BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

fake vent in rear bumper

The black plastic insert in my rear bumper's fake vent popped out today. Anyone else had this problem? Any tips on getting it back into place?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Happened to me once washing the car. You'll need to pop it back in from behind the bumper. Take out a couple screws from the back of the fender liner and pull the fender liner away. It's a little tight but you should be able to pop it back in.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
The black plastic insert in my rear bumper's fake vent popped out today. Anyone else had this problem? Any tips on getting it back into place?
Warranty take it back to the dealer to fix
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I'm thinking of removing mine and putting black mesh on the inside of the opening. Since yours is off can you tell me if the opening looks clean from the back?
      01-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
I'm thinking of removing mine and putting black mesh on the inside of the opening. Since yours is off can you tell me if the opening looks clean from the back?
Most likely you're going to see white plastic thingies #3 & 4

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/u/z/235.png

also visible here:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...0/047dde66.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I considered removing mine altogether, but after it popped off during a wash i could see that it is not a clean hole. I guess if the wire mesh has a tight enough weave you won't see the white plastic and other parts. There's not much room to work back there. I suppose tiny hands could mount wire mesh. Would be cool to see what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Im thinking along the same lines.... maybe sometime next week Ill have a chance to take a look

I had done it on the 135 when I brought it home and it came out great.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=mesh
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Happened to me once washing the car. You'll need to pop it back in from behind the bumper. Take out a couple screws from the back of the fender liner and pull the fender liner away. It's a little tight but you should be able to pop it back in.
^^^ I agree with this ^^^

I removed them while detailing my car so I could clean the area better. That was a mistake. The one on the left side goes in pretty easily because you can access the bumper from the back. The right side, however, was much more challenging because access to bumper from the back is very limited (you have to push the piece in from the back to re-install it). I ended up removing four screws from the right rear fender liner so I could get my hand back there. Even then, there wasn't much space.

I don't know if it is necessary to remove the wheel - I had it off already to clean the barrel. I also don't know if the top screw needed to be removed (#1 on the image below).

Here are some pictures.

Appreciate 0