BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
F*cking pissed to say the least. I should've just run factory spec alignment.
ZIIs will never last 20,000 miles no matter how you align them or baby them. Anyway, if you have to baby them, what is the point of buying a sticky tire?

The "camber wear" is a good thing, as was your idea to have them flipped. Flipping them back is a ridiculous idea. Most people complain about wear on the outside edge, and you would be too if you were using an OE alignment. Flipping is a great way to even out the wear.

Also, they are not worn out. Wear them all the way down to the wear bars (which you have not done yet).

If you use sticky tires, you have to expect they will wear out sooner. 1 summer per set is all you should expect. If you want more you need to use a higher treadwear rated tire at the expense of grip. Based on the fact that you have not worn out the outside edges of your tires, clearly you are not using them very hard. You can't have been autocrossing. And if not, why are you fiddling with your alignment to start with? A bit less front camber and longer wearing tires might be a good choice for you, but then again flipping your tires mid life is not a bad idea either.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
ZIIs will never last 20,000 miles no matter how you align them or baby them. Anyway, if you have to baby them, what is the point of buying a sticky tire?

The "camber wear" is a good thing, as was your idea to have them flipped. Flipping them back is a ridiculous idea. Most people complain about wear on the outside edge, and you would be too if you were using an OE alignment. Flipping is a great way to even out the wear.

Also, they are not worn out. Wear them all the way down to the wear bars (which you have not done yet).

If you use sticky tires, you have to expect they will wear out sooner. 1 summer per set is all you should expect. If you want more you need to use a higher treadwear rated tire at the expense of grip. Based on the fact that you have not worn out the outside edges of your tires, clearly you are not using them very hard. You can't have been autocrossing. And if not, why are you fiddling with your alignment to start with? A bit less front camber and longer wearing tires might be a good choice for you, but then again flipping your tires mid life is not a bad idea either.
+1000

When I ran Hankook RS3s on my Z4M, they lasted 4,000 miles with about 3 track days and 20 or so autocrosses.

Flipped half-way through their use.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

36-38 psi is a lot of air. What size of tire are you running?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #26
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
36-38 psi is a lot of air. What size of tire are you running?
225/40/18 & 255/35/18.

I actually dropped them down to 34 and it's riding great.

Still going to dial out some camber from the front. I'll mark the current camber on the camber plate (-2.6) and have them dial it down to -1.3 for the street with zero toe.

Then I can just pull it back when I'm at the track.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #27
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

It will change the toe when you do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #28
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Typical toe adjustments for two styles of driving.

Aggressive Street Driver
Front: 1/16" In, Rear: 1/8" In

Weekend Hot Lapper
Front: 0, Rear: 1/8" In

Guidelines for setting toe and how it can affect feel and handling.

Front Toe-Out
Just Right: Reduced understeer at turn-in Improved steering response Counteracts natural tendency for front- and all-wheel-drive cars to toe-in under throttle load.
Too Much: Instability during braking Straight-line instability, especially over single-wheel bumps or split-traction surfaces Unrecoverable understeer.

Front Toe-In
Just Right: Generally helps make the car feel more stable
Too Much: Wandering under braking Refusal to turn in or rapid turn-in followed by understeer

Rear Toe-Out
Just Right: Easy midturn rotation. Less front tire load
Too Much: Violent on-throttle oversteer on RWD cars. Can help drift cars. Violent lift-throttle or trail-braking rotation.

Rear Toe-In
Just Right: Easily controlled power oversteer in rear-wheel-drive cars
Too Much: Sluggish response. Midcorner understeer Instability at turn-in

Read more: http://www.modified.com/tech/0507_sc...2/viewall.html
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:40 AM   #29
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thanks dcaron for this informative link
Appreciate 0