BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #23
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I would if of course in your shoes and spending my money... keep your e88 until the M2 vert was priced and ordered. I know the M2 vert is a maybe but your e88 has a perfection quality and zero sense of urgency. The value of your e88 with 9-15k more miles and 14-20months older is not very much deprecation compared to the hit already taken. Unless the Jones's next door have a shinier penny you have to keep up with? 17' M2 Convertible is worth the wait.
I must admit until seeing this video I didnt have very much interest in the 2er... pfft MARKETING
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #24
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
After being in a 228i all this week. The chassis just feels big. If I was blind folded when I got in the car I would've told you it was a 3 series. It's spacious and comfortable. But for those that fell in love with the 1 series small chassis will be disappointed.

I also will say it definitely felt refined like the 3 series. Which was nice for the week. I had a comfy commute which I'm sure the M2 will be able to handle in comfort settings and have the capability to be a M.

However instantly after getting the 35i back I thought to my self. Wtf are they doing with that electric steering...

I have hopes for the M2. Can't wait to test one and hold out for a CSL or ZCP version.
      01-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Test drive it first, get comfortable with it, then make your decision. Personally, I'd probably make the switch if I liked it enough.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken
After being in a 228i all this week. The chassis just feels big. If I was blind folded when I got in the car I would've told you it was a 3 series. It's spacious and comfortable. But for those that fell in love with the 1 series small chassis will be disappointed.

I also will say it definitely felt refined like the 3 series. Which was nice for the week. I had a comfy commute which I'm sure the M2 will be able to handle in comfort settings and have the capability to be a M.

However instantly after getting the 35i back I thought to my self. Wtf are they doing with that electric steering...

I have hopes for the M2. Can't wait to test one and hold out for a CSL or ZCP version.
bad right?? I've driven the 228 many times and am always amazed at just how boring it is to drive...completely uninspiring.

I do think the M2 will correct a lot of those issues though.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #27
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken

bad right?? I've driven the 228 many times and am always amazed at just how boring it is to drive...completely uninspiring.

I do think the M2 will correct a lot of those issues though.
Very boring. It was comfy and I felt like I was in a 3 series all week, not BMWs smallest coupe.

Just immediately after getting back in the 1 I notice how much smaller it is and the driver focused interior.
      01-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #28
daflamme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MT

IMO I would just pick up a used e9x M3 for way less than what the M2 costs. Anyway the M2 is already bigger, so why not..

I know we're talking between a used and new car, but I think it's worth considering
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #29
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

The path to perdition is paved with Porsches and other cars the unhappy One owner couldn't afford.

The secret is to make your money first, so you have so much of it you don't have to ask anyone's advice about what to buy. You just simply buy what lights your fire!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #30
Kyosky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i e82

Test drive the M2 cause your interested, but your car is fairly low miles and still has alot of upgrades thats superb, IMO if you got the extra cash get the M2 if not keep the E88 its still a great car and enthusiasts like me is trying to get the e82 because its a drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #31
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
As a fellow E88 driver with a car VERY similar to yours, I have to say the M2 has very little interest for me. I would rather get the 1M but that's a very, VERY low priority for me.

As of now (for me) I just can't beat having the top down spooling twin turbo's touring country roads. There is just nothing better IMO.

I say keep the 1-er but I'm not you. Test drive the M2 for sure, see what it's all about then make your decision, but I would keep the 1.

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #32
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
threads like this are difficult because it's so subjective. You couldn't pay me to drive an M2 in favor of my 135i until at least a couple years after the M2 has been out.

But that's because I love modding cars and I like turbos. I would be waiting for upgrade turbo kits to become available for the M2. I've just gotten my 135i where I want it with minor drop, big power, LSD, and I have a striking color that attracts other enthusiasts and people in general to the car, both at car shows and on the street. I would feel like I'm betraying the car.

The 135i and the M2 are both pigs to throw around the track in terms of weight, so if I had an M2 my goals would be just to use it as a summer daily like my 135i. So from that angle, asking myself how much better is it for that particular purpose, truly? I don't think anyone can come up with an objective reason why it is worth paying a $30k price difference to drive it on the street to/from work and other commutes.

Again, all boils down to desired purpose for the car. I don't need to drive an M2 to know that it won't be worth the price difference to me on the street, where I mostly care about creature comforts (which the 135i addresses for me currently), and power. And I'll stomp even a tuned M2 when they start putting JB4s on them. Until they get aftermarket turbo options, I just don't see the value proposition.

My point here is that I just gave a story that is drastically different than what other people would say because again, this sort of thing about what you should do is subjective.

I would agree with everyone's advice here that you need to test drive one first, if you are even remotely considering the idea of getting an M2. Then make a more informed decision on what is valuable to you. It's your money so if you want to spend the price difference, well, F it - you only live once. =P
      01-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #33
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Well...I really appreciate everyone's input. Over the last few days I've thought it through and decided to keep the 1 series. It really is a great car.

So...now to think about some improvements I can do for spring.

In March it goes in for a new rear bumper due to being rear ended. I also plan on replacing the side skirts with the BMW performance side skirts.

So now, will be looking at wheel options, tires and Coilovers.

Once I get new wheels/ tires in Feb or March, I'll have a set of near perfect 264 wheels with the Bridgestone Potenza run flats (2k miles on tires). PM me if anyone is interested.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
...I also plan on replacing the side skirts with the BMW performance side skirts.

So now, will be looking at wheel options, tires and Coilovers...
Please keep us posted on this! (well me specifically ). I think coils are my next upgrade and then maybe wheels but I do like to keep my car 99.9% stealth/stock looking, because I like flying under the radar.... especially kids who try to pass me in their evos....heh, heh, heh

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #35
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman
Quote:
...I also plan on replacing the side skirts with the BMW performance side skirts.

So now, will be looking at wheel options, tires and Coilovers...
Please keep us posted on this! (well me specifically ). I think coils are my next upgrade and then maybe wheels but I do like to keep my car 99.9% stealth/stock looking, because I like flying under the radar.... especially kids who try to pass me in their evos....heh, heh, heh
So...now that I decided to keep my car here are a few things I have planned;
So first things I'm ordering are Wheels/Tires

I'm in the process of ordering some HRE FF15 wheels in 18x8.5(F) and 18x9(R). The tires I'm going with are Michelin PSS. The question I have is, could I do a 255 in the rear on a 9" wheel? Would there be any issue on stock wheels & suspension/Tires or once I go with Coil overs? Included are a picture of the HRE's I'll be ordering.

The next Mod I'm planning for is either new ST Coilovers or if I can find a good deal on some used VW V1's. I don't track the car ever, but do like to take it out to PA Rte 125 ( PA dragon of the east).
Attached Images

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #36
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

So many of you seemed bent on taking a street ride and turning it into something it wasn't designed for, the track!

Why don't you simply buy a car that was designed for the track? You can also drive it on the street too:

http://us.caterhamcars.com/

If you do this, you'll leave your BMW or whatever alone and slake your thirst for the racing experience. Also over the years, you'll save a lot of money. BTW, I've driven a couple of these cars, and they are the ultimate driving experience at relatively low cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #37
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
So many of you seemed bent on taking a street ride and turning it into something it wasn't designed for, the track!

Why don't you simply buy a car that was designed for the track? You can also drive it on the street too:

http://us.caterhamcars.com/

If you do this, you'll leave your BMW or whatever alone and slake your thirst for the racing experience. Also over the years, you'll save a lot of money. BTW, I've driven a couple of these cars, and they are the ultimate driving experience at relatively low cost.
So, I think the 1 series cars are great cars, however, they are built with the majority of the population in mind and not the enthusiast per se.(my opinion)

I'm not looking to turn a street ride into anything it's not designed for. I'm merely trying to take the platform I have and make it better meet my needs. Weekend fun car for cruising and tearing up/down the mountain (occasionally)

I'm hopeful the mods I'm making will improve the handling and performance while still providing some comfort when I want it.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #38
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
...I'm in the process of ordering some HRE FF15 wheels in 18x8.5(F) and 18x9(R)...

Quote:
...The next Mod I'm planning for is either new ST Coilovers or if I can find a good deal on some used VW V1's...
From what I have researched, the KW V1's are the only coilovers where they have a specific E88 setup. Now, a lot of coilovers give you the option to adjust yourself, but I do like how the KW V1s are specifically tuned for the extra weight of the convertible.

Quote:
...I don't track the car ever, but do like to take it out to PA Rte 125 ( PA dragon of the east).
Tell me more!!! PA-125 is not that far from me, in fact, it's day-tripable.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #39
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
That's one of my biggest concerns. I love the feedback and feel I have in the 1 series.
I gave back a 2012 135vert and replaced it with a Z4s35is....while the Z is a better looking car and faster as well, I miss that E88 steering every time I drive the Z.

I try NOT to drive the Z back to back with my E82....it really stands out as to how numb the EPS is.

That said, if I want the Z steering to feel sporty and tight, I drive it right after driving my wife's ML350
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #40
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman
Quote:
...I'm in the process of ordering some HRE FF15 wheels in 18x8.5(F) and 18x9(R)...

Quote:
...The next Mod I'm planning for is either new ST Coilovers or if I can find a good deal on some used VW V1's...
From what I have researched, the KW V1's are the only coilovers where they have a specific E88 setup. Now, a lot of coilovers give you the option to adjust yourself, but I do like how the KW V1s are specifically tuned for the extra weight of the convertible.

Quote:
...I don't track the car ever, but do like to take it out to PA Rte 125 ( PA dragon of the east).
Rhoadesman
Here is the right up from motoring con brio. From my experience it's an amazing ride.

Motoring con Brio
For anyone who is not familiar with ?Tail of the Dragon of the Northeast?, this is a motorcycle or sports car enthusiasts paradise. This is our very own Tail of the Dragon?no need to drive all the way out to Kentucky to drive the ?Tail of the Dragon? cause we have one right in our backyard here in PA., 32 miles of twisties, 180 degree turns and blind curves. Please see the snippet below from Motoring con Brio.

?Pennsylvania State Route 125 ? One of the best motorcycle or sports car roads in PA! Huge amounts of twisties, many 180 degree banked turns, blind curves, hill climbs, etc? This road is, in two words, ?driver?s paradise?? This road is simply the best twisty road within two and one half hours drive of New York City. Bar none? the ?Tail of the Dragon? of the northeast?
The combination of Gold mine road and PA 125 is very much like a roller ?coaster ride, with a series of very steep climbs and descents with sharp corners at the top and the bottom, with a few rolling hills and gentle corners mixed-in for good measure?
A road in Pennsylvania coal country that?s equal turns challenging and entertaining, smooth-as-a-baby?s-bottom and hang-onto-your-hat-bumpy (the detour onto PA-25 mid-route, in particular), hilly country road and winding mountain road, but unfortunately dotted with homes and small villages at various points of the route, which as spirited driving enthusiasts, we don?t exactly love. If you like hairpin turns, 125?s got? em in spades.?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #41
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

if i thought i had the chance i would definitely try to get into an M2. from all the specs and early accounts of the car it seems like it going to be great. Also i think it has a much better chance of holding its value compared to the 135i which seems to be tanking.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #42
JH135is
Rep
Drives: jet black, 135is,6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Its about 30 mins from me...if you guys would like to meet up sometime soon when the weather breaks it would be nice to go for a 1'er cruise.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #43
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade135is View Post
if i thought i had the chance i would definitely try to get into an M2. from all the specs and early accounts of the car it seems like it going to be great. Also i think it has a much better chance of holding its value compared to the 135i which seems to be tanking.
Unless the M2 holds onto its value better than other, standard, M cars, you can expect its value to plummet like a giant boulder rolling down a steep mountainside

Looked at used M3s lately?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #44
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Unless the M2 holds onto its value better than other, standard, M cars, you can expect its value to plummet like a giant boulder rolling down a steep mountainside

Looked at used M3s lately?
I said better chance, we already know the 1 series isn't holding. just speculating. I'm sure it will depraciate to a certain extent as all others do aside from the 1m.
Appreciate 0