BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
EVBIMMER
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Comfort Access Fuse

Hello everyone, new member here. I bought an 08 135i Convertible a few weeks ago and so far love it!

I've been trying to diagnose an issue with the CA system in this car but I don't know which fuse is the one that feeds the CA module (it doesn't help that the fuse diagram is also missing...). Does anyone know which fuse to check?

Thanks!
Ben in SC
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Have you changed the battery in the remote? When they get weak, CA does not work very well or at all...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #3
EVBIMMER
Rep

I tried that.

I also checked the CA GO module in the trunk to make sure it was dry, no signs of ever getting wet.

The car just doesn't sense the FOB, either inside or outside of the car. If I press the start button twice I get the key symbol with a slash through it. If I hold the fob close, but not inserted into the slot, a key symbol is displayed but it still doesn't start.

Obviously the door handles and trunk do not work either.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670441

Name:  Fusebox_135i.jpg
Views: 20742
Size:  67.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
EVBIMMER
Rep

Dackelone, thanks, I have that diagram from that same post, (I've been searching this for a while). Not knowing which symbol is for CA I checked all of the fuses that seemed to make sense like the door/key and seat symbols.

I seem to remember that diagram not being an exact match for my 2008.

Thanks,
Ben in SC
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVBIMMER View Post
Dackelone, thanks, I have that diagram from that same post, (I've been searching this for a while). Not knowing which symbol is for CA I checked all of the fuses that seemed to make sense like the door/key and seat symbols.

I seem to remember that diagram not being an exact match for my 2008.

Thanks,
Ben in SC
You can order the fuse card from a dealer.

CA & door locks is the 2nd box, top left. Fuses: #61, #72, #73, #79

How do you know your car has CA ? Maybe it doesn't? You could use a VIN decoder to check for factory options.

Here's a quick easy way to tell by the key fobs...
Name:  key fob  BMW_Comfort_Access_Key.jpg
Views: 10052
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  key fob  BMW_Comfort_Access_Key2.jpg
Views: 10009
Size:  61.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
EVBIMMER
Rep

I have the CA fob, my VIN shows the option and I have the CA module in the trunk as well as door handles with the lock 'ribs'.

It's looking more and more like I might have to make a trip to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The car would have come new with 2 Comfort Access keys; of course, car keys are often lost by the time cars are bought by later purchasers as used cars. Do you have the other key? If so, does the other key work?

There are electronics in these keys and they can obviously be damaged by trauma, or simply cease to function after a while, like any electronic gizmo.

Finally, if my recollection is correct, a given car can only recognize 2 CA keys. If for some reason your car was reprogrammed with another key, it may be that the programming for the key you are trying to use has been washed out of the system.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Quote:
I tried that.

I also checked the CA GO module in the trunk to make sure it was dry, no signs of ever getting wet.

The car just doesn't sense the FOB, either inside or outside of the car. If I press the start button twice I get the key symbol with a slash through it. If I hold the fob close, but not inserted into the slot, a key symbol is displayed but it still doesn't start.

Obviously the door handles and trunk do not work either.
I had the same problem when I bought my 135is. In fact, the guy I bought the car from was unaware that he had the comfort access since it had never worked for him. I took the car to the dealer, and they were able to fix it: it turns out, the FOB was incorrectly programmed. Might be worth a try!
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
EVBIMMER
Rep

DuckCoverRoll Do you remember if your top would go up and down (assuming you had a vert) when the CA key wasn't programmed properly?

Mine will go up/down via the key which seems to indicate the CA is operating at least partially. I think you're on to something so I'll make an appointment with the nearest dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Quote:
DuckCoverRoll Do you remember if your top would go up and down (assuming you had a vert) when the CA key wasn't programmed properly?

Mine will go up/down via the key which seems to indicate the CA is operating at least partially. I think you're on to something so I'll make an appointment with the nearest dealer.
Hi there - my car is not a vert, so I didn't have the same issue. Yeah, the dealer should be able to help you fairly quickly. I remember racking my brain trying to figure out what was going on, since the build sheet (looked it up using the BMW vin tool) clearly showed the comfort access feature. At first I thought perhaps the build sheet was incorrect - but I clearly have the correct FOBs as depicted by DackelOne's photo. The guy who I bought the car from was surprised that the car had keyless entry (he bought it used from a dealership, and the car was previously used internally by BMW corporate). I suspect when BMW sold the car to the previous owner, they delivered new FOBs but never programmed it for CA.

I have to say, though, that the keyless features are a little buggy (most of the times, it works flawlessly, but other times it doesn't work at all). The keyless feature of my Mazda CX5 works a whole lot better!
Appreciate 0