BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
grunt
new - but older than dirt
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs down hmmmm sad paint quality control

Still happily waiting for my new toy - but an experience had by my mate this week has me somewhat toe-ee.

He got a call from the local bmw dealer - his 1 series was ready ...but.... please come look at it.

Seems it was one of a batch of twelve just arrived off the boat that have paint issues. according to the dealer his was the best of the shipment. His car noticeably has variations in the paint shades - the bumpers compared to the body especially. The dealer has offered a complete respray with a lifetime paint warranty - or another 4 month wait .... he's in a quandry atm ... I would be too. I wonder if 11 others got the bad news this week also

cheers
grunt
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
2bob
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW white135

Which boat?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
imported_pacman
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey Grunt,

What color did he have? Were all 11 the same color or various? And the big Question is Which Dealer?? I have a 120i Sapphire Black vert on the Mignon due 14th Oct into Brisbane.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
grunt
new - but older than dirt
Rep
Drives:

I'll find out more details over the weekend. I've been in Sydney this week. This is what my wife was told over dinner last night with our friends. All she told me was a southern boat.

I would have thought some would come in via brissie myself.

His was/is one of the silver options - not sure which.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Was it the Trinidad? Mine was on there and arrived in Brisbane on the 17th September. I am going to collect it next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
cyberbro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post
Still happily waiting for my new toy - but an experience had by my mate this week has me somewhat toe-ee.

He got a call from the local bmw dealer - his 1 series was ready ...but.... please come look at it.

Seems it was one of a batch of twelve just arrived off the boat that have paint issues. according to the dealer his was the best of the shipment. His car noticeably has variations in the paint shades - the bumpers compared to the body especially. The dealer has offered a complete respray with a lifetime paint warranty - or another 4 month wait .... he's in a quandry atm ... I would be too. I wonder if 11 others got the bad news this week also

cheers
grunt

At least they told him and gave him the option.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

If it were me, I'd chose to take another 4 month wait! A respray would never be as good as a factory finish.
      09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
If it were me, I'd chose to take another 4 month wait! A respray would never be as good as a factory finish.
If you wanted to re-option you could also take the opportunity to do that too.

Four months is a bit to suck up though... tough call mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Jaymz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Coming soon; E39M5 powered E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt View Post

cheers
grunt

I would take the respray anyday. The factory finish is good but every new BMW i've seen has orange peel.

I'm actually going to look into getting someone to cut it right back to get the orange peel out of it then lay over several coats of clear for that showcar glassy finish.

No matter how much you detail a new BMW you will never have that glassy finish, they simply have too much paint on for that.

Tell him to go the respray:thumbup:
      09-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Any news on which ship it was?

Respray could potentially devalue the car and affect future resale if it isnt done perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
earlyMLC
Private
Rep
Drives:

AlexT. My 135i SGM vert was on the Trinidad and has arrived in good nick. I've driven it the last 12 hours (no sleep,...) and my inspection in full sun today shows no obvious flaws.

This thing is just SO MUCH FUN. I am really happy I bought this one. A guy that I work with has a 2002 M3 is seriously thinking about getting one. I will post pictures soon.

BTW is there anyone else out there with a 135i SGM vert in Australia? Interested to know how many we are as the colour is now off production.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:06 AM   #12
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

EarlyMLC: thanks for that information! That is relieving to hear. I am glad you are enjoying the vert...hehehe...I can't wait!
Appreciate 0