and compression. Starting in 2012, all Clubsport models are built using the same Pro parts.

This ultimate suspension system is by far the finest quality and best handling suspension system on the market today.

Featuring remote reservoirs for superior fluid temperature control, quick release hydraulic lines (on most models) for easy installation, separate compression and rebound damper valving adjustment and height adjustable spring perches, this kit is beyond the more common coilover systems on the market. If your driving can benefit for the ultimate in suspension tuning, then this kit is for you.

The Clubsport damper is double adjustable with separate rebound and compression controls. Each has fifteen adjustment levels to help you dial in for every condition you encounter. They are dependable and easy to work with, this system will allow you to use a wide range of spring rates and eliminate the worry of constantly revalving every time you want to increase or decrease your spring rate, you can put them on and drive.

Clubsport dampers feature the same “blow off” system that allows for low speed compression adjustment while blowing off the compression forces over bumps and curbs. Both the ClubSport and 3-Way Pro use the proven orifice bleed for rebound adjustment. Orifice bleeds allow for consistent adjustment with every click.

When adjusting the dampers, each click is very noticeable to the driver and an ideal setup is easy to find.

The 3-Way Pro adjustable Moton damper features 15 positions of high speed bump, 6 positions of low speed bump and 15 positions of rebound adjustment. The low speed bump adjuster is located on top of the high speed bump adjuster and can be adjusted independently. The low speed bump adjuster is very effective in helping to control body roll while adding to turn-in, and is effective in controlling pitch and squat.

The 3-Way Pro adjustable Moton damper uses a unique blow off valve system in the canister to totally control curb stones and bumpy track conditions. Both the Clubsport and 3-Way Pro use the proven orifice bleed for rebound adjustment. Orifice bleeds allow for consistent adjustment with every click.
The 4-Way Pro adjustable Motorsport damper has been developed over the last few years in conjunction with many professional racing teams all over the World.

After winning the FIA European Touring Car Championship (ETCC) in 2004 with our 3-Way Pro adjustable damper, we designed and developed this unique 4-Way Pro damper with Andy Priaulx’s Team in preparation of the 2005 FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC). The rest is history and the 2005, 2006 and 2007 FIA WTCC title was clinched by Andy Priaulx running the Moton 4-Way Pro damper system.

The 4-Way Pro adjustable Motorsport damper is available as a McPherson Strut in either aluminum or steel or as an aluminum coilover damper. It can be custom built to your specifications. The Moton 4-Way Pro damper features separate low- and high speed bump and rebound control. The two rebound adjusters are located on top of the piston rod and adjust completely independently from each other. Both low- and high speed rebound have an adjustment range of 20 clicks each.

The two compression adjusters are located on top of the reservoir, the low speed bump can be adjusted to 6 different settings by turning the small knob on top of the reservoir. The high speed bump can be adjusted into 15 different settings by turning the large knob on top of the reservoir

The 4-Way Pro damper is features a unique double piston design. The primary main piston has a double non-preloaded valve stack on it for bump and rebound control and is designed for quick response during the smallest movement of the piston. The secondary piston is designed with the use of a unique blow off valve system for high speed rebound control. The low speed rebound is controlled by adjusting an internal needle valve.

Quoted from Vorshlag.com Release.

"This post covers the state of Moton Suspension 8 months after the acquisition by AST and 4 months after resuming operations at the same Moton plant in The Netherlands. There have been too many (wildly inaccurate) internet stories, most based on hearsay and speculation, about "What will happen to Moton!" after they were purchased by AST in May of 2011. Some folks assumed there would be a downgrade in quality, an infusion of AST internal parts, and a general decline of the racing bred shocks that Moton built.

None of that happened; Moton is still Moton, with only a handful of small but necessary (and some optional) improvements made, which were started in 2011 and will continue on into 2012. There have been press releases from Moton USA detailing many of these updates, but I wanted to go over them again here, as the rumor mill keeps churning out misleading information.

Just to point out our motivations: Vorshlag (and Terry Fair) is not in any way owned by or have any ownership stake in AST, Moton, or any other competing shock company. Vorshlag's shop is located about 100 feet from the AST-USA/Moton-USA facility, we are a dealer for both shock brands, and we have purchased, sold, inventoried, repaired, and installed Moton and AST dampers at our facility (among others), so we know a little bit about these shocks. We also work with AST and Moton on some valving, fitment and engineering details on new models and products. We don't just reiterate third hand information about these two shock companies - we see it first hand, every day. So we are an unbiased source (without any ownership in this or another shock company), yet still well informed about Moton Suspension.

Let's talk about the facts and break down the various press releases and other tidbits. First, a piece of old news:

Moton Suspension Back Online - Oct 21, 2011

After the acquisition of Moton in May this year we are completely up and running. Behind the scenes we have been working hard and the results are exceptional ! The new website is online and we have added a complete product list on the website. We now have all the key parts back in stock which were not available at the time of the transition and are able to produce shocks. Therefore Moton is ready to receive new orders and can service existing suspension systems.

The new websites were both improvements over the old:
http://www.motonsuspension.com/
http://moton-usa.com/

Moton-USA was up and working with race teams almost immediately, taking over service work at the AST-USA facility. Typical turn-around times for Moton shock work are measured in ones of days, instead of weeks or even months. They announced a Fall Rebuild Sale in November, to help let their customers try out the now combined AST-USA/Moton-USA rebuild facility in Plano, Texas - with staffing and equipment increases to match the new combined work load. They also started interfacing directly with the Moton factory in Holland, who began building new shocks for existing and new race team customers.

Yes, there have been a few small improvements to some Moton procedures and coatings, but generally they are being built with the same internals, shafts, bodies, and same high quality parts as before. The same Moton factory is still operating in Uden, Netherlands. AST and Moton are still separate companies with their own distinct product lines.

Moton 2012 Product Updates

Most of these details come word-for-word from the November Press Release from Moton-USA, but I will expand upon them based on the additional questions we have received and some details we have learned about here at Vorshlag. I have also linked to the video that Moton-USA made to better describe the updates to the Orifice Bleed Rebound system (new machining process to the existing rebound valving style).

---

Moton Suspension – USA is proud to announce updates to the existing Moton product line. After more than ten years of successful production, updates to the portfolio were needed to keep the product competitive in today’s marketplace.

We asked professional teams and consumers what they liked and didn’t like about Moton as a company and a product. Users applauded the adjustment range of the damper, the bulletproof design, and large compression adjustment range. The two areas of improvement were the high stiction caused by the 22mm shafts and the lack of piston choices.

After working the AST/Moton booth at the PRI show, and hearing from race teams and dealers first hand, I feel that asking race team customers what they liked and wanted to see improved with Motons was the right path to take. This led the engineers to work out some improvements early on, which made immediate performance improvements. Next some machining improvements were made, on processes that were dated and less efficient.

Low Drag Seals

For ClubSport, 3-Way Pro, and 4-Way Pro models, Moton Suspension is updating the main seal to a new low drag seal. This is the same Low Drag seal developed and used in GRAND AM racing in 2011 on the AST 5220, and will also make its way into the AST 4150/4250 in 2012. While the 22mm shaft used in all Moton products provides high fluid displacement for large compression control, it also creates a seal drag greater than smaller shaft dampers.

Lightweight, tube frame race cars are particularly sensitive to seal drag. The compromise found in this design has been corrected, based on feedback from professional endurance race teams, and all previous generation dampers can be upgraded to the new low drag seals. These low drag seals decrease hysteresis and stiction in the damper, allowing for a more precise tuning of shock damping.

Specialty Shaft Coatings

In addition to main seals, all models will have the option of Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) coated shafts. DLC uses a carbon structure applied on the hard chrome surface to offer lower drag especially in high load MacPherson strut applications. Early testing shows a 44% reduction in seal drag.

There are additional friction coatings that can be applied to the reservoir and shock bodies, inside and out; this lowers friction on the internal pistons that ride against the casings. The optional Kashima coating (shown above) also offers a reduction in drag and stiction, allowing the piston to react quicker to shock forces.

Performance Damper Fluid

All Moton shocks will be available with our latest specially formulated damper fluid. This optional fluid has been proven in endurance racing for years and is being blended to meet our customer’s needs. Our new fluid has the highest Viscosity Index and performance parameters of any damper fluid on the market. We tested it against the former Moton fluid and found less hysteresis and stiction with the new fluid. Due to its cost, it will be provided as an option.

They have a lot of high end fluids at AST/Moton, acquired from all over the world, and they have tested some brands I'd never heard of. Red, yellow, purple - this isn't just "simple hydraulic fluid". They have a blend that was perfected in GRAND AM and we've used it in many of our own shocks. Tastes great, less filling. There's just not much more I can add here.

Double Digressive Pistion (DDP) Technology

Consumers and professional race teams have always appreciated Moton’s smooth operation attributed to the “zero preload” piston that has carried the product for more than ten years of dominance in racing. Our 44mm DDP Moton piston design, similar to the one developed for GRAND-AM racing, has been proven on a 7-post (shaker) rig to offer what race drivers and race engineers want – direct feel from the chassis at slow shaft velocities and soaking up the bumps and curbs at high speeds. Digressive pistons allow the damper engineer to preload the shim stack enough to give the driver control, but also to “blow off” over bumps and curbs. This same design (40mm piston) found in our AST brand won three GRAND-AM races in 2011 and nearly 50% of the podium spots after being introduced halfway through the season.

We began testing DDP for street cars and noticed a byproduct of the new design. When the rebound adjustment is soft, the damper curve looks similar to an OEM street shock profile. When the rebound adjustment is hard, the damper curve looks like a race shock. The digressive piston will be available as an option on all Moton product lines.

Here at Vorshlag, after testing with the new DDP pistons in mid-2011 in various AST shocks, we are now only ordering new Moton shocks with the DDP pistons, unless the customer specifies otherwise. If you want to stick with the old style pistons in your new Motons, I am sure they would be happy to ship them with the old inventory Moton pistons.

One small fact: the AST and Moton piston sizes are different, so even though they both have extremely digressive "DDP" piston options now, they are not interchangeable.

Orifice Bleed Rebound Adjuster Update

Moton’s orifice bleed design is a favorite among racers in regards to adjusting rebound damping. Since precision is key in a high performance damper, the current process for drilling the bleed holes was deemed unacceptable. The current design was susceptible to inconsistent force adjustment when small errors occurred during the drilling process. Watch the video below and you can see how these holes were drilled on past Moton designs, which dated back to 1980s-era Koni techniques.

click for video on orifice bleed changes
http://ast-usa.smugmug.com/Track-Eve...2WLtW&lb=1&s=A

The guys at Moton-USA were trying to describe this orifice bleed issue to me verbally, and I wasn't getting it - then they showed the the old and new style shaft holes, and it all made sense. We asked if they could shoot a video of this and they did - it clears up a lot about how it was done before and how it is improved now, as well as how an orifice bleed system works in general. Big thanks to Brian at Moton-USA for taking the time to make this video.

The new rebound system builds on the success of the original orifice bleed design, but instead moves the orifice to a CNC machined orifice adjuster ring (OAR). Different profile rings can be used for different pistons and different adjustment range requirements of the damper. The CNC machined OAR adjusters will boast a higher quality precision adjustment mechanism than the older design. No more hand drilled holes between threads on a hardened steel shaft - with a less than ideal "yield rate" (you could spend all day drilling these tiny holes in shafts, but you will end up with a handful of junk shafts and broken bits). All existing Moton dampers can be upgraded to the new orifice adjuster ring, which is more precise and tunable.

---

So that's what's changed - some are now standard items and others are optional upgrades, but nothing that could be construed as a downgrade in quality or a decrease in the performance potential of Moton shocks. AST and Moton products are still distinctly different, and the companies are separate. The experiences learned from a hugely successful season in Continental GRAND AM (with 28 of 30 podiums in GS) has gone into some of these improvements, of course.

I hope this helps clear up some misconceptions out there. Of course there will always be fans of competing shock products, who will always stick with what or who they know, which is great. At least now we have the facts here plain for all to see - any changes to Moton products after May 2010 (when the old company went bankrupt) were minimal, necessary and obvious improvements.

Thank you"
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 07-13-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have raced with Ast and had it on my track car and i am not a big fan of it. It doesn t inspire me that a company like Ast owns moton. I have raced with moton a lot it was a great shock when the company was on their own. But after it went bankrupt and got sold to AST we changed to JRZ and with big succes.

We use JRZ triple adjustment shocks on the race BMW GT4 and i use JRZ RS1 on my 1M coupe trackday car.

I hope moton stays moton within Ast but i also heard rumors that they are putting ast internals in moton shocks. Lets hope not!

Everybody has their favourite but for me it's JRZ and the moton bevor bankrupsy. Moton and JRZ were in the base setup almost the same.

I wish ast/moton all the best and hope they can keep the moton quality alive.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have raced with Ast and had it on my track car and i am not a big fan of it. It doesn t inspire me that a company like Ast owns moton. I have raced with moton a lot it was a great shock when the company was on their own. But after it went bankrupt and got sold to AST we changed to JRZ and with big succes.

We use JRZ triple adjustment shocks on the race BMW GT4 and i use JRZ RS1 on my 1M coupe trackday car.

I hope moton stays moton within Ast but i also heard rumors that they are putting ast internals in moton shocks. Lets hope not!

Everybody has their favourite but for me it's JRZ and the moton bevor bankrupsy. Moton and JRZ were in the base setup almost the same.

I wish ast/moton all the best and hope they can keep the moton quality alive.
This is a thread is about Moton, not for you to bash AST, that is another thread if you would like to start one. I would like to hear what you have to say about AST.

I wish you took the time to read the post, Moton is still Moton, and not a company within AST. If you are worried that AST internals will end up in Moton, you can be at ease, the internals are not interchangeable between AST and Moton even though they may share the DDP technology, they are distinctly differernt products. The new Moton has a long overdue uprades to the internals as well.

I see you are a fan of JRZ, that is a great product as well. Now, you have a good baseline with JRZ, try the new Moton and have a legitimate comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

It s not a bash. Everybody has there favorite. The main problem i had with AST is the adjustments.

If you do one click bump/rebound on a JRZ / Moton something happens you can really feel it. On AST you can click all you want but you hardly feel anything. And we had lots of leaking shocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
It s not a bash. Everybody has there favorite. The main problem i had with AST is the adjustments.

If you do one click bump/rebound on a JRZ / Moton something happens you can really feel it. On AST you can click all you want but you hardly feel anything. And we had lots of leaking shocks.
Those were the early days, Moton has the same issue with their Street Sport when they first came out as well, KW's had issues with anti roll bar bracket snapping off and an annoying valving noise, Koni's had clicking noise with some of the double adjust products, JRZ even had some noisy RS1's so no one is immune from issues.

Again, AST is a different product than JRZ/Moton and the price point shows that. AST is a good product and the new DDP technology is making it better.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

It is normal and also desirable that an experienced Forum member like Advevo shares his insight, positive or negative in any thread. There is a vendors sub forum to avoid this kind of unnecessary dialogue, if this is just to promote a commercial product. Please don't forget that here is a sub forum that anyone can talk freely about the posted idea/concept or product. And if he was unfair about this particular product, I am confident that somebody else would pop in and give his counter arguement against his. So, please just tell us your own points, facts etc. and leave the rest to readers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
It is normal and also desirable that an experienced Forum member like Advevo shares his insight, positive or negative in any thread. There is a vendors sub forum to avoid this kind of unnecessary dialogue, if this is just to promote a commercial product. Please don't forget that here is a sub forum that anyone can talk freely about the posted idea/concept or product. And if he was unfair about this particular product, I am confident that somebody else would pop in and give his counter arguement against his. So, please just tell us your own points, facts etc. and leave the rest to readers.
To be fair, one customer's single experience might not reflect the entire line-up of a company's products over their entire span of existence. Harold was right in pointing out that there have been substantial changes to the AST product line over time.

Six years ago when Vorshlag brought AST to the US shores we had the factory make significant changes to their existing lineup of Sportline I and II shocks and helped create the 4100, 4200, and 5100 line of AST coilover dampers. Since then all of those models have been changed significantly or replaced entirely, and many iterations of components have been introduced into each. Instead of sticking with the same stagnant design for 30 years, AST has been constantly evolving and improving their shocks.

AST is also the shock supplier to the GRAND AM series (ST and GS), World Challenge racer, and many other pro and club race teams. They wouldn't be on these cars if they didn't make a great damper. Similarly Moton is on many racer cars the world over, and is also evolving and improving every year.

Gross online generalizations of "this shock sucks" should be countered with more facts and history by vendors and users alike. Harold was well within his rights to give his side of the story. That's the beauty of the internet - lots of input.

Cheers,

Last edited by Fair; 07-14-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
To be fair, one customer's single experience might not reflect the entire line-up of a company's products over their entire span of existence. Harold was right in pointing out that there have been substantial changes to the AST product line over time.

Six years ago when Vorshlag brought AST to the US shores we had the factory make significant changes to their existing lineup of Sportline I and II shocks and helped create the 4100, 4200, and 5100 line of AST coilover dampers. Since then all of those models have been changed significantly or replaced entirely, and many iterations of components have been introduced into each. Instead of sticking with the same stagnant design for 30 years, AST has been constantly evolving and improving their shocks.

AST is also the shock supplier to the GRAND AM series (ST and GS), World Challenge racer, and many other pro and club race teams. They wouldn't be on these cars if they didn't make a great damper. Similarly Moton is on many racer cars the world over, and is also evolving and improving every year.

Gross online generalizations of "this shock sucks" should be countered with more facts and history by vendors and users alike. Harold was well within his rights to give his side of the story. That's the beauty of the internet - lots of input.

Cheers,
You understand that I am not against Harold giving his side of the story, don't you? On the contrary, he should tell what he did tell plus your input is useful too. BUT, a few words (the first aggresive sentence to put it very clearly) were too much in Harold's first post after the Advevo's. At least, I felt that way, that it was a too defensive reply with some unnecessary wording and as you put it yourself, that's the beauty of internet and I wanted to say that this bothered me (I have no doubt that it bothered others too). I have full respect to Harold, maybe I posted solely because I was not expecting him to put a reaction like that.

In short, I am not against what Harold said, or what you said, I am pro whatever Advevo or another user needed to say even if it is unfair and against the title product, since he was not rude or nothing! No need to push people out from posting in the Forum just because you feel their ideas are not making sense or simply unfair.

For me that's all cool now, nothing really deserves arguing, at least I am not going to post on this anymore. Back to subject matter and I would like to hear people who actually uses the Motons on a 1M like Dan Parker if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
You understand that I am not against Harold giving his side of the story, don't you? On the contrary, he should tell what he did tell plus your input is useful too. BUT, a few words (the first aggresive sentence to put it very clearly) were too much in Harold's first post after the Advevo's. At least, I felt that way, that it was a too defensive reply with some unnecessary wording and as you put it yourself, that's the beauty of internet and I wanted to say that this bothered me (I have no doubt that it bothered others too). I have full respect to Harold, maybe I posted solely because I was not expecting him to put a reaction like that.

In short, I am not against what Harold said, or what you said, I am pro whatever Advevo or another user needed to say even if it is unfair and against the title product, since he was not rude or nothing! No need to push people out from posting in the Forum just because you feel their ideas are not making sense or simply unfair.

For me that's all cool now, nothing really deserves arguing, at least I am not going to post on this anymore. Back to subject matter and I would like to hear people who actually uses the Motons on a 1M like Dan Parker if I remember correctly.
For me to say anything remotely close that what Advevo said here in a another product info thread my post would have been deleted by the moderator. I just want this thread to stay on topic.

Lots of Moton users aren't forum guys, here is one good 1M example:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo

Interesting observation, because in my experience the ast adjustment clicks are not vague AT ALL. As a matter of fact, your comments about something happening and really feeling an adjustment change from each individual click is a feature I enjoyed (for the first time) on my ASTs. When did you use AST? Was this three or four years ago?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep

Not sure what ast has in store for operating under the moton label, but the old moton is now motion control systems. If all motons engineers are now operating under motion control systems how is moton operating as a separate function of ast?
      07-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
Not sure what ast has in store for operating under the moton label, but the old moton is now motion control systems. If all motons engineers are now operating under motion control systems how is moton operating as a separate function of ast?
Actually, MCS used to be the Moton Distrubutor for the US. Moton is still Moton in Holland and they still have their engineers and manufacturing capability they always had. And even though Moton-Holland is owned by Smits Machine (aka AST Suspension) they are still separate from AST.

AST-USA is the distributor of AST and Moton products. Because they have access to US market cars that the Dutch don't have access to, they do some of the design work to make fitments for US cars. They also have the Dutch modify fitments to work with US style driving - lots of smooth highways and some competition. So many of the US versions of their products ride lower and have stiffer spring rates than the Euro versions.

AST-USA and Moton-USA isn't just a distributor though. They DO get their hands dirty. They modify and service dampers for a LOT of race teams and rebuild them for street users. Due to our relationship with them, we (Vorshlag) do some fabrication and metal repairs for them when needed.
      12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
Actually, MCS used to be the Moton Distrubutor for the US. Moton is still Moton in Holland and they still have their engineers and manufacturing capability they always had. And even though Moton-Holland is owned by Smits Machine (aka AST Suspension) they are still separate from AST.

AST-USA is the distributor of AST and Moton products. Because they have access to US market cars that the Dutch don't have access to, they do some of the design work to make fitments for US cars. They also have the Dutch modify fitments to work with US style driving - lots of smooth highways and some competition. So many of the US versions of their products ride lower and have stiffer spring rates than the Euro versions.

AST-USA and Moton-USA isn't just a distributor though. They DO get their hands dirty. They modify and service dampers for a LOT of race teams and rebuild them for street users. Due to our relationship with them, we (Vorshlag) do some fabrication and metal repairs for them when needed.
Thanks for clearing things up!
Appreciate 0