BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #23
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I was in the same boat as you and went for the Pilot A/S last spring, and then had the BMW PS installed--a good combination, IMO. Straight line traction in the wet is outstanding, maybe even better than the summer only PS2's, and I've gone through several sets of those. I drove through a thunderstorm on I-24 at 100, just to see what it was like and it was no problem. Solid as a rock. And there were many cars that had given up and pulled over to the shoulder. I have not pushed them in the corners in the wet--I'm not that crazy, so I can't say more than that the A/S limits are higher than my admittedly low limits there. I'm running 37/39 psi front/rear, and found that that gives me much more highway stability and point and shoot kind of fun steering in traffic. Probably not the best set-up for the track, but I never go to the track anyway, except to watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #24
old1
yield to pedestrians
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
One must remember that "All Season" is marketing speak for "compromised summer tire, and not a very good snow tire."

Always best to use snow tires in the winter if you do get snow and enjoy summer tires the rest of the year.
Everything is a compromise, and were all suckers for marketing, after all we're driving BMW's, aren't we?

The winter tires are compromised at everything above 40 degrees F and, in my experience, the summer tires begin to lose traction at 70 degrees, so what then, get a third set of intermediates?

The tire that works best for you probably depends most on where you live. I've read that Canadians who decide to use two sets use A/S in the summer and winter tires for the rest of the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1 View Post
The tire that works best for you probably depends most on where you live. I've read that Canadians who decide to use two sets use A/S in the summer and winter tires for the rest of the year.
No enthusiasts I know in Canada do that, only people who find the OEM all-season tyres that came with the car to be inadequate in winter. Summer tyres still have better grip at 10C than all-seasons, below that temp it is time to switch to winters.
Appreciate 0