BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

6mt won't let me get it in reverse or 1st gear

last couple of days I can't get my reverse gear in or my 1st gear. this is giving me a real hard time. never had this problem problem before . anyone know what this might be?

I have 62,000 miles,
bmw short shifter kit
installed spec clutch stage2+ also smfw back in September
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Can you select those gears while the engine is off? Sounds like the clutch is not fully releasing.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Yea I tried forcing 1st gear in while the car was running and at the same time I turned off the car and it slipped in. but even when I turned off the car I try to put it in 1st and reverse and it was a bit hard. let's just say it's alot easier putin 1st gear or reverse when the car was shut off then turned on
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates.Tii View Post
Yea I tried forcing 1st gear in while the car was running and at the same time I turned off the car and it slipped in. but even when I turned off the car I try to put it in 1st and reverse and it was a bit hard. let's just say it's alot easier putin 1st gear or reverse when the car was shut off then turned on
Either your clutch is not disengaging. You might check your floor mat, is not preventing the pedal from a full depress, or your slave or master could be leaking and/or have air in the lines. Did you do any other work recently?

My money is on a new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Either your clutch is not disengaging. You might check your floor mat, is not preventing the pedal from a full depress, or your slave or master could be leaking and/or have air in the lines. Did you do any other work recently?

My money is on a new clutch.
no other work. I do have Turbo seals leak. but I can't see how that is related
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

and I have a clutch stop but that was installed way before I had my new upgrade clutch
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates.Tii
and I have a clutch stop but that was installed way before I had my new upgrade clutch
That could be it, since your old clutch would have had more wear. Try removing it, if it makes a difference then pull one or two rubber washers from the clutch stop

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
That could be it, since your old clutch would have had more wear. Try removing it, if it makes a difference then pull one or two rubber washers from the clutch stop
just drove home form work today and no issues so F**** weird 1st gear and reverse was going in smoothly wtf but I'm still going to remove 1 or 2 rubbers form the clutch stop
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates.Tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
just drove home form work today and no issues so F**** weird 1st gear and reverse was going in smoothly wtf but I'm still going to remove 1 or 2 rubbers form the clutch stop
Haha brutal but hey it works! Before you do, try shifting into 1st or reverse on a flat surface, keep the clutch pedal full in, and take your foot off the brake. If the car starts to roll or pull, your clutch is engaging. At least that way you can possibly pinpoint the issue.

Maybe the clutch has worn enough to get it into gear, if this is the issue.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

so i just took off only 2 piece of rubber from the clutch stop and boy what a difference. The clutch sinks in noticebly all the way i took it around the block making are full stops and the gear goes in smoothly in 1st and reverse BUT the real test is tomorrow in the city.
will see

i have 63,300 miles on car i installed the the spec stage 2+ and SMFW at 60,468 miles
clutch is still new and i i have not been hard on the clutch yet
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Sounds like the clutch stop was just too thick to work with the new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #12
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Sounds like the clutch stop was just too thick to work with the new clutch.

Built myself a custom aluminum clutch stop one day and when I was first test fitting it the car actually wouldn't start even though when I pressed in the pedal it was definitely lifting off the flywheel. I'm surprised this car was even starting up with the clutch dragging so heavily that you couldn't even engage 1st.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #13
miggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135

Pump your clutch 2x and then try getting in gear again see if that helps
      12-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixle View Post
Built myself a custom aluminum clutch stop one day and when I was first test fitting it the car actually wouldn't start even though when I pressed in the pedal it was definitely lifting off the flywheel. I'm surprised this car was even starting up with the clutch dragging so heavily that you couldn't even engage 1st.
Yeah, suprising to me too. As my spec 2+ has worn over 25k miles i started having trouble starting because I wasn't activating the clutch safety switch even though the clutch was mechanically disengaged. Removing the clutch stop would allow starting but then there's even more dead space at end of travel, obviously a step in the wrong direction. So I wired in a push button switch that shorts two wires in the clutch safety switch when held. Set my clutch stop back to a height where I have just enough pedal travel to mechanically disengage clutch and its perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
Sixle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Yeah, suprising to me too. As my spec 2+ has worn over 25k miles i started having trouble starting because I wasn't activating the clutch safety switch even though the clutch was mechanically disengaged. Removing the clutch stop would allow starting but then there's even more dead space at end of travel, obviously a step in the wrong direction. So I wired in a push button switch that shorts two wires in the clutch safety switch when held. Set my clutch stop back to a height where I have just enough pedal travel to mechanically disengage clutch and its perfect.
I wonder if a clutch bleed fixes these issues? I noticed after rebleeding my system with rbf600 after the cdv delete that my disengagement point moved farther closer to the driver, might provide adequate pressure to flip the switch? I'm sure its a pressure driven switch like the braking system.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #16
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Not a pressure switch. Some sort of induction or magnetic switch. It's mounted to the side of the piston behind the clutch pedal. I think it outputs a different voltage for each of three states being something like less than 10% travel, 10 - 90%, and greater than 90%. It's that greater than 90% state that can be hard to achieve with aftermarket clutch and large clutch stop, but that's only needed to start the car to my knowledge. The middle range is interpreted as shifting action.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 02:55 AM   #17
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

ok so i drove the car all day today and have no problem putting it in 1st or reverse ever since i removed 2 rubber peice from the clutch stop. it fixed the issue NIGHT and DAY .

BUT what i don't understand is that why would the clutch stop cause the problem NOW . this is weird because i have installed the clutch stop way before i even started to modd the car even before the spec clutch stage2+ ever since i installed the new spec clutch i never had the problem untill now after 3,000 miles of spec clutch driving
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
ok so i drove the car all day today and have no problem putting it in 1st or reverse ever since i removed 2 rubber peice from the clutch stop. it fixed the issue NIGHT and DAY .

BUT what i don't understand is that why would the clutch stop cause the problem NOW . this is weird because i have installed the clutch stop way before i even started to modd the car even before the spec clutch stage2+ ever since i installed the new spec clutch i never had the problem untill now after 3,000 miles of spec clutch driving
You can install a Spec with the throw out bearing at a high engagement point or low. You must have yours set to the low engagement point so you need all the pedal travel. If you installed it the other way the clutch would be completely disengaged at about half way down to the floor. Maybe not even that far.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0