BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
dylzsrt
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1

So close to pulling the trigger on a 135i...but wow..sounds like lots of problems

I was really close to pulling the trigger on a nice clean used 1 with the m package this week, but had no idea of the amount of problems in regards to the fuel pump and turbo(s). Now i'm thinking of stretching to go new, but does anyone know for sure if the single turbo model performs as good..the same..or better and has the reliability thing been figured out. I'm pretty new to the bimmer world as i've been driving and modding srt8's with no issues whatsoever. I want to come over, but am pretty leary.someone please set me straight, Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
dylzsrt
Rep

PS- Is the 135i with the "M" package different than the 1M?? I know it sounds like a dumb question but I'm confused here with the way it's set up on their website?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
#1 Yes the 135 msport is def NOT the 1M, you'll know the difference in price, look and drive.
#2 All these mass amounts of problems you speak of are mostly bullshit. The HPFP problem is a simple recall in some of the older 135i models and then bmw basically went ahead and recalled all the hpfp's around a year ago and had them all called in to be replaced with the new non-problematic pump. I had this done as well with no problems. Whatever other problems your seeing I sure as hell am not. Most are probably from people who have tuned the hell out of their 1ers and drive the shit out of them. In any heavy engine tuning situation theres def a possibility for problems, that's just the name of the game. I have no problems with mine, the only "tune" i have is my jb+ and its more than enough for me and this car, I still smile every time I really get on her and Im still very happy with her. Ive had the car almost 2 years and up until now ive been pretty much a diff car every 2 years kinda person, so that should also tell you something.

Only differing point between mine and your situation is I have an N54 with 2 sexy turbos, the way this engine is supposed to be, you may or may not be looking at the 2012's which is the N55 single turbo engine, and I cannot fully speak to any "problems" people may be having with that one.

If you have the money and you dun mind driving manual, id go for a 1M. Most everyone that has an N54 1er wants or has already modded the car to suit an M, i.e. M suspension parts and subframe items. Makes all the difference. I plan on doing such things come springtime as my mod money is being spent on brake mods n such right now.

Long story short, go drive the damn car. Do your research not only on forums, but also other sites as well. Really with me, the best research is sitting in the thing and driving it around. I did some looking on forums also before buying but didnt concern myself with the few "problem" threads about this n that since nothing caught my eye as being anything aweful or not covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

From what I understand the newer N55 engines use a different HPFP that has been a huge improvement in reliability. Keep in mind also that in a forum the chances of hearing something bad or good is MAGNIFIED due to the number of posts read. Compared to real-world incidence, the true number of failures is very low, if not rare. As for the turbos, every 30-45K miles (depending who you ask) you'll need to have the carbon deposits cleaned out either by yourself or by BMW. Other than that, I've heard of no other reliability issues.

If you want my honest opinion, I believe you should go new so that you can break in the car, and you can be sure that you were the only driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
bmw basically went ahead and recalled all the hpfp's around a year ago and had them all called in to be replaced with the new non-problematic pump.
Hmmm...did I miss something? I don't recall that (no pun intended). All I recall is BMW offering to replace them as they fail, and extending the warranty. In fact, here's a quote from another thread, announcing the so-called "voluntary recall": "Based on the individual service history of the vehicle, the action will entail replacement of the high-pressure fuel pump and/or a software update." As you can imagine, if a person comes in with a functioning HPFP, they'd just get a software update. That's not much of a "recall."

But as for other major problems, there really don't seem to be any of note on the N54 or the N55. I've had my 2011 N55 for over a year now, and the only problems I've had thus far are a tiny rattle in the rear somewhere, and a small part on the vert top mechanism that needs to be lubricated next time I take it in. That's it. [Knocking on wood here.]

Last edited by pinmagic; 11-08-2011 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Mine was recalled 2010 N54. Went in for a tire change and was told they wanted to swap the pump per recall.

From what I gather the pump problem started to decline with the combination of pre-priming sw and the current wave of remanufactured pumps hit the scene. The N55 cars were released around the time when the pre-priming sw was being placed in cars and probably came with it from the factory maybe with the exception of the earliest production runs. The current pump model was also being put into N55 cars during most of their life cycle again probably with the exception of the earliest production runs. They both use the same exact pump though so that is not a source of the percieved extra reliability of the N55 cars.

I think its timing N55 cars came out right about the time when BMW was able to make the system more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #7
dylzsrt
Rep

Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The issues are exaggerated. Most people tend to post about problems when they occur, but nobody ever posts "hey my car is running great this year, ill post again next year!". Expect to go into service maybe twice a year, maybe 3, depending on how much you drive, even if you have a "problematic" car, unless you truly get a lemon. In an ideal car, expect once a year. Unless you get a truly POS car, the fun factor is worth going in one or two more times per year than you would for a Toyota.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Do it... I just pulled the trigger on my first BMW roughly two weeks ago. You will not be disappointed, it's a superb car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
From speaking to the service foreman at my local dealer, he said the N54 is a very complicated motor with lots of little vacuum hoses which makes working on them very tedious and time consuming. The N55 is a more simplified design and is more reliable in his experience but again, this is after the initial hiccups of the N54 HPFP issues which have probably tainted his memory.

In my personal experience:
- HPFP went at 6k - fixed and fine since
- 3rd brake light snapped and fell out but was repaired. Fine for 1yr and counting
- Carbon buildup at 20k - had to have valves sandblasted which is common for DI cars but could be a costly fix out of warranty
- Most recently, the fan fuse blew in the car and there was apparently some pinched or severed wire. Turns out that if the fan goes, the computer disables the lower end turbo. Felt like it was a Kia until 3k when the second turbo would kick in.

No exaggerations needed. I adore this car and dread having to give it back at the end of the lease for fear that whatever I replace it with will leave me empty but it's an AMAZING vehicle to drive and I think the appearance of the car is awesome, despite the issues.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Carbon build up on the turbo?
WHAT! You got to be kidding me right?

I had the down pipe on my 1.8t go bad at 100k miles, when my mechanic was working on it he said "Want to see something amazing?" at which point I felt my wallet jump from my pocket and hide behind the couch in his waiting room....but what do you say?

So I said sure, I went over and he pointed out the turbo and said "Look at those blades, 100k miles and they still look new! God these Germans know what they are doing!"
And he was right, I even took a photo, other than a very slight coating of carbon the darn things looked as if they just came out of a car that was brand new?

So if this car needs to have the "carbon" removed from the turbo blades maybe BMW needs to go across the street and talk to their friends at VW and ask them how they do it!

The reason I bought the car was a article on Edmunds regarding them owning the car for 40k miles and other than a set of tires due to a track day the car had been flawless. Also a friend of mine is a week end driver and a driving coach at Watkins Glen. He is one of the most impressive engineers I know and has a true gut with respect to engines. He's the kind of guy who closes his eyes and puts his hand on a motor and will tell you...."She's a bit off....and here is what it is." And he took one that had 35k miles around the track a few times and he indicated that other than thinking that they should have added some oil jets to the springs to keep oil temperatures down (you would be amazed at how hot springs get at around 7k RPM) he thought it was a great engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Total reading comprehension failure.

Also, you're telling us that the car is reliable because a guy took one around a track a few times and said it was a great engine?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #13
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Total reading comprehension failure?
HU?

Ah no I bought the car due to Edmunds reports on the car and various other publications that indicated that the car functioned without issue over 40k miles.

My friend stated that last summer that he drove one of his friends 135I's around the track though out the summer. So not just one track day but many track days. And always the same problem per his view was that due to the heat generated by the springs at 7k RPM the car really did need either oil cooling of the springs or a much bigger oil cooler.

And since I don't see myself driving to work in first at 7k rpm I figured I should be fine.

But in the end why anyone buys a car is based on one thing. Emotion.
If it gets you to smile then odds are you will buy the car. Yes we do our best to research known issues but baring spontaneous combustion...odds are if there is an emotional attraction we will buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
In my personal experience:
- HPFP went at 6k - fixed and fine since
- 3rd brake light snapped and fell out but was repaired. Fine for 1yr and counting
- Carbon buildup at 20k - had to have valves sandblasted which is common for DI cars but could be a costly fix out of warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Carbon build up on the turbo?
WHAT! You got to be kidding me right?

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Most issues are over dramatized. Yes, the HPFP may fail, maybe 5% chance... If not under warranty, then only a few hundred $.... Same cost as 2 rear tires!
They are great cars!
Stop it. This is a flat out lie.

I am on my third hpfp. I always use Shell V Power and hava had my issues....

Between family and friends, I know 7 people who have the n54, 4 of them have had fuel pumps replaced due to failure. Some multiple times. All cars are bone stock.

It's a fun little car, but if you require it for a daily driver, I would think long and hard about it. Luckily, this is not my daily driver, so I have yet to be royally screwed by the failures.

Last edited by FJUNO78; 11-08-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
HPFP issues are overrated, however if it does happen BMW will cover you til 100k. As for the N54 vs N55 debate it pretty much boils down to this:

Future engine tuning go with the N54

No engine tuning or just BMW PPK tuning go with the N55

They are both great engines however I have driven both, performance in stock form i couldn't tell a difference, aside from the N55 sounding better. Some have commented that the N55 offers less lag and better throttle response than the N54, once again i didn't notice this either during my test drives. After having my car for over a year I have experienced zero engine problems or issues aside from the software update that killed my throttle response. I got the BMW PPK installed last week and I'm in love again with my N55, no lag and throttle is great again!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 11-08-2011 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #17
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Carbon buildup at 20k - had to have valves sandblasted
Intake or exhaust?
Exhaust right? Due to direct injection but WOW! 20k!
Ethanol issue? Or what? WOW! But that is not good at all!
And sure I guess you can seafoam it if you dare but...not an easy thing to fix at all!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
HPFP issues are overrated, however if it does happen BMW will cover you til 100k. As for the N54 vs N55 debate it pretty much boils down to this:

Future engine tuning go with the N54

No engine tuning or just BMW PPK tuning go with the N55

They are both great engines however I have driven both, performance in stock form i couldn't tell a difference, aside from the N55 sounding better. Some have commented that the N55 offers less lag and better throttle response than the N54, once again i didn't notice this either during my test drives. After having my car for over a year I have experienced zero engine problems or issues aside from the software update that killed my throttle response. I got the BMW PPK installed last week and I'm in love again with my N55, no lag and throttle is great again!!
Does the PPK feel faster than stock before the sw update, or does it get you back to where you were?
      11-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I never felt any loss after my software update. Mine actually felt a little quicker.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
So if this car needs to have the "carbon" removed from the turbo blades maybe BMW needs to go across the street and talk to their friends at VW and ask them how they do it!
Hate to tell you this, but VW don't have it figured out either... at least the VAG group doesn't. Audi S4's are having the exact same problems with carbon buildup as the direct-injection BMW's. This is pretty much an industry-wide problem that has been triggered by the push for greater efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

AH! See you old 1.8T was not DI.
So what is the non sand blast option to keep your pipes clean?

Sounds as if a simple sonice balther lube in the tank should help?

and if that's all it is...so what! MY VW had the same issue. I had to add a bottel fo Cevron Techron to the tank once a month to keep her happy. No big deal!

Now if a guy named Clause has to blast ones pipes...oh brother do we have a problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
AH! See you old 1.8T was not DI.
So what is the non sand blast option to keep your pipes clean?

Sounds as if a simple sonice balther lube in the tank should help?

and if that's all it is...so what! MY VW had the same issue. I had to add a bottel fo Cevron Techron to the tank once a month to keep her happy. No big deal!

Now if a guy named Clause has to blast ones pipes...oh brother do we have a problem!
Is English not your first language, or has the US public school system seriously become this much of a failure?

I have no idea what you're even saying.

Also, Audis/VWs have much worse carbon problems than BMWs. I have seen an Audi engine at 25,000 miles. Not pretty, and BMW engines at the same mileage do have buildup, but not even close to what Audis are going through right now. Serious lack of foresight.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread