BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
murph1379
Rep
Drives:

128i for STX questions

Not that I'll have the $$$ to make it happen, but I've thought about it a few times, and I have some detailed questions...

1) Can it fit 255s on 9" wheels up front? (assuming LOTS of front camber, and tolerating a little rub)

2) How high can it rev safely with a tune? And by that I mean, what does 2nd gear top out at?

3) How much do key stock items weigh:
- Seats
- Exhaust
- Battery
- wheels/tires

4) Any weird traction control, ECU, or cooling issues that present when you're trying to drive the thing at or beyond the limit?

5) Can the e-diff be disabled? (not sure if the 128i has this...)

6) Where are the stock cats?

7) Can you get it without a sunroof?

8) Does anyone know how low the fuel can be run before starving on track?

8) (bonus round) does anyone have chassis rigidity numbers?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Not that I'll have the $$$ to make it happen, but I've thought about it a few times, and I have some detailed questions...

1) Can it fit 255s on 9" wheels up front? (assuming LOTS of front camber, and tolerating a little rub)

Others will have to chime in here but i dont think so.. ( i currently run 225's and if i recall i ve heard of 235's.. a 128 follows the same constraints as a 128 BTW)

2) How high can it rev safely with a tune? And by that I mean, what does 2nd gear top out at?

in an auto 2nd gear is good for about 54 before it gets real noisey

3) How much do key stock items weigh:
- Seats
- Exhaust
- Battery
- wheels/tires

power seats are a ton.. I have Manual sport seats.. sit lower and are lighter
search for the exhaust question, but IIRC the rear section weighs 70 lBS
Battery is huge.. plenty of weight savings to be had, but theses cars are picky about their power levels
Taking off run flats, and going to wider (not special) aftermarket wheels saved me 3 lbs up front and 5 in the back ( per wheel) If you go ala ultraalegras or something alot to be gained
4)

Any weird traction control, ECU, or cooling issues that present when you're trying to drive the thing at or beyond the limit?

Oil temps will put car into Limp mode.. have only gotten that after the many many laps on track in the final sessions
5) Can the e-diff be disabled? (not sure if the 128i has this...)

No

6) Where are the stock cats?

manifold

7) Can you get it without a sunroof?

Yes .. Mine has no sunroof ( simply delete premium package )

8) Does anyone know how low the fuel can be run before starving on track?

13 laps on a 2 mile course.. averaging about 7 Mpg. started with about a little over a 1/4 tank ended on the low fuel light going to the gas station.. did not starve, but i should have..It was close..

8) (bonus round) does anyone have chassis rigidity numbers?
Not me..
      12-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
murph1379
Rep
Drives:

DriveHard, thanks for your response, though I'm looking for input from folks pushing the limit a bit more, and on the manual transmission.

Think coilovers, swaybars, camber plates, 17x9 wheels with 255 tires, LSD, lightweight battery, intake, headers, exhaust, race seats. Trying to gauge the results and the limitations of the car in that sort of trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
murph1379
Rep
Drives:

Oh yeah, forgot I already asked Berk about tires, they say they got 265s under stock front fenders on 18x9" wheels, so that is answered.
Appreciate 0