BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #23
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

This comparison between the 135i and the EVO X is an interesting one. I bought an EVO X GSR in the spring and owned it for a few months, then sold it to buy the 135i, which was delivered a couple of months ago.

The 135i definitely has the better motor and is faster in a straight line, but out of the box, the handling of the GSR blew away the handling of the stock 135i.

My reasons for the swap were: (i) I hated the tranny in the GSR - it would always grind going from 2nd to 3rd and was generally very notchy (the 135 tranny is much smoother); (ii) the GSR motor lacked low end power; (iii) the GSR had harsh suspension for every day use; (iv) the GSR was geared too low for long drives at highway speed, which made it buzzy and loud over 60 mph; (v) the BMW motor is very smooth and has a wide power band; (v) I have to act like a grown up sometimes for various reasons, and the GSR is not the most professional or mature looking car ever made; (vi) I was hoping that upgrading the suspension on the 135 would improve the handling enough to be competitive with the GSR - the shocks and springs are getting replaced as I write this; (vii) the GSR has a terrible blind spot that can make daily driving somewhat dangerous if you don't really pay attention when changing lanes - this may seem trivial, but it nearly caused an accident on a couple of occasions, and it annoyed me.

So far, I'm quite happy with the 135, but I'm really hoping that the suspension upgrade will improve the body roll and pogo effect. I went with Koni Sport shocks and struts, with Eibach Pro Kit springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #24
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
The reason for the Evo's slower 0-60 is the gearing. If you look at an STi, for example, it gets to 60 in roughly the same time as the Evo, 5.2 seconds. The plain WRX, however, gets to 60 in around 4.8 seconds, with 30 or so less horsepower. The difference is the gearing.

uhhh you might wanna check those numbers...stock WRX are not that fast its more like 5.8-6.0

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #25
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Evo X MR is hot!!
But rice from the rear!

0-100 km/H
5.4 (5MT)
6.3 (6speed Twin Clutch SST)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
This comparison between the 135i and the EVO X is an interesting one. I bought an EVO X GSR in the spring and owned it for a few months, then sold it to buy the 135i, which was delivered a couple of months ago.

The 135i definitely has the better motor and is faster in a straight line, but out of the box, the handling of the GSR blew away the handling of the stock 135i.

My reasons for the swap were: (i) I hated the tranny in the GSR - it would always grind going from 2nd to 3rd and was generally very notchy (the 135 tranny is much smoother); (ii) the GSR motor lacked low end power; (iii) the GSR had harsh suspension for every day use; (iv) the GSR was geared too low for long drives at highway speed, which made it buzzy and loud over 60 mph; (v) the BMW motor is very smooth and has a wide power band; (v) I have to act like a grown up sometimes for various reasons, and the GSR is not the most professional or mature looking car ever made; (vi) I was hoping that upgrading the suspension on the 135 would improve the handling enough to be competitive with the GSR - the shocks and springs are getting replaced as I write this; (vii) the GSR has a terrible blind spot that can make daily driving somewhat dangerous if you don't really pay attention when changing lanes - this may seem trivial, but it nearly caused an accident on a couple of occasions, and it annoyed me.

So far, I'm quite happy with the 135, but I'm really hoping that the suspension upgrade will improve the body roll and pogo effect. I went with Koni Sport shocks and struts, with Eibach Pro Kit springs.
Really close to my story. Are you on EvoM? What is your screen name?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #27
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinweiß View Post
Really close to my story. Are you on EvoM? What is your screen name?
I'm Andrew. I'm not on the EVO X forum. I did post once on that forum, but just to sell my noah car cover for the EVO. Btw, I still have the EVO cover if you know anyone who might want to buy it cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

Quote:
I'm Andrew. I'm not on the EVO X forum. I did post once on that forum, but just to sell my noah car cover for the EVO. Btw, I still have the EVO cover if you know anyone who might want to buy it cheap.
WHY?
Do you guys sell your EVO X....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #29
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M ichael View Post
WHY?
Do you guys sell your EVO X....
Yeah, I sold the EVO. See my post above.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #30
Intenseblue
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
uhhh you might wanna check those numbers...stock WRX are not that fast its more like 5.8-6.0
Car and Driver hit 4.7
Motor Trend hit 4.8

Both of these were 2009 models with the 265hp engine. 2008s had the same engine but only 225hp

2008 specs

Car and Driver 5.8
Motor Trend 5.6

Car and Driver could only hit 5.0 out of the new STI, yet Motor Trend hit 4.7.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #31
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
AWD doesn't require the same skill and smoothness on the track as RWD or even FWD. AWD corrects some of your mistakes. I had an Audi S4 for years. Much easier to drive fast, but a well sorted RWD with a skilled driver, should be faster. I learned a lot of bad habits in my Quattro. Now I've taken a step back with RWD, but I'm confident I will be faster in my 135i than I ever was in the S4.
something I also realized coming from my STI limited .... much easier to go fast in .... until you gain complete control over you RWD.

AWD does most of the work for you ... although loosing an AWD in a corner is much harder to recover than a RWD ... no Dorifto on AWD .... just plowing into the ditch
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
aznbenz07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Evolution x gsr, 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
2008 Mitsubishi  [0.00]
Quote:

^ everything sounds accurate accept the grown up part. IMO the x is more adult then the 1, I'm only 5' 7 and the 135 hurts my back when trying to sit in it. My x is just as fast as a 1 with 4 doors and room for a baby seat but doesn't look like an ugly hatch like the sti, while the 1 can barely fit a lamp in the back seat when coming home from one of those impromptu trips to ikea with wifee. Also, keep in mind that the x was built as the more mature version of the ix, mistu could have easily developed another car that DOMINATES all in sheer performance the way the ix's did and still do (race a ix you'll be annihilated) but they created a monumentally advance handling vehicle, that is more environmentally friendly and technologically advanced with its aluminum engine and s-awc, and nav system. Much nicer interior although still plastic, seats in the x are untouchable (so nice).
      04-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #33
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbenz07 View Post
^ everything sounds accurate accept the grown up part. IMO the x is more adult then the 1, I'm only 5' 7 and the 135 hurts my back when trying to sit in it. My x is just as fast as a 1 with 4 doors and room for a baby seat but doesn't look like an ugly hatch like the sti, while the 1 can barely fit a lamp in the back seat when coming home from one of those impromptu trips to ikea with wifee. Also, keep in mind that the x was built as the more mature version of the ix, mistu could have easily developed another car that DOMINATES all in sheer performance the way the ix's did and still do (race a ix you'll be annihilated) but they created a monumentally advance handling vehicle, that is more environmentally friendly and technologically advanced with its aluminum engine and s-awc, and nav system. Much nicer interior although still plastic, seats in the x are untouchable (so nice).
That guys review didn't make any sense any way. He complained about the Evo having too stiff of a suspension for DD and yet he goes on to say that he replaced the stock suspension of the 135 to make it more comparable to the Evo.

Then he goes on to complain about a blind spot saying it almost caused an accident even though he openly admits to not "really pay attention when changing lanes".

Evo's are know to have "notchy" trannies and "low" gearing as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

That EVO X sure is sexy. I just couldnt deal with 15-16mpg out of a Japanese car. I've read a lot of long-term reviews and the mpg is just poor for a car that hasnt been modded. I hear they run really rich from the factory though.
      04-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #35
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
That EVO X sure is sexy. I just couldnt deal with 15-16mpg out of a Japanese car.
That's my objection too! If it's a Japanese car or has 4 cylinders I expect 30+ mpg.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #36
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That's my objection too! If it's a Japanese car or has 4 cylinders I expect 30+ mpg.
That's crazy for a performance car. A civic, yes, but not a high strung turbo 4.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #37
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I know, but I grew up on Japanse cars that were built well and had great mpg - so I just assume they should all be like that. Emphasis on the quality. The issues plaguing the 135i is something I never had to worry about or anticipate before.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
That's crazy for a performance car. A civic, yes, but not a high strung turbo 4.
Cobalt SS Turbo get 30mpg.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #39
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoid View Post
Cobalt SS Turbo get 30mpg.
Good catch! Yes it does.
      04-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #40
aznbenz07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
2008 Mitsubishi  [0.00]
Quote:
That guys review didn't make any sense any way. He complained about the Evo having too stiff of a suspension for DD and yet he goes on to say that he replaced the stock suspension of the 135 to make it more comparable to the Evo.

Then he goes on to complain about a blind spot saying it almost caused an accident even though he openly admits to not "really pay attention when changing lanes".

Evo's are know to have "notchy" trannies and "low" gearing as well.
Notchy trannies... yes but low gearing... no (after a tune). My x makes power up to 7.5k rpm with a mild tune.

axoid- Cobalt ss isn't running 21 psi stock from factory. I'm running 25 psi right now and when I get down on it and run mid to low 12's I don't expect to keep great gas millage just because it's Japanese.
      04-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Notchy trannies... yes but low gearing... no (after a tune). My x makes power up to 7.5k rpm with a mild tune.

axoid- Cobalt ss isn't running 21 psi stock from factory. I'm running 25 psi right now and when I get down on it and run mid to low 12's I don't expect to keep great gas millage just because it's Japanese.
A tune doesn't change the cars gearing.

And if I cared about gas mileage I would have bought a prius.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #42
aznbenz07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
2008 Mitsubishi  [0.00]
Quote:
A tune doesn't change the cars gearing.

And if I cared about gas mileage I would have bought a prius.
It doesn't change gearing but before the tune I achieved peak boost at 5k rpm therefore that's where I shifted because my boost would taper down by 7k rpm. Now, after the tune my peak boost hits at 5k but doesn't taper down by 7k, It's still pumping out boost and power up until 7.5k so I can shift at 7k rpm. You understand?
      04-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #43
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
It doesn't change gearing but before the tune I achieved peak boost at 5k rpm therefore that's where I shifted because my boost would taper down by 7k rpm. Now, after the tune my peak boost hits at 5k but doesn't taper down by 7k, It's still pumping out boost and power up until 7.5k so I can shift at 7k rpm. You understand?
Do you have an "X" and a 135i? I'm going to sell my '06 STi and buy a 135i...I hope. I even thought about a E46 M3 too. Help me make a decision. I know I have to decide but I've always been a bit worried about the reliability of the Mitsubishi.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #44
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Do you have an "X" and a 135i? I'm going to sell my '06 STi and buy a 135i...I hope. I even thought about a E46 M3 too. Help me make a decision. I know I have to decide but I've always been a bit worried about the reliability of the Mitsubishi.
You should ask Noize as well. He went from a Evo to a 135 and then back to a Evo X.

Here is his member profile, doesn't look like he comes here that often though.
Appreciate 0