BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Running Temp

I have a slight problem with sufficiently warming up the engine. Scenario: Dead end road, short distance to intersection with only left or right turn and speed limit on that road is 60mph. I start the car a little before going out, slowly drive to the intersection and only pull out when no cars are in view. There is a little problem there too because the road has a bend not far away. When I finally pull out I build up speed as slowly as possible unless I encounter a few cars coming up behind me. There is a double yellow line in this area so they should not be allowed to pass. On several occasions I have put my emergency blinkers on and pulled as far over as I can which is not much. I guess I am looking at how long should I able the car before taking it out of the garage? I know the water temp will be below oil temp... Comments and suggestions welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

From what I remember from cars I've had with both oil and water temp gauges the oil takes longer to get to operating temp.

I have to drive 1/4 mile every morning, then a brisk left turn to leap into traffic doing around 55 mph. I try not to go over 3k rpm, and not use more accelerator than necessary.

On the flip side, I believe that most wear occurs as the engine warms up, so leaving it to idle for very long, or tip toeing too much when you drive off, may be counterproductive.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Your post doesn't present a clear goal or question, so if you provided either then a better answer could be given. Maybe it's especially cold where you live? Although I have a hard time believing any part of Tx is cold right now.

Warm up with modern engineering, materials, engine management, oil, etc, is drive and go. Accelerate easy until the oil is warm enough for your comfort. Moderate RPMs are best, not too low not too high. Good oil pressure that way.

In reality unless your car is modded or you plan to keep it an exceptionally long time, you could jump in and floor it if need be. The stock DME will limit power significantly depending on the engine temperature. I'd be surprised if you did much damage to the motor this way even doing it over an extended period of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

My goal is not to cause any damage to the car. When I enter the main road, and see cars coming from behind, I accelerate slowly to the speed limit but never floor it. Sorry for those behind me but my main concern is for my car. I never exceed 3k rpm until the car has had sufficient time to oil everything. The car is not modded and I intend to keep it for a long time. At my age I may go first. Thanks for your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

There is no (scientific) proof that beating on a cold engine is any more detrimental than beating on a warm one.
Also built into the DME are tables for cold power and warm power. Cold will not allow as much as a safety measure.

A short warm up is basic SOP for most car guys. If for nothing else to make sure no warning lights come up or no surprise leaks occur.

There is no legitimate reason you need to be or should be an obstacle on the road.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      06-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #6
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
There is no (scientific) proof that beating on a cold engine is any more detrimental than beating on a warm one.
Also built into the DME are tables for cold power and warm power. Cold will not allow as much as a safety measure.

A short warm up is basic SOP for most car guys. If for nothing else to make sure no warning lights come up or no surprise leaks occur.

There is no legitimate reason you need to be or should be an obstacle on the road.
Thank you for your input. I lean more to what you write and feel that if push comes to shove I can go a little heavier on the peddle. The car is garaged so even in Winter it does not get that cold.

Thanks to all for your responses which puts my pea brain at ease.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

@Stock4Evr what's your mods and what's your tune?

These days cars are built that any idiot can get in them and drive them without needing to warm them up at all. 1 minute of idle in your garage prior to full throttle every morning will not harm your engine if you're regularly servicing, regularly changing the oil, and driving like a regular driver.

I see you live in Texas, so like me, even when your car is 'cold', it's not like 'german cold'.

There are a few things that severely change this equation though. If you're a serious leadfoot, if you have a MHD flash targeting 15+ PSI, if you don't change your oil annually ... then you're outside of the tested specifications and should treat your car a little more carefully (ie. give it 10 minutes of regular driving before hammering it).

Long story short: You'll read stories about Subaru gearboxes and N54 engines being made of glass, because most people writing those stories have almost doubled the stock HP of their engine, and are driving in ways that no 'normal' person ever would. If you're driving your bone stock car 50 meters out of the garage each morning, flooring it to get to 55mph then driving normally; you won't harm your engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You're overthinking it. Drive the car. If you're really worried, short shift.
Gangplank1538.50
      06-19-2018, 05:45 AM   #9
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep

Tks again

No mods, no tunes just the stock w/PPK. I rarely put the peddle to the, do not know the right term, breaking point. I have floored it a couple of times but not often. I always go to the dealership which is just as close to me as any independent service center for fluid changes and check up. As written I guess I am overthinking this. Old guy, old habits.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

If you like carboned up pistons and oval pistons, go ahead, drive it hard cold.

This is a mechanical machine, don't treat it like a smart phone.

Seriously, this is just terrible, terrible advice.
Appreciate 0