BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I walked out of a grocerie store (publix) and had someone walking around my car gazing at it...I would have been more honored....if it werent 9 pm and pitch black. Kinda creepy.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

commenting on another person's car "while driving" can cause a accident.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

My best so far is a thumbs-up from a M6 driver on the freeway.

:thumbup:
      06-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
Xii
Private
Rep
Drives:

I stopped at a rest stop along the jersey turnpike on the first day I got my 135 and when I came back out I had a group of people around my car asking me questions about what it was. Two of the people had bmw's as well an m3 and an m5 so it felt pretty good that they were interested in a 135. We proceeded to screw around zipping through traffic on the turnpike for a while it was a blast.
Upcoming Mods: Window Tint, Quad Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I get comments pretty often. I even hada 330 driver follow me into a parking lot the other day to get a look at the car. It gets a lot of attention....maybe a little too much for my tastes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #28
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Ok,
Best I think was a guy in a ferrarri twisting his neck as I made a U turn.
Next might be after I got done at the driving range, there were 2 people standing around my car looking at it. When I walked up they both started asking me about the car. Talked with them for about 45 minutes. Oh yeah one had a 3 and the other a 5.
Next, got some thumbs up at a red light by a X5. Opened thier window and they screamed 1??? Answered, Yeah! Them; Niiicccceee!
Also while in a resturant saw a few kids press thier faces againt the window.
Do have to say, seems like lots of people wanna race me even I only have the 28. BTW only have been beaten when I wanted to be, havent taken the car to the "next level" regarding racing. I will race but only up to the point where its safe. When it gets reckless, later! Im still smiling
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #29
pregato-1
en masse
Rep
Drives:

I pointed out a 135 vert to my wife while she was driving on the highway. She zoomed up to it, gave the thumbs up and tore away. It was from BC, and had three guys in it with the top down...awesome. From the rear, with the top down, the 1 is totally incognito. It's hard to tell what it is. Well, from a half/mile away, anyway....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

While cruising 80mph on most left lane, I saw black 3-series trying to catch up with me. When cars were even, the guy gave thumb up. It was quite nice of him. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #31
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

My best was a guy in a 335i 4-door who actually backed up about 5 car-lengths (no one behind him – don't worry) in a LH turn lane to comment about my car. He asked how I liked it, I gushed, and he explained he would've been in a 135i if his wife had allowed him. She thought it was too small. (In his defense, he did have a young one in a child seat in the back, so the 4-door is likely more logical.)

I've had lots of looks, lots of comments. My coworkers are completely enamored with it and seem to find reasons for me to drive them to lunch or home or what have you. I don't like passengers though, so usually they just have to dream.
      06-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #32
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Once you own a BMW, there's nothing else out there

BMW's are great cars...but to say there is nothing else out there is just plain silly....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #33
dayo
Rep
Drives:

a guy in his S500 merc came to me in the parking garage, inquiring how i like the car, and saying that he's thinking of buying a convertible for his 'niece' (very likely his mistress)

i'm quite insulted he thinks 1 is for mistresses...!

at least he said the other cars he's considering are slk, and TT....
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #34
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
Well yea, obviously there's plenty of cars out there that I would take over a BMW. But when comparing other cars against most cars they don't seem as desirable. I will most likely never leave bmw. For example I was looking at the a3, tsx, is250, and 128. I couldn't bring myself to purchase any of those but the bmw.

that i agree with...and i would add for the money the one series is the best sports coupe out there...period...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #35
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Just tonight a guy and his 20 something son were looking at my parked 135 when I walked up and started to open the top with my key fob.

He owns a last gen TT convertible. He had test driven a 135 but wanted to know how I liked it so far. I recommended it with no reservations. His son was commenting on the TiAg paint and red interior.

It sure attracts some attention when I have the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #36
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Two episodes;

Had the car for less than a week, went to Barnes and Noble to pick up some mag with a 1-Series article, as I idled through the parking lot, windows down, I heard some dude telling his buddy, "That's the new 1-Series BMW".

Driving to work one afternoon, an older fella in an AW 535 was zipping through traffic, saw him in my rear view mirror, didn't think anything of it, he races up alongside, honks, gives a big 'ole , I returned a . Pretty kool.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #37
griptruk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

SO many dudes in e46s and stuff just rev up their engines at me and stare and stuff. It definitely brings out strange make behaviors. I tell my girlfriend that this car is great because i get tons of guys flirting with me

2008 135i 6speed - euro delivery
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #38
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bski View Post
Ok,
Best I think was a guy in a ferrarri twisting his neck as I made a U turn.
Next might be after I got done at the driving range, there were 2 people standing around my car looking at it. When I walked up they both started asking me about the car. Talked with them for about 45 minutes. Oh yeah one had a 3 and the other a 5.
Next, got some thumbs up at a red light by a X5. Opened thier window and they screamed 1??? Answered, Yeah! Them; Niiicccceee!
Also while in a resturant saw a few kids press thier faces againt the window.
Do have to say, seems like lots of people wanna race me even I only have the 28. BTW only have been beaten when I wanted to be, havent taken the car to the "next level" regarding racing. I will race but only up to the point where its safe. When it gets reckless, later! Im still smiling
Hey Ski,

I get the same "wanna race" stuff all the time (LIE, Southern, Sunrise and Ocean). Usually it is knuckleheads in STI's, Accords (or other Hondas) or 328s (ya kiddin right?). I won't take the bait either because there is usually traffic and all.

I did make an exception for a guy in a E46 M3 vert on the Ocean parkway. :wink: He still doesn't know what hit him!

Oh and I got a thumbs up from a guy in DB7 headinng down to Charm City yesterday.

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #39
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
Hey Ski,

I get the same "wanna race" stuff all the time (LIE, Southern, Sunrise and Ocean). Usually it is knuckleheads in STI's, Accords (or other Hondas) or 328s (ya kiddin right?). I won't take the bait either because there is usually traffic and all.

I did make an exception for a guy in a E46 M3 vert on the Ocean parkway. :wink: He still doesn't know what hit him!

Oh and I got a thumbs up from a guy in DB7 headinng down to Charm City yesterday.
Yeah I get a bunch of people trying to run with me on the Chicago highways as well. Some import tuners, a few VWs, and several Acura TLs for some reason. Don't really take the bait though; don't really see the point. I do notice that I do create some rubbernecking from cars though, usually either drivers of BMWs or other sporty cars; other people probably don't even know what the 1 is yet.
      07-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #40
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

very few people look at the car...maybe thats because i'm oblivious??? But two people asked me how i like it and on two separate occasions a thug and a business man poked their heads out of their car to ask me how much it was to which i replied "like ten dollars". i find it very offensive to ask the cost of a big ticket item.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #41
335TT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
very few people look at the car...maybe thats because i'm oblivious??? But two people asked me how i like it and on two separate occasions a thug and a business man poked their heads out of their car to ask me how much it was to which i replied "like ten dollars". i find it very offensive to ask the cost of a big ticket item.
I understand that, if they were asking how much you watch or wedding ring or something of that sort, but a car, where they can easily go to the internet or local retailer and inquire about it, I don't see the problem? If I was interested in a new car, and saw something on the road I liked, but knew nothing about it, I would ask as well, because the price may or may not be the determining factor of my purchase. I also know I could go home and check on pricing, but talking to an owner, would be benificial, because we all have seen those "starting at 35k" adds, just to be sucked in and walking out, after all the options you want make it 50k. Not really sure why you would or even could take offense to someone having an interest in your car? I see tons of threads on here and other forums, asking what everyone got their cars for, but as of yet , never saw any responses, refering to it being offensive to ask that. I am not getting on your case, just trying to understand your train of thought.

Back to original topic, there are not to many 1's round this way, also not really many car enthusiasts in general, so I really never get any questions, but I do get alot of looks. There is in some ways, still this over blown price perception on BMW's in my neck of the woods, so people always assume it is some luxury car rolling by and seem drawn to the badge. Never really had anyone do some neck snapping head turns when it was stock, but now it draws a little more attention, with the carbon fiber and exhaust etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #42
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
Hey Ski,

Hey LC,
Hope one day to catch up w/ya.
BTW, yeap your right, did take the new pics at RM, by the fishing pier.
Wont even start telling ya bout the dude in the CLK350, those MB arent really made for speed huh?
Hear ya on the Honda's, even funnier are the
Hundai's.
:roundel:
Also love those "VW's" freaks. We just push the 28 a bit, and they know they can be beat.
Then they think," shoot that's just a 128!?"
" What should I do when Im up against a 35?"
Also....I have yet to floor this car,,,,afraid to!!!
:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #43
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I was parked at a local eatery and a Volvo wagon in the turn lane backed up about 4 car lengths so he could see the rear badge. Made me smile. The security guard going into McChord AFB asked if it was the new 1. I said yes. He said, twin turbo? Yes again. That made my day. Other than that, nothing.
      07-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #44
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

my car gets gawked at daily when its parked... especially if i leave it running when parked if i'm running in somewhere.

its funny, but not so much when they're drunk and stumbling.
Appreciate 0