BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
And you're obviously exempt from my earlier statement that not many people on here really bother helping any one else any more. But you're an OG so that's expected

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Same thing happens to my car on occasion. Just a vibration when turning the wheel just off center when the car is stopped or barely moving. My car is running factory suspension and currently on 17" wheels. It doesn't happen all the time. I seem to think it's the particular road surface I'm on, but that could just be me talking out my a$$.
You just live with it? If we're talking about the same thing.. it's the steering wheel AND the whole car shaking when you turn the wheel just slightly off from center at very low speed. I have AT and it happens most when I give it no gas and let the car "creep".

How long has this happened for you? I'm assuming nothing terrible has happened thus far. Crazy. It's happened on all sorts of surfaces with me, and the fact that you have 17"s and I have 19"s means it probably isn't a wheel size issue..

This is reminding me of the infamous clicking/card in bicycle spokes sound that used to happen to me whenever I took a turn at ANY speed. A lot of people got it, all different tires, wheels, suspension components. Don't think we ever figured it out. It stopped once I took my Breyton rims + hankook tires off. But everyone else was running different wheels, tires, and suspension components so it couldn't have been that... this car is seriously weird.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
You just live with it? If we're talking about the same thing.. it's the steering wheel AND the whole car shaking when you turn the wheel just slightly off from center at very low speed. I have AT and it happens most when I give it no gas and let the car "creep".

How long has this happened for you? I'm assuming nothing terrible has happened thus far. Crazy. It's happened on all sorts of surfaces with me, and the fact that you have 17"s and I have 19"s means it probably isn't a wheel size issue..

This is reminding me of the infamous clicking/card in bicycle spokes sound that used to happen to me whenever I took a turn at ANY speed. A lot of people got it, all different tires, wheels, suspension components. Don't think we ever figured it out. It stopped once I took my Breyton rims + hankook tires off. But everyone else was running different wheels, tires, and suspension components so it couldn't have been that... this car is seriously weird.
My car was making a clicking noise everytime I turned left. I took the wheel off this weekend and it turns out the plastic brake cooler duct in the wheel well was sticking out a little too far and cracked from the tire hitting it. So every time I turned the wheel, it would rub up against the broken plastic brake duct and make a loud clicking noise and vibration.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #26
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:

Yep, just live with it. My car has almost 60,000 miles on it and has done this for at least the last 35,000+ miles (it's a CPO car). As I mentioned, it only does this peridodically. I'm not sure if I would say that this shakes the whole car, but it is a definite vibration that originates when turning the steering wheel left or right from center when the car is just creeping (my car is AT, too) or stopped. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for what's going on, whether it's a design flaw or a serious of coincidental circumstances that causes it. My dad is a retired Porsche Master Tech of 30+ years and he was in my car one time when it happened and though he noticed it, he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about...whatever that's worth.
      04-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Maybe its your CV joints in the steering arms? Check to see if there is any play in them. Also check upper and lower ball joints

If there is any play in any of them they need to be replaced

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Maybe its your CV joints in the steering arms? Check to see if there is any play in them. Also check upper and lower ball joints

If there is any play in any of them they need to be replaced

Uggg errr... you realize our cars are RWD right? I don't think you men CV joints (constant velocity joints). You mean tie rods and ball joints right?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #29
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Uggg errr... you realize our cars are RWD right? I don't think you men CV joints (constant velocity joints). You mean tie rods and ball joints right?
Wait they arent FWD?

And dammit. I did a CV replacement on my Merc last year which started with vibrating steering. Dont listen to me anymore.

Except check the ball joints. thats still important

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #30
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
My car was making a clicking noise everytime I turned left. I took the wheel off this weekend and it turns out the plastic brake cooler duct in the wheel well was sticking out a little too far and cracked from the tire hitting it. So every time I turned the wheel, it would rub up against the broken plastic brake duct and make a loud clicking noise and vibration.
I know exactly what you're talking about! But I took out that plastic cover anyway, afraid that the wheel would rub on it when turned. Same exact worry as you. My clicking noise wasn't come from that, though. Who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Yep, just live with it. My car has almost 60,000 miles on it and has done this for at least the last 35,000+ miles (it's a CPO car). As I mentioned, it only does this peridodically. I'm not sure if I would say that this shakes the whole car, but it is a definite vibration that originates when turning the steering wheel left or right from center when the car is just creeping (my car is AT, too) or stopped. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for what's going on, whether it's a design flaw or a serious of coincidental circumstances that causes it. My dad is a retired Porsche Master Tech of 30+ years and he was in my car one time when it happened and though he noticed it, he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about...whatever that's worth.
Maybe it's not so terrible then. The vibration has toned down a little bit since getting everything re-tightened and filling up the power steering fluid, and I noticed it doesn't always happen. Just happens more than I'd like it to. If I really can't figure out the cause soon, I might as well just live with it too. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Wait they arent FWD?

And dammit. I did a CV replacement on my Merc last year which started with vibrating steering. Dont listen to me anymore.

Except check the ball joints. thats still important
Awesome! More stuff to check under the car!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #31
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! More stuff to check under the car!
Just buy yourself a pair of stands and a jack. You dont need to pull any covers or undertray to check them.

Youll thank yourself the next time you switch wheel sets over to winter.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #32
timo1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

My car does this too, and always has. It has stock suspension. I always thought that it's because the e-diff doesn't work very well at very low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #33
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

UPDATE!

So, I found this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293898

And I've been taking my car in to the dealership. A LOT. Today marks the 4th time in about as many weeks that my car has been to the dealership. I got my SA to agree to have my tech ride with me. The tech wasn't noticing the vibration before and blamed it on my aftermarket wheels. Also, blame was placed on the suspension components not having been torqued correctly at install, which was a problem, but not behind this vibration. However, today when he finally took a ride with me we were able to duplicate the vibration/shudder. He agreed with me and said that's definitely NOT normal.

I told him I've been looking up the problem recently and nobody can seem to pinpoint it. The problem occurs across the board, whether 1 or 3 series, 28 or 35, i or xi. Some people have had the whole steering rack changed and the problem went away. At least one other person has had it changed and the problem persists. Some people have aftermarket suspensions, others do not.

We both realized he would probably be in for a tough time trying to figure out what the problem actually is, so I don't really expect to see my car again soon. If he can figure the problem out, I am buying this man a bottle of booze.

I'll keep updating in case anyone's interested.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Wow...good luck man! I wonder if you have a worn bushing somewhere that may be causing this or a sticking caliper...
      05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Wow...good luck man! I wonder if you have a worn bushing somewhere that may be causing this or a sticking caliper...
Just got a call with another update.

Apparently the M3 control arms I put in aren't exactly compatible with the ST coilovers I have in. Something about the angles of everything and I'm getting shuddering to compensate for the change.

I don't buy it. I think they just don't feel like figuring out what the problem actually is.

I guess I have to live with this shit now. They didn't provide an answer as to why I have seen reports of completely stock cars doing this. Damn it.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #36
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah that makes no sense to me b/c i have kw's with the m3 bits and I get zero shuddering and a very quiet ride....I wonder if your PS pump is struggling for some reason. Do you feel the shudder in the steering wheel when still or only when moving?
      05-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that makes no sense to me b/c i have kw's with the m3 bits and I get zero shuddering and a very quiet ride....I wonder if your PS pump is struggling for some reason. Do you feel the shudder in the steering wheel when still or only when moving?
Both when moving at low speeds and when standing still. They're just BSing me and don't seem to care that stock cars have the same issue.

I also brought up that I know someone with the M3 parts and KW coils and they said "well KW coils work on M3s but ST coils don't, so they're not compatible."

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah def sounds like a power steering pump/rack issue. If you rev the motor does it go away or get worse, the same?
      05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah def sounds like a power steering pump/rack issue. If you rev the motor does it go away or get worse, the same?
If I rev, it tends to go away because then I start going too fast for it to happen. However, I haven't tried in neutral at all. Never thought to.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

try that and report back Pretty sure it's rack or pump at this point...
      11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #41
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
If I rev, it tends to go away because then I start going too fast for it to happen. However, I haven't tried in neutral at all. Never thought to.
hey mate, did you ever figure it out?? I had m3 suspension bits and ST coilovers onstalled last week and ever since getting my car back its doing this too! really badly!!! Im going to go mad if I have to live with it! did you install both mods at the same time or separately, & if separate, after which fid it start?
PS no difference for me with revving
cheers

Last edited by Curare86; 11-26-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

same happens to me occasionally,

when standing or just rolling really slow at idle and turning the steering wheel just slightly, the car starts shuddering and sounds like it stresses itself to turn the front wheels

checked fluids, seems okay

anyone has a solution?
      01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #43
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
same happens to me occasionally,

when standing or just rolling really slow at idle and turning the steering wheel just slightly, the car starts shuddering and sounds like it stresses itself to turn the front wheels

checked fluids, seems okay

anyone has a solution?
It went away when I put on my 17" winter wheels and tires on. What size wheels are you running? Are they aftermarket? I had 19x8.5" and 19x9.5" and I'm thinking the power steering was running into trouble trying to fight the friction of the bigger rubber to turn the wheels at low speeds. At least that's my current theory because BMW did everything to try to fix it, save for changing out the whole steering rack. They ended up just blaming the aftermarket weeks too.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

im on stock 261 18" wheels with 225\35\18 tires.

i dont think it should be a problem, but why does it strain the system so much?