BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
SoFloE82
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

DCT Shifting Issues after Bench Flash

First and foremost, I’m not here to say anything negative about the shop that did the work for me. They were nice guys and even opened the shop on a Saturday at my request. If it’s relevant, I wouldn’t mind naming them later but for now I’m leaving them out of this.

So I took my car (2013 135i DCT) to the shop a few weeks ago and had them install a Cobb catted DP, Burger intake, and bench flash the car. Ever since the work was done, the car feels sluggish durning shifts. It used to add a noticeable amount of torque the moment I shifted, almost putting my head back farther into the headrest than it already was while I was in boost.

Now, it seems that the car is dropping boost when I shift. So for example, when I shift my head will actually go forward towards the windshield as a result of the momentary loss of power, then the boost will come back on. It seems to be this way regardless of if it’s on a stock map or MHD map.

That’s one issue... the other issue is that the intake rattled against the cowl. It’s the upper bolt on the MAF that’s rubbing the cowl cover. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
what flash did they install? They're own tune?

as for the drop in power after shift, maybe traction control is kicking in. have you tried to drive the car with DTC enabled? If it's still sluggish after shift with DTC enabled, try with everything fully disabled (long press the traction control button, but be careful as you may get wheel spin or get sideways so do at your own risk).

The intake should have a little bracket that mounts to the stock airbox, do you see that? Maybe some pictures will help.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
SoFloE82
Private
Rep

Honestly, I don’t know... I asked them to bench flash the car to accept the MHD and they didn’t give me any options. They just cracked it open and flashed it. Then I went home and put on the MHD stage 1 93oct. They did send me the original file, and the new file, so I can attach those here when I get home if anyone knows how to read them.

I was surprised that the Cobb catted DP caused the CEL just cruising, I had read that It wouldn’t.

I tried the shifting with DTC off and DSC off after. It definitely improves the shifts, but they’re still not how I remember them being pre-bench flash. I’m thinking I may need to pay for MHDs logging option to get some data of the issue. I’ll also provide photos of the intake rubbing when I get home tonight. I need to take the intake off regardless to try and connect the chargepipe. The shop said it didn’t fit but I ordered it from Burger so I have a hard time believing that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
DHsing99
Rep
Drives: 135is

how long has it been since you were bench flashed?

for me, my DCT was shifting horribly for a good 50 miles with 2-3 restarts before it returned to normal shifting behavior
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
SoFloE82
Private
Rep

It’s been about 2 weeks and definitely over 1000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
If you are flashing your car with any tune, you most definitely need to grab a few logs to see how the car is running. You also may want to flash to MHD map 0 which should be a stock boost flash, see how your car runs, and grab some logs. Then flash to the OTS map and grab some logs. Logs are third gear, WOT from around 2500 to 3000 rpm range all the way to redline. You can also log the bad shifts if they are still occurring.
Appreciate 0