BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
128iWC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Red face Would like 128i 'winter' wheel and snow tire advice in Layman's Terms

hi, bought my 128i this year....went from my beloved 318ti 1997.

I've read other posts on winter tires and wheels, but I'm quite the layman, and they seemed techy posts "to me"....

I'm thus requesting a (non sarcastic ) REPLY on recommendations for winter tires and wheels, written for the non-techy layman.

What I know: I had blizzaks for my 318ti on separate wheels, and whether performance or psychological, I felt extra confident with the snows. I want to create the same experience with my 128i, with this economy in mind. (unfortunately/fortunately, i was given the wheels for the 318ti snows, and never had to "research" what to buy for that car)

What I want to know:

- recommendations on wheel options (cost effective - not BMW $$$$$ wheels) and snow tire options for my 128i.... I am assuming Tirerack is a reference, and will start looking on there...blindly.
- do i have to worry about the runflat technology when i go to snows?...i don't really need runflat...although a layman, I know how to check my tire pressure

What I have now: 205/50/R17s standard delivery from the dealer.

Thank you kindly
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
acivick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Dinan Sedona 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
If you didn't get the sport package, I believe you have all seasons, which should be fine. If you do have the sport package, then you should pick up some snow boots.

In that case, Tire Rack is the best way to do you research:
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterP...lar=Base+Model

I would send a PM to Gill@TireRack and he'll help you out in getting a good config for your setup. Personally, I have some Sport Edition wheels and Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds, which work quite well. Blizzaks are also quite good, as you know. Expect to pay ~$1100-1200 or so for the whole thing.

Oh and run-flats are a bit of a toss up. They cost more, wear faster, and feel worse, but if you do get a flat, they will allow you to still ride on them for around 50 miles. Note that they are NOT designed to work better at lower pressures, which seems to be what you were indicating. Their only benefit is if and when you get a flat.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
dk38
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My take on a winter setup is to go the cheapest, most effective route. If it snows a lot where you are and it takes a while for the roads to be cleared I would not recommend driving on all seasons with rear wheel drive. You will have to be extra careful and starting from a standstill in several inches of snow is going to be bothersome.
I would go with a tire with the smallest possible width for your car on the cheapest wheel tirerack has to offer. Can somebody else chime in on whether 16s fit on 128 with sport package? I'm pretty sure they do and you didnt mention if you have sport package. If they do fit or if you dont have the sport package. The setup that might work is 205/55 r16. Otherwise if you do have sport package and you cant fit 16s then go with smallest, cheapest 17" setup. tirerack.com is a good place to answer most of your questions and to make things simpler they even have a winter wheel and tire combo link.
I personally dislike run flats so i would go with a non run flat tire but that is just my opinion. You could either buy a run flat kit or just put one of your summer wheels in the trunk as a backup if you do decide to go non rft.
either bridstone blizzaks or dunlop 3ds from the "sport" winter category should be fine but again tirerack will provide more info for exact tire for your needs.
Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
128iWC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

More info, original post

Thank you very much for the replies thus far.

I do not have the sports package.
Appreciate 0