E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My car died!

06-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My car died!

Well, here's a new one. My car won't start at all!

Yesterday, I started it up and it had a real "hard" start...definitely not normal. Then I noticed the clock had been reset. I reset the time and took off to the gym. When I left the gym, another "hard" start and the clock was reset again.

Now today, my car sits in the garage, completely unable to start!

I just got off the phone with Roadside assistance and they said they'll be here in about 90 minutes or less to check it out. They said it sounds like a battery issue, but if it isn't they'll need to tow it to the dealer.

I guess it could be the battery, but all the lights still go on, including the parking and brake lights.

I'm waiting for the guys to come and check it out. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
ShiraiwaRiku
Baby Driver
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I hope it is the battery, then it's just a minor issue

wish you best of luck!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
FLIP954RR
B.A. BARACUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

if the car is completel dead-nothing is going on-then its the battery.
Good Luck!!
      06-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
btc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06/330i/SB/TERA/AL

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Well, here's a new one. My car won't start at all!

Yesterday, I started it up and it had a real "hard" start...definitely not normal. Then I noticed the clock had been reset. I reset the time and took off to the gym. When I left the gym, another "hard" start and the clock was reset again.

Now today, my car sits in the garage, completely unable to start!

I just got off the phone with Roadside assistance and they said they'll be here in about 90 minutes or less to check it out. They said it sounds like a battery issue, but if it isn't they'll need to tow it to the dealer.

I guess it could be the battery, but all the lights still go on, including the parking and brake lights.

I'm waiting for the guys to come and check it out. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

Hey Sharp,

If you still have your car, go out and check the BST cable on the top of your battery, if it loose, then they need to get you a new part.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, thanks for the best wishes guys, but they don't think it's a battery issue, but I guess they'll know for sure tomorrow. It started as soon as they jumped it, but they said it's best to have the dealer look at it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc
Hey Sharp,

If you still have your car, go out and check the BST cable on the top of your battery, if it loose, then they need to get you a new part.
Hey btc...you posted right before me. Nah, they just towed it out of here...

but thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what the dealer has to say tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Hey btc...you posted right before me. Nah, they just towed it out of here...
Did they really tow it or did they put it on a flat bed?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, they put it on a roll-back.

Sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, here's the update so far:

The service guy has no idea what's wrong with the car. He said he knows the car was as dead as...dead, but can't find the problem. The car hasn't been sitting...there's only 3000 miles on the car, but I drive it everyday, just mainly in the city.

He said there is some kind of protector if I accidentally left the headlights or something on, so that's not it.

He said there was a "parasitic sensor" on all day to see where the drain was coming from, but he couldn't find anything. He said I could take it home, but nothing was found or fixed.

I guess I should have asked him this, but I just thought of it now: he said "it" was dead...I don't know if he was talking about the battery or the car, but he said he there's nothing wrong with the battery and couldn't give me a new one. So if there's no new battery, what could they have done (besides jump it) that would have made it start working again, and that I'd be able to take it back home?

Anyway, I told him I didn't want to take it home, and that it was better for them to check it out again tomorrow and see what happens. He's going to let me know tomorrow.

He's at a loss, and so am I. Now what do I do? Suppose them can't find the problem? This doesn't make any sense!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
Well, in my non-expert opinion, I have to say it sounds like some kind of short, either in the battery or the Alternator. The problems sounds like you aren't getting good recharge into your battery or the battery isn't holding a charge. The problem with shorts in an electrical system is it is a bitch to find because it doesn't happen all the time.

Fee
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Well, here's the update so far:

The service guy has no idea what's wrong with the car. He said he knows the car was as dead as...dead, but can't find the problem. The car hasn't been sitting...there's only 3000 miles on the car, but I drive it everyday, just mainly in the city.

He said there is some kind of protector if I accidentally left the headlights or something on, so that's not it.

He said there was a "parasitic sensor" on all day to see where the drain was coming from, but he couldn't find anything. He said I could take it home, but nothing was found or fixed.

I guess I should have asked him this, but I just thought of it now: he said "it" was dead...I don't know if he was talking about the battery or the car, but he said he there's nothing wrong with the battery and couldn't give me a new one. So if there's no new battery, what could they have done (besides jump it) that would have made it start working again, and that I'd be able to take it back home?

Anyway, I told him I didn't want to take it home, and that it was better for them to check it out again tomorrow and see what happens. He's going to let me know tomorrow.

He's at a loss, and so am I. Now what do I do? Suppose them can't find the problem? This doesn't make any sense!
I had a recurrent problem with my 5er that went on for almost a year.

Finally the dealer disconnected all of the cars various modules that use power and reconnected them one by one to see if there was a short. They didn't find anything but this super-reboot as it were fixed the problem

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Did you get a loaner or rental?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
powderhound
Powderhound
Rep
Drives: BMW 325xi

These cars are so electronically complex - BMW mechanics ned to be far from ordinary.

Sharp, please post the result of your situation...I'm sure some of us will also run in to it. thanks very much.

'06 325xi - 6spd man - Prem. Pkg - Sports Pkg - Cld Weather - iDrive - Xenon - SAT R. - graphite / poplar / black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, I got my car back today!

And absolutely nothing was done to it!

They fully recharged the battery and performed a "DIS" test. The only thing in the fault memory was a dead battery, so they have no clue as to what happened or why.

As I said they had the car on a parasitic sensor all day yesterday, all last night, and all this morning, and they came up with nothing. They told me BMW is aware of it because when they have a problem of this nature and can't figure it out, it goes to BMW.

I'd imagine this sort of thing will happen to others, but for me it wasn't out of the blue...there were a few strange things that happened that led up to this, so if you notice any of these, you may be headed in the same situation as me:
  • My "Low Battery" warning light would come on after about 20-30 seconds after getting in the car with just the radio was on (I sometimes would sit in the car and listen to make sure a newly-burnt CD played ok, but without having the engine started).
  • The car wouldn't start right...it would make a strange noise before turning over--definitely a noticable bad engine start
  • My clock kept reseting itself

I hope this can help you guys out. If any of these things happen, you may be nearing a dead battery for some reason. I hope BMW can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, guys!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Let's hope that your problem was isolated - maybe a computer "one off" - and you dont fall prey to the problem again.

Still, it would be nice to know exactly why it happened.

All the best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, David...yeah, I'd like to know what caused it too. I mean, if all they did was recharge the battery, then whatever caused this in the first place might pop up again. I mean, for all I know I could have another dead battery tomorrow...next week...next month...who knows? And even the dealer told me this!

I just don't feel very confident about this right now. I shouldn't be afraid that my car might not start!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
jim lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Electric Red 325xiT Wagon

Unhappy Same Thing Happened to Me Today

Hmm.... this evening I went to my car and had absolutely no electrical power. Couldn't even open the locks with the remote. Car has been just fine for 4600 miles and left it this a.m. locked with no accessories. BMW Assist sent a truck, jump start worked fine, and I drove over to the dealership without incident. Started just fine there, but they are going to look at it tomorrow (and do the telematics campaign fix). Loaned me a nice convertible in the meantime.

Jim
2006 325xiT Sport Wagon
Appreciate 0