E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > TOP GEAR AWARDS comes to worst conclusion ever: E90 "an apalling car"

12-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #45
jaro
Rep
Drives: 03 325i and 03 Cayenne S

hahahah...now I like they guy...after hearing what he said about the French....that's my boy!
He also liked the RS4 which I'm hot to try out when it comes out...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #46
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasade1
Steady on mate, idiot brit shows? Good job there aren't any idiot Americans eh?

don't get me wrong, 5th gear and top gear are better than the drivel they call automotive press over here. At least in England they'll bash something if is stinks.

they do love their jags and astons though. Maybe a bit too much....

I love how the brit shows will rip poor products though
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #47
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Wasn't Clarkson the same guy who used a Nazi salute recently on his show?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...r-nazi-salute/

Maybe he just has a thing against anything made in Germany.

I used to like the show when it aired in the US. But with all of this negative press about Clarkson I think I will enjoy the show more when it restarts Stateside without Clarkson. We have enough crazy people on American TV... the Brits can have him.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #48
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
Wasn't Clarkson the same guy who used a Nazi salute recently on his show?
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...r-nazi-salute/

Maybe he just has a thing against anything made in Germany.

I used to like the show when it aired in the US. But with all of this negative press about Clarkson I think I will enjoy the show more when it restarts Stateside without Clarkson. We have enough crazy people on American TV... the Brits can have him.
I thought it was funny, but I'm sure it's more offensive than funny to many others.

Speaking of Top Gear in the US, I had 4 episodes of Top Gear Discovery Channel edition but ended up deleting them all, wasn't a fan of how they purposefully tried to change many of their British phrases to more American English, and how they were obviously a lot more careful with their jokes especially regarding the US and Americans.

Maybe it has much to do with my personal background, I'm used to these things as I came from P.R.China, about 80% of all comments I've read/heard after setting foot on this land regarding my country/race had been degrading insults or condescending judgements, so I'm more open to what other people have to say. If your comment is right/funny, then I'd laugh or give thumbs up. If it's wrong and not funny, then you are an idiot and I need not waste my time.

People can say whatever they want, only you can decide whether it's true or not.

Last edited by Xens; 12-27-2005 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #49
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
I love watching Top Gear. It's a great show. I don't take what Jeremy Clarkson says seriously. He criticizes almost every car.

Only way to watch Top Gear here is BT.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 02:02 AM   #50
Macfreak7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

Let's not forget the brits love satire, and I think that's what this "award" is about. He says the most unexpected thing to get more attention than he'd get if he said what was kinda expected.
Silly but cool.
      12-28-2005, 03:17 AM   #51
jakehere
Rep
Drives: bmw

Isn't it sad how here in the U.S. our car mags are all influenced by advertising $? At least Clarkson gives an honest opinion. Can you imagine Motor Trend saying any car sucks?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 03:21 AM   #52
wchew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
I came from P.R.China
Xens, I must say that I am quite surprise to learn that you are from China....how long have you been here? I mean, the way you "speak", your english and your attitude is very non-chinese. (I say this as a compliment...I am trying to say that you learned the culture really well, at least from another chinese's perspective).
      12-28-2005, 03:22 AM   #53
RussianM3_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: B7 Audi RS4

Jeremys comments are INTENDED to provoke, so you would tune in to his show just to see what he says next (kinda like Howard Stern). They even put the ///M3 in the "seriously uncool" section.
I find the Brits also have the BEST car and motorcycle mags. Car/Evo and TWO/Bike (French Sport Auto is also very good).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 03:59 AM   #54
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
it's a great show, no doubt about it, very entertaining. Here's another comical pic of Clarkson.

Re. his comments on the E90, it was very tongue in cheek, as Xens pointed out.
I think that's Tiff Needell (wiki...)), formerly of Top Gear, now on the competition programme, 'Fifth Gear' on channel five. And if I'm not mistaken he's driving an Ariel Atom, probably one with a supercharged Honda Civic Type R engine in it, judging by the reaction it had.

[edit: hmm, maybe it is Ckarson!]

Jon
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #55
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I don't think Jeremy is a BMW hater, he does love the M5, he has admit it on many occasions. You can't help but see that he has a point about the electronics - why does a car which is basically the sporty high-powered version of a 5 series, need stupid adjustments - like he said himself "BMW are the experts, they should be the ones setting all these things up"

I think for a car as anticipated as a new 3-series, to have such a different approach to styling - is probably why it was given ugliest car of the year. I'm sure plenty of other cars out there are uglier, but none as important as the new 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 04:12 AM   #56
MattJWood
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d SE Sparkling Graphite

Firstly, greetings to all on here! Well, I think Mr Clarkson should be aplauded for his out spoken views, even though I disagree with a lot of them. Today, the british motorist is under attack from evironmentalists, speed cameras, congestion charging and very probably with in the next 5 to 10 years road tolling across the u.k. He took the pie in the face he got in the summer with good humour, I don't think tom cruise would have reacted the same!! As a car owner over hear you feel like the anti christ sometimes, It's good to see someone not afraid to speak their mind in the national press. Don't take the rantings of Clarkson too seriously, and the show has won an Emmy award. Oh by the way, when the Germans fired, the british ducked. When the British fired the Germans ducked. When the Americans fired, every body ducked!! It's our sense of humour that keeps us sane in this mad mad world...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #57
lucasade1
Rep
Drives: E90

Going back to the French thing, James May said that "because they are all esstentially peasents and communists they are quite good at building small cars."

As regards Tiff, he is a better driver than Clarkson. And Vicki Butler-henderson provides eye candy on fith gear but you just can't compare the 2 shows.

Clarkson does drive a GT, but he isn't overly happy with it. It's had to have been repaired on several occasions and the delivery was delayed by quite a few months.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 05:29 AM   #58
markusrsc
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasade1
Clarkson does drive a GT, but he isn't overly happy with it. It's had to have been repaired on several occasions and the delivery was delayed by quite a few months.
Or used to drive one ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 05:46 AM   #59
lucasade1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusrsc
Or used to drive one ?
Thanks for the update, I didn't know.

I have just found the first episode of the new series aired about 2 months ago if anyone's interested:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...421&q=top+gear
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #60
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
As a service to all E90 and 1 Series owners out there, here is Clarkson getting hit by a pie!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005420342,00.html

I think we should make a pie with the BMW roundel on it and lob it at him! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 06:20 AM   #61
lucasade1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
As a service to all E90 and 1 Series owners out there, here is Clarkson getting hit by a pie!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005420342,00.html

I think we should make a pie with the BMW roundel on it and lob it at him! :rocks:
"Millions of people enjoy Top Gear and they are more important than some bird with a pre-menstrual problem.

The pie definitely wasn’t organic. And just think how much jet fuel was used flying the banana over here.

The protester was just some angry bird. But she should be allowed to go lobbing custard pies in the faces of people she doesn’t like.

I behaved better than John Prescott did when a protester threw an egg at him.

I told her it was a great shot and then I told her she had used too much sugar in the mix.

I knew it was going to happen. I even put an old suit on because I knew I was going to get covered in food.

It wasn’t that bad. It was just a little bit of custard around my face. Nothing a flannel couldn’t put right"
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #62
flynn
Registered
Rep
Drives: wheel in each corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakehere
Isn't it sad how here in the U.S. our car mags are all influenced by advertising $? At least Clarkson gives an honest opinion. Can you imagine Motor Trend saying any car sucks?
Whether his opinion is honest or not depends on whether it promotes his brand. Clarkson is there to sell Clarkson and that's all. He's an journo/entertainer, not an oracle.

He was also given the credit for killing off the Brit manufacturer Rover. Truth was Rover died years before and wouldn't lie down. One of the cars that helped put them into freefall was the Mini which revolutionised car design but lost them big money.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #63
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I think BMW pays them to do it.

I always here them saying the cars are a piece of shit...even the M5 - he ragged on it for like 20 mins...then went on to say it's the best car he's ever driven...it's amazing.

Publicity is publicity. If it makes it into the papers that Topgear thinks BMW 3 Series is the ugliest car out there - it's free advertising for BMW. BMW knows most people don't think the car is ugly...but they are all hearing about the new 3 series?

Maybe?

I think it is the other way around - we are all talking about Top gear aren't we....

In fairness - Clarkson prides himself in coming off as a pr%&* from time to time and he has consistently maintained that everything touched by Bangle and his minions is ugly. So take the award for what it is - one man's opinion (there was not any voting etc) and leave it at that. After all, his favorite car looks like a suppository (the Veyron)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #64
DC52E55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

I like Clarkson and I love the Top Gear show.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #65
jpsquared
Another transplanted NY'er
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT TiAg

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
On one episode, Clarkson reviewed a new Renault that tended to oversteer very easily. He said the car had "typical French attributes" and he likened it to being a "surrender-monkey" to every sharp corner

I think he's pompous, too, but entertaining anyway. You all should check out the video of him being embarrassed by Sabine Schmitz on the Nurburgring. She bested his time around the Nordshleife by close to a full minute in some pos Jaguar. I think it's here in the video section...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #66
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3ndy
He's a fan of Jags though, and mercs as he drives a SL55
He sold his SL55. He currently drives a Ford GT and a SLK55, if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0