Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
BMW M Performance Sport brake pads
Pagid RS19s
Ferodo DS2500

Take your pick. I personally prefer the first 2 and I'm currently using the BMW ones which have been great but very noisy. I prefer to swap pads for track days as good track biased pads are extremely noisy for road use. People on the streets cringe and stare at me with disgust whenever I come to the stop.
Just letting them know you mean business

Have PFC-08's and had a great track day with them last week.
LOL!

PFCs are great too.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #46
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
[

BMW M Performance Sport brake pads
Pagid RS19s
Ferodo DS2500

Take your pick. I personally prefer the first 2 and I'm currently using the BMW ones which have been great but very noisy. I prefer to swap pads for track days as good track biased pads are extremely noisy for road use. People on the streets cringe and stare at me with disgust whenever I come to the stop.
Sure it's just the brakes giving that reaction?!?

Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the Ferodo DS2500 and PFC08.

I'm not too mechanically inclined and don't want to be swapping brakes. I've got another 'proper' track car for a good bash, the 1M makes it out once a month for some good fun.

It's not going to be daily driven anymore either.

So either of these two or the Sport sones should be good?

I feel tempted to try the sport ones so I can ask the dealer to install it with no issues.
      08-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just letting them know you mean business

Have PFC-08's and had a great track day with them last week.
I have heard great stuff about this and was convinced till a minute ago!
      08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #48
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I have heard great stuff about this and was convinced till a minute ago!
I wouldnt go.with these if youre not swapping pads back and forth. They are noisy when cold and rattle like a choo choo train!! They are great track pads, but not meant for the road. I cant speak for the other two pads but im not sure theres a "good" track and DD pad.

Different pads for different purposes
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #49
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I wouldnt go.with these if youre not swapping pads back and forth. They are noisy when cold and rattle like a choo choo train!! They are great track pads, but not meant for the road. I cant speak for the other two pads but im not sure theres a "good" track and DD pad.

Different pads for different purposes
Fair enough. Might try the OEM Sport pads first - they are likely to be the best compromise.
      08-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #50
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. Might try the OEM Sport pads first - they are likely to be the best compromise.
While the OEM sport pads perform beautifully on the road and track, rain or shine, cold or hot, they do squeal and grind loudly with light pedal pressure when you are slowing down at cool temperatures. It's always going to be a trade-off. What you can do however is get something like this to help:

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/s...-silencer-kit/

If you look at the standard oem pads, you'll see the same thing as what is shown in the link above.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #51
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
While the OEM sport pads perform beautifully on the road and track, rain or shine, cold or hot, they do squeal and grind loudly with light pedal pressure when you are slowing down at cool temperatures. It's always going to be a trade-off. What you can do however is get something like this to help:

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/s...-silencer-kit/

If you look at the standard oem pads, you'll see the same thing as what is shown in the link above.
Never going to win!

Which do you think is a better balance, DS2500 or OEM Sport?
      08-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #52
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Never going to win!

Which do you think is a better balance, DS2500 or OEM Sport?
I've only had the Ferodo DS2500 in my previous car which was a MK5 Golf R32, and I felt that they were a good compromise between a full on track pad and a performance pad for the road. They were pretty quiet with the occasional soft squeal, which wouldn't bother anyone. Given that the R32 has a similar caliper to the M3/1M - both being made by ATE and are single piston - it would be possible to compare the DS2500 to the OEM Sport Pads.

The initial bite of the DS2500 is not as sharp and hard as the OEM Sport Pads. OEM Sport Pads have a better initial bite during winter temperatures. However, the DS2500 has a similar initial bite and pedal feel as the standard OEM pads when cold. Once warm/hot, the DS2500 improve quite a bit in terms of pedal firmness and bite. The DS2500 is nearly half the price of the Sport Pads. Given that it doesn't get particularly cold in Australia compared to Europe, the DS2500 should work well for you. They are good quality pads and are often used in the AP Racing BB kits. In your situation, I would probably go for them since they aren't too expensive and you can always get something more track focused if you find them inadequate.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #53
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've only had the Ferodo DS2500 in my previous car which was a MK5 Golf R32, and I felt that they were a good compromise between a full on track pad and a performance pad for the road. They were pretty quiet with the occasional soft squeal, which wouldn't bother anyone. Given that the R32 has a similar caliper to the M3/1M - both being made by ATE and are single piston - it would be possible to compare the DS2500 to the OEM Sport Pads.

The initial bite of the DS2500 is not as sharp and hard as the OEM Sport Pads. OEM Sport Pads have a better initial bite during winter temperatures. However, the DS2500 has a similar initial bite and pedal feel as the standard OEM pads when cold. Once warm/hot, the DS2500 improve quite a bit in terms of pedal firmness and bite. The DS2500 is nearly half the price of the Sport Pads. Given that it doesn't get particularly cold in Australia compared to Europe, the DS2500 should work well for you. They are good quality pads and are often used in the AP Racing BB kits. In your situation, I would probably go for them since they aren't too expensive and you can always get something more track focused if you find them inadequate.
Good idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thought out response.
      08-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #54
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thought out response.
You're welcome. Oh, one more thing, with hybrid/track pads, they may rattle over rough roads, and will clank when you brake as your reverse and clank again when you brake after moving forwards - the pads are simply just shifting within the caliper. The reason for this is because the metal pad-back is made slightly smaller to allow for thermal expansion when your brakes get really hot, so as to prevent the pad from seizing within the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #55
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
You're welcome. Oh, one more thing, with hybrid/track pads, they may rattle over rough roads, and will clank when you brake as your reverse and clank again when you brake after moving forwards - the pads are simply just shifting within the caliper. The reason for this is because the metal pad-back is made slightly smaller to allow for thermal expansion when your brakes get really hot, so as to prevent the pad from seizing within the caliper.
And because track pads -- at least those used by racers -- typically do not include the clips, since those would only slow down pad changes.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #56
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
And because track pads -- at least those used by racers -- typically do not include the clips, since those would only slow down pad changes.

Neil
This too, but Ferodo DS2500 and Pagid RS19s for OEM calipers have clips.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #57
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
This too, but Ferodo DS2500 and Pagid RS19s for OEM calipers have clips.
If thats the case (as stated I have no experience with those) than I would say those are your best option OP. Anything that doesn't have those clips will instantly go into the "not what you're looking for" category
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
What a perfect timing. I just came back from watkins glen. and after session 3 the last 5 mins, My steering wheel is shaking. session 4 got worst.

My instructor told me I have a warp rotor. but after reading all the posts, maybe it's the brake deposits.

I am using stock pad with stock rotor and super blue brake fluid.

I already made an appointment on Monday for the service.

Let's see what BMW says...

Do they replaced for free or not?
For the update of my story.

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

So they replaced both front rotors under warranty, but no new pads installed.

Case closed.
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #59
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

Case closed.
Good that they replaced it FOC. But 0.008mm is defined as runout not warped .
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #60
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
in the paperwork it printed:

measured front rotor runout. .008MM

How many mm will accounted for the warped rotor?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #61
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What a perfect timing. I just came back from watkins glen. and after session 3 the last 5 mins, My steering wheel is shaking. session 4 got worst.

My instructor told me I have a warp rotor. but after reading all the posts, maybe it's the brake deposits.

I am using stock pad with stock rotor and super blue brake fluid.

I already made an appointment on Monday for the service.

Let's see what BMW says...

Do they replaced for free or not?

Case closed.
Glad to see you had a great time!! haha sounds like a silly question but did you get full lap cool offs before coming in?

And I hate to say this but kind of funny... two track events for you, two brake issues. Two events for me, no issues

Had a BLAST at lime rock two Friday's ago!! You should definitely come next time!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #62
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Glad to see you had a great time!! haha sounds like a silly question but did you get full lap cool offs before coming in?

And I hate to say this but kind of funny... two track events for you, two brake issues. Two events for me, no issues

Had a BLAST at lime rock two Friday's ago!! You should definitely come next time!
You are right. And I hope it ended my bad luck.

I ordered Ferodo DS2500 and it should arrive tomorrow.

My next track day is at NJMP Lighting on 9/7.

I hope *finger crossed* this time is problem free!

When is your next event?
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #63
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:

Case closed.
Quote:
You are right. And I hope it ended my bad luck.

I ordered Ferodo DS2500 and it should arrive tomorrow.

My next track day is at NJMP Lighting on 9/7.

I hope *finger crossed* this time is problem free!

When is your next event?
Haha yeah!!!

Nice. I ran limerock with my new PFC08's. IDK how those are, but i would consider running stock pads on the back. I ran the 08's all around and sometimes experienced shuddering during hard braking, and it may just not be necessary for different back pads. Personally, im still not completely used to the new hot biting power. The PFC's are just ridiculous. It was like going back to square one because my braking strategy, pedal use, etc. had to completely change with them. I was overbraking way too much.

On a positive note my instructor (races F2000 cars) was blown away by the braking power. He was in disbelieve when he asked if they were 2 or 4 pot brakes and I said 1

As of right now I may be done for the season Not sure how many more weekdays I can get off as I am working in Hartford CT for at least the next month or so, and then Boston. I would love to go back to NJ.

I have put power mods aside for now.. My next priority is to save for a set of APEX Arc-8's with some stickier rubber. Oh yeah that reminds me, my rear tires are TOAST and definitely not track worthy. (Dont know whether to or lol )
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #64
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284
Quote:
in the paperwork it printed:

measured front rotor runout. .008MM

How many mm will accounted for the warped rotor?
It's not the amount - runout can be either deposit or true warp or both. Dealer cannot say with certainty that it's warped unless disc has been completely rid of uneven deposits. Most mechanics are not going to distinguish and clarify because it's easier to say warped. But in engineering terms, you cannot determine warp just because of runout. Runout just means runout.

Sorry, I like being pedantic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #65
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's not the amount - runout can be either deposit or true warp or both. Dealer cannot say with certainty that it's warped unless disc has been completely rid of uneven deposits. Most mechanics are not going to distinguish and clarify because it's easier to say warped. But in engineering terms, you cannot determine warp just because of runout. Runout just means runout.

Lol!

I know I saw a post about this earlier.... but I guess this answers the question somebody posed as to whether the dealer finds it easier/cost worthy to chase down the problem and possible causes or to just declare it warped and replace.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #66
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lol!

I know I saw a post about this earlier.... but I guess this answers the question somebody posed as to whether the dealer finds it easier/cost worthy to chase down the problem and possible causes or to just declare it warped and replace.
That was me
Appreciate 0