BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #397
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Which 1 will be louder AA axle back or berk tec sport axle mid ? For those who have heard both in person which 1 do u like more ?
      01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #398
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman135 View Post
Which 1 will be louder AA axle back or berk tec sport axle mid ? For those who have heard both in person which 1 do u like more ?
well, the AA is a muffler delete......are you talking about the berk muffler delete or sport muffler? muffler deletes are all pretty much the same volume/note. i bet if you really listened closely you could tell a difference, but it's prob minor
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #399
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Spend money on the BMS dual cone intake or something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #400
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
Spend money on the BMS dual cone intake or something else?
are you running a tune or anything else?

if the answer is no, save money and don't buy anything, you won't get much power, if any...

if the answer is yes, the dual cone is a good choice and affordable.
kinda looks cool seeing 2 cones under the hood too.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #401
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
are you running a tune or anything else?

if the answer is no, save money and don't buy anything, you won't get much power, if any...

if the answer is yes, the dual cone is a good choice and affordable.
kinda looks cool seeing 2 cones under the hood too.
Stock at the moment... I might add JB sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #402
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

if you're going to do anything, do both at the same time, otherwise just wait to install the intakes until you've got the tune in. unless you want a noise maker.

But the DCI is a good way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #403
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
if you're going to do anything, do both at the same time, otherwise just wait to install the intakes until you've got the tune in. unless you want a noise maker.

But the DCI is a good way to go.

mr5 proved in his testing that a tuned vehicle is best served with either a dci intake or a mr5 diy intake. the stock airbox is too restrictive at higher than stock boost levels (the wastegate duty cycles were higher, indicating the turbo's were having to "work harder" to provide enough air for the boost target)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #404
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I'm unfamiliar with the mr5 DIY, do you have a link for it?

I might be going this route when i get insurance sorted out for my car and get the new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #405
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
i wouldnt do intake unless you have a tune and plan on other mods. Mr5 and Terry both show improvement with intake on modified cars and i agree; however with our twin turbo unless you are mod'n you car adding a simple DCI will suck your power. but lets please not start the great debate on intakes!
      01-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #406
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with the mr5 DIY, do you have a link for it?

I might be going this route when i get insurance sorted out for my car and get the new car.
it's on e90post.com, search in the engine section, mr5 intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
i wouldnt do intake unless you have a tune and plan on other mods. Mr5 and Terry both show improvement with intake on modified cars and i agree; however with our twin turbo unless you are mod'n you car adding a simple DCI will suck your power. but lets please not start the great debate on intakes!
agreed
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #407
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
but lets please not start the great debate on intakes!
nobody was......

we were all saying the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #408
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Cool thanks for the info guys. I won't lose any torque if I use the jb and intakes at the same time will I?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #409
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool thanks for the info guys. I won't lose any torque if I use the jb and intakes at the same time will I?
no, it might loose a little throttle "crispness" or response, but the power is there in the mid-upper range for sure. i've switched back and forth with the stock airbox and dci's to get a better feel for the difference. it's pretty minor honestly, but noticeable
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #410
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
no, it might loose a little throttle "crispness" or response, but the power is there in the mid-upper range for sure. i've switched back and forth with the stock airbox and dci's to get a better feel for the difference. it's pretty minor honestly, but noticeable
it's hard to notice 15 hp when you're running close to 400hp.

you're more likely to feel 15hp on a 200 horsepower car.

you're really just doing the engine and turbos a favor by getting rid of restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #411
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it's hard to notice 15 hp when you're running close to 400hp.

you're more likely to feel 15hp on a 200 horsepower car.

you're really just doing the engine and turbos a favor by getting rid of restrictions.
exactly. which is why i HIGHLY recommend catless downpipes and dci intakes on a tuned vehicle (intercooler is up there, as well).

the turbo's, wastegates are notoriously weak links on this engine, so by running catless dp's and dci's, you're definitely preserving the life of the turbo's if you're tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #412
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hey Bryce,

Relatively new to the 135i group, and I love mine. Been reading a lot of this thread and I liked the part where you covered the differences between the various tunes like JB3, Procede and others... That was before COBB made there announcement about the AccessPort for the 135i. What's your opinion on this product? Where would you rank it among other tune options?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #413
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep

Is there any significant difference between jb3/jb4/jb+ ? My reason for asking is that alot of people are dumping their JB3's and it seems like I could pick one up for cheap. I'll never run any of the high boosts maps or anything so which software is best for me?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #414
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I'm not bryce, but to give you a good idea.

A piggy back is a solution to a problem,

A flash is solving a problem. A flash can cover every single parameter of an engine and all of it's safety systems. This makes it possible to tailor it to exactly what your car needs. Granted the flashes are getting really really high tech, however, they will still never solve all problems that a flash can.

as a result, it is easier to get peak power out of at flash as well as the reliability.

Because it is the stock ECU (and this becomes debatable with new technowlogies in piggybacks) the flash adapts to all the normal conditions like weather, altitude and etc. (yes JBx, and procede do this to a certain extent)

The best possible thing you can do for yourself is to get a dyno tune with something like the cobb. The tune is made specifically for your car and it's engine, not everyone's cars. So, they can pull a little more power and do it safely as a result.

One more thing to note is that piggybacks can sometimes be detectable for when they take over the engine parameters. this usually happens at low enough RPM that most people won't notice. Also newer technology makes this less noticeable. But it is something that i feel sometimes on the JB3. But i don't really care, but i do plan to upgrade to a flash at some point in the future (Need to get my new car first )

Last edited by The1; 01-19-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #415
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Is there any significant difference between jb3/jb4/jb+ ? My reason for asking is that alot of people are dumping their JB3's and it seems like I could pick one up for cheap. I'll never run any of the high boosts maps or anything so which software is best for me?
JB+ is the bargan basement tune, It does the job, but it's cheap an has minimal gains. So for satisfaction, you need to look at the JB3/4

The JB3 is now out of date technology as the JB4 is replacing it, this is why you're finding people are selling the JB3s pretty cheap, they are upgrading.

The JB3/4 is supposedly a little rough around the edges compared to the Procede, this is another reason you're seeing people getting rid of the JB3, as they are changing to a different brand.

Some people can and some can't tell if there's a difference. Mostly depends on the amount of time you spend in your car.

There aren't really enough people running either the JB4 or the Procede V4 yet to know that there are any major differences dynamically. But there will still be the claims that the Procede engages smoother along with a few smaller details.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #416
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
I'm not bryce, but to give you a good idea.

A piggy back is a solution to a problem,

A flash is solving a problem. A flash can cover every single parameter of an engine and all of it's safety systems. This makes it possible to tailor it to exactly what your car needs. Granted the flashes are getting really really high tech, however, they will still never solve all problems that a flash can.

as a result, it is easier to get peak power out of at flash as well as the reliability.

Because it is the stock ECU (and this becomes debatable with new technowlogies in piggybacks) the flash adapts to all the normal conditions like weather, altitude and etc. (yes JBx, and procede do this to a certain extent)

The best possible thing you can do for yourself is to get a dyno tune with something like the cobb. The tune is made specifically for your car and it's engine, not everyone's cars. So, they can pull a little more power and do it safely as a result.

One more thing to note is that piggybacks can sometimes be detectable for when they take over the engine parameters. this usually happens at low enough RPM that most people won't notice. Also newer technology makes this less noticeable. But it is something that i feel sometimes on the JB3. But i don't really care, but i do plan to upgrade to a flash at some point in the future (Need to get my new car first )
Thanks for the insight, I'm leaning towards a flash mod like the COBB AP I just wish there was a little more info on there BMW specific product. Seems like subaru owners really had very little complaints about it. To me it seems like it really is worth the extra money, and something you can take off if I need to. I also like the idea of being able to create a custom map after installing additional mods like a exhaust, intake and intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #417
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Attack! View Post
Thanks for the insight, I'm leaning towards a flash mod like the COBB AP I just wish there was a little more info on there BMW specific product. Seems like subaru owners really had very little complaints about it. To me it seems like it really is worth the extra money, and something you can take off if I need to. I also like the idea of being able to create a custom map after installing additional mods like a exhaust, intake and intercooler.
I went the route of ECUteck on my subaru. But i fully custom tuned for my car. There was too much money put into it just to risk a generic tune.

It's definitely a route i would go again without looking back. And the COBB is way more advanced then it was back in the days that i was doing my subaru, so it's nice to see how it's progressed.

I'll likely do the COBB as it's got the track record with other car brands, and will do a dyno tune on it one day. But seeing as how it just came out for our cars, I might wait a short time to see what other maps they come up with (like valet)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #418
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
here's my position on cobb (take it as just my opinion):

they have some catch-up to do before i'll consider trying the accessport out. by catchup, i mean the features need to be better developed and the support for catless downpipes, meth, etc needs to be offered.

built-in downpipe fix, dash gauge integration, plus autotuning make the current tune landscape more favorable for the piggybacks, in my opinion and for my setup.

that being said, i believe cobb will make substantial stake in the n54/n55 market because most bmw owners do the basic tune/intake, maybe exhaust and call it a day.

once cobb releases stage II and beyond, i'll look into purchasing an accessport.

another route that i've considered (now that i'm out of warranty) is to let my local race shop dyno tune my car. they have the flashing capability to where the accessport wouldn't be required. the only downside here is that it's a service; you can't re-sell the tune.

cheers
Appreciate 0