BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #45
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Did it ever occur to you that it might not be about the money? The US is a pretty big place with many remote areas and we tend to travel longer distances than people in other countries.
Have you not been to Australia - we are a pretty big place with many remote areas as well...

if you are in Alice Springs and you have HPFP problem the nearest BMW dealer is probably like 1500km....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #46
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
Stop it. This is a flat out lie.

I am on my third hpfp. I always use Shell V Power and hava had my issues....

Between family and friends, I know 7 people who have the n54, 4 of them have had fuel pumps replaced due to failure. Some multiple times. All cars are bone stock.

It's a fun little car, but if you require it for a daily driver, I would think long and hard about it. Luckily, this is not my daily driver, so I have yet to be royally screwed by the failures.
While I agree with this post, as the other poster shouldn't quote exact numbers, I still believe the HPFP problems are exaggerated. Anyone who relies on a group of forum posts to represent the entire BMW community is severely limiting their research. I'm not saying it wasn't a problem, it sure the he** was, but I think it's much improved.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #47
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Sounds more like life's a bitch, then you cry about it
Never cried, never bitched, only stated the facts.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #48
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Wow...you are my hero

Do me a favor and don't buy a BMW, as ppl like you will just end up whining and complaining about the car like the window-winder is too far back, or my rear tyres only lasted 5,000kms etc etc
You're a BMW cuckold. I don't know of any RS4 drivers who are thrilled about having to disassemble their engine every 20k. Are they whiners as well?

Wear items are a completely different story than something of inferior quality or manufacturing issues. I've owned cars that have needed tires replaced every 5k and didn't bat a lash. That same car also had me leaning over to the passengers seat to put that window down. These are not the issues I am talking about. It's about faulty parts from a company that most people seem to think builds durable, quality products.

People need to be aware of the facts before buying these cars. I'm telling the OP the facts of my experience with the car and people are telling me I don't deserve to buy a BMW and should buy a Camry? Take your rose colored glasses off.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #49
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I had 4 long cranks then catastrophic failure. Luckily I was pulling into my driveway...

My first failure happened on a wednesday night... I had my first few long cranks, pulled away and my car went into limp mode. That friday morning I had plans to drive to North Carolina (About a 10 hour roadtrip from my home). The dealership didn't get approval to do the repair until that Friday.

My second failure (2 months later) happened when I got a ten second crank and brought it in right away. They did a pressure test and replaced it the next day.

Like I said, I personally do not care about the issue. I have other cars. What is annoying is having to being inconvenienced 4 days within the first 5 months of ownership for a problem that probably will keep happening. My job and family obligations take priority over sitting in a dealership and getting jerked around.

Last edited by FJUNO78; 11-10-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #50
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

My 135i with the N55 was flawless for the 23k miles I drove it until I traded it in. Now my n54-powered 1M is amazing and honestly, it doesn't even feel like the cranks a full revolution before the car turns on. It happens so fast I had a friend with an e92 m3 comment on it and ask how come his car doesn't turn on so quickly.

As others say, the subject of the hpfp has been overly inflated. These cars are great!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #51
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Have you not been to Australia - we are a pretty big place with many remote areas as well...

if you are in Alice Springs and you have HPFP problem the nearest BMW dealer is probably like 1500km....
Heh... in America I tend to find most people think that Australia = New South Wales and Victoria. Oh, and maybe Ayers Rock for the REALLY educated. There don't seem to be a lot of people who realize that Australia is huge and probably has more available land per capita than just about any other country. You can literally drive for days without seeing another human being (and for one of those days you might not see anything living...)

Don't feel too bad, I'm British which means most Americans think I grew up in a castle where plumbing was a novelty.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #52
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post

As others say, the subject of the hpfp has been overly inflated. These cars are great!
I wouldn't say over inflated as before the recall there were issues with getting it fixed. I had symptoms for 3 mo, 2 software upgrades and finally on a rollback.... During that time i wouldn't travel with the car.

My brother had a rollback quality failure about 6 mo before me (at that time they were trying everything before replacement), since then his pump has been ok, but twice he's had major stuttering, and limp modes requiring injectors.

Our good friend got stranded in an n55 3 series 8 hours from home on a thursday night. Couldn't get fixed friday so he had to rent car, drive back home; then return the next week wasting another day, taking off a day from work, to go pick the car up. Plus he's been fighting with BMW na about at least paying for his rental car and gas, never mind his wasted 18 hours of travel and day off work...

While it's not normal i agree, it's major league when it happens. In my circle of friends and family we're 3/6 (n54 at 10k, n54 at 28k, n55 at 11k).
      11-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #53
Mr Marcus
Objects in the rear view mirror are losing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i N55

I have a 135i coupe and I wouldn't sell it for anything, fast, tidy handling, looks awesome and makes me smile EVERY time I start her up. And I live in Australia so I paid $100,000AUD (£63,000UK or $101,000US) so it annoys me to hear people's menstrual whining about their cars when they paid buttons for them overseas and had to get something fixed under warranty. Harden up ladies.

If you have some problems so what, go to your dealer and get them fixed, owning a decent BMW is a joy and even typing this I am thinking up an excuse to go for a drive.
      11-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #54
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
HAHAH u guys are NUTS.. My car I bought brand new in march 2010 it had been in service over 30 times.. YOU ARE BRAIN WASHED TO THINK THAT IS NORMAL.

BMW cars are JUNK.

You see these threads constantly... What does that tell you.

I had my car towed twice in one month. BMW had to do a carbon clean up of my engine at 30k miles. They also replaced a ton of parts in my engine.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 11-13-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #55
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
I hate this sentiment. I read it all the time, and it smacks of arrogance and elitism. "Look at me, I can afford a BMW, and you obviously can't."

And your anecdotal quote of personally knowing only a few forum members with HPFP issues is the flip side of people only posting problems on forums. Both are useless from a statistical standpoint.

Personally, my 135i has been more problematic for me than my E46 M3. Since I've owned the car (May 2008), I've had: spark plugs replaced, injectors replaced, HPFP campaign performed, water pump replaced, and the car is currently in the shop for another engine stumbling problem. It has 65k miles, bone stock, never seen track time, and is my daily driver, with some modest amounts of "enthusiastic" driving. I don't feel my usage pattern is much outside the average for 135i owners.

On the other hand, the E46 M3 was nearly problem free during it's 55k mile term. Ironically, I traded in the M3 for the 135i based on my concerns for the cost of out of warranty maintenance for the S54 engine and SMG transmission.

As always, YMMV may vary, but the issues I've listed above do tend to be the problematic areas for 135i.

EDIT: And the SA just called: 4 faulty spark plugs (he said N54/5s need plug replacement every 30-40k miles), bad block coolant temp sensor, bad O2 sensor. Total = $1600.

I realize this is just my own experience, but I'm really regretting not purchasing the extended warranty, and would recommend people seriously think about the extended if you want to keep a 135i past 50k miles.
EXACTLY MY STORY..^^^

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #56
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
HAHAH u guys are NUTS.. My car I bought brand new in march 2010 it had been in service over 30 times.. YOU ARE BRAIN WASHED TO THINK THAT IS NORMAL.

BMW cars are JUNK.

You see these threads constantly... What does that tell you.

I had my car towed twice in one month. BMW had to do a carbon clean up of my engine at 30k miles. They also replaced a ton of parts in my engine.
What that tells me is you are one of the unfortunate FEW that has a lemon and shouldve realised that by now rather than being retarded and calling BMW's junk..

I bought my car before you did and ive had it serviced once for warranty stuff. Maybe you constantly drive like a moron, who knows. Ive had no problems with my car and I love her, so i guess just sucks to be you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #57
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What that tells me is you are one of the unfortunate FEW that has a lemon and shouldve realised that by now rather than being retarded and calling BMW's junk..

I bought my car before you did and ive had it serviced once for warranty stuff. Maybe you constantly drive like a moron, who knows. Ive had no problems with my car and I love her, so i guess just sucks to be you.
A moron.. Sorry but I did not insult you. Here is a pic of a women yelling at a service person cus here BRAND NEW 7 will not work. Its not just my car. I have had 3 recalls on this car. One a MONTH after having it. Great Design.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #58
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]

Where did you get that pic?? Did you just happen to be at your dealer while there was a shouting match outside? God thats random

P.S. And its not an insult to assume someone drives like a moron. Alot of people do, most without realizing it, its called reality sir. If you beat the hell outta ur car all the time and wonder why you have issues, then ur a moron. I never said YOU fit in there, it was a suggestion. Im gonna go drive my perfectly working bmw
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #59
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Where did you get that pic?? Did you just happen to be at your dealer while there was a shouting match outside? God thats random

P.S. And its not an insult to assume someone drives like a moron. Alot of people do, most without realizing it, its called reality sir. If you beat the hell outta ur car all the time and wonder why you have issues, then ur a moron. I never said YOU fit in there, it was a suggestion. Im gonna go drive my perfectly working bmw
Took the pic at my dealer. It happens almost everyday I go to get my car serviced. My car is stock and has never been to the track.

So from what you telling me a BMW can not be driven hard?

I drove my IS 300 the same way, still has 159k miles on it. (I baby it) Runs like a champ.

Also how many miles are on ur car thez99??

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #60
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Well thanks for whoring this thread, im sure the op appreciates it..

I find it hard to believe that every day shit is going wrong at your dealer with any BMW, aside from that how often do you go to your dealer?? I mean seriously if your car is goin in that often for service, thats what a lemon is...thats when you start asking for a replacement. Saying a car can be driven "hard" is a long comparison between a car constantly being driven at the edge which is what I was referring to as driving like a moron. Even doing so, sure the car may not show signs of wear right away, but driving all the time like that, things will go wrong much more likely alot faster. I have 16k miles on mine, i dont have a huge commute every day thankfully, but I plan on keeping her a while longer and I dont see any issues coming up honestly, other than the obvious needed warranty services at 25-30k or whatnot. You can say "well just wait, shit will happen soon" all you want, but honestly, how many other people are there like you on these forums that think bmws are shit and have their car in consistently for problems?? Maybe 2-3? YOU have the issues, not everyone. Get your shit replaced or get a different car and stop whoring these threads with your bitching and moaning
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #61
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

dude. youre fine. The issues with the N54 and N55 platforms have been blown out of proportion by a minority of forum members doing constant bitching.

I bought my 08 new with 6 miles on the clock. I now have over 70K on the car.
Were there issues? Yes. Did BMW fix them for free and no give me crap about them? No. Do I have any issues now? No.

Thats the summary. Now for full disclosure. I have had 2 tops replaced. My first burned out a motor which snapped the belts and twisted to top frame, the car sat for 3 weeks on a top but it was fixed. The second was replaced because of a first year issue with the tops, a hole wore through the rear quarter of the top, this has been rectified and doesnt happen on the 1er anymore.

I had a dashboard replacement after the dash in my car had been out 3 times previously. This was because my original dash wasnt installed properly at the factory and was rattling. It worked out too because when my car was up for a replacement. There werent any non-idrive dashboards in the states. So they ordered direct from germany. I got the one with the cubbie in where the screen goes, I use that thing all the time.

Ive also had one steering wheel replaced due to delaminating leather and 2 3rd brake lights replaced. Again these issues dont really happen anymore.

apart from that. keep up on the maintenance. Preventative is key on this car.
Change your VANOS solenoids when you do your spark plugs, things like that.

And generally be nice to the car, dont trash on it when its cold, dont drive it like a granny when its hot, and have fun with it

My car is not driven lightly,, and you can tell because the shocks are cooked at 70K miles. The car has gotten floaty, so I guess its time to bump up to a real suspension haha

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #62
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I believe the OP made his decision not to buy so let's drop the thread

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #63
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I believe the OP made his decision not to buy so let's drop the thread
I agree... My car will be gone soon I dont need to argue with people. Normal cars do not have these problems.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #64
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well thanks for whoring this thread, im sure the op appreciates it..

I find it hard to believe that every day shit is going wrong at your dealer with any BMW, aside from that how often do you go to your dealer?? I mean seriously if your car is goin in that often for service, thats what a lemon is...thats when you start asking for a replacement. Saying a car can be driven "hard" is a long comparison between a car constantly being driven at the edge which is what I was referring to as driving like a moron. Even doing so, sure the car may not show signs of wear right away, but driving all the time like that, things will go wrong much more likely alot faster. I have 16k miles on mine, i dont have a huge commute every day thankfully, but I plan on keeping her a while longer and I dont see any issues coming up honestly, other than the obvious needed warranty services at 25-30k or whatnot. You can say "well just wait, shit will happen soon" all you want, but honestly, how many other people are there like you on these forums that think bmws are shit and have their car in consistently for problems?? Maybe 2-3? YOU have the issues, not everyone. Get your shit replaced or get a different car and stop whoring these threads with your bitching and moaning
When u get close to 50k we will see whos upset about their car..

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread