BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Cornering bulb upgrade?

I'd like to upgrade from the stock halogen 35w H3 bulbs in the cornering lights.

Anyone know of an LED that is reliable and brighter than stock?

I see that 55w bluish halogens are available, but I'd be reluctant to add that much additional wattage to the headlamps, even though they would not be on very much, and I'm not sure how the car would react to a higher-current bulb.

Any experiences?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Well, I got a pair of Phillips' blue-coated 55w H3 bulbs from Amazon, to replace the stock dim orange cornering bulbs.

Found a good DIY here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239169

To clarify, the "clips" that others have had difficulty locating look like a thin bar of plastic an inch long, running fore and aft, just outboard next to the little cover. I used a thin screwdriver from the outboard direction, to push the clip toward center and pry up. After that, it was just 20 minutes of fiddling to get the bulbs out and wiggled and twisted back in place.

Hint: take both covers off while you work on the first one, so you have a visual reference for how the bulb fits back in.

The color isn't quite as bright-white as the eyebrow or my LED angel-eyes, but it's close to the HIDs, and lot better-looking and more light than the 35w OEM.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-18-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0