BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2024, 12:09 PM   #1
Finneganistan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135Is

Did I just bend a wheel?

I hit a pothole, missing chunk of highway, last night at around 70mph. Sounded horrible! But the tire didn't blow, and I didn't notice any strange behavior or sounds afterwards.

How can I check to see if I did any damage to the suspension or wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Suspension - any change in alignment & driving in a straight line, or a new feeling of it being tail happy, any noises, that corner of the car seeming to be lower than the other side, any new liquids if you can see from underneath.

Wheel & Tire - any bubbles in the sidewall, and thumpy noises when driving, check the lip of the wheel all the way around on both sides for any dents or cracks.
Appreciate 1
mkeiser434.00
      02-07-2024, 06:20 PM   #3
mizzourahslim
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Without a radar detector.

Garage List
[QUOTE=tracer bullet;30884185]Suspension - any change in alignment & driving in a straight line, or a new feeling of it being tail happy, any noises, that corner of the car seeming to be lower than the other side, any new liquids if you can see from underneath.

Wheel & Tire - any bubbles in the sidewall, and thumpy noises when driving, check the lip of the wheel all the way around on both sides for any dents or cracks.

Agreed and I may add to have an alignment done to be sure.
I just bought 4 new tires for my wife’s car after she blew out the inside front passenger side. The other 3 still had decent tread.
I speculate that she hit a pothole and tweaked the alignment of that wheel, not enough to notice in the steering / tracking, but enough to wear the outer edges through the steel fibers to the point of blow out.
According to her, she is fairly in tune with the car and would have noticed if it tracked odd or drove funny.😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 1