BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Battery registration problems

In 2017 I replaced the original battery with a Bosch 70 Ah AGM. At the time, I performed the registration successfully using Carly app.

But starting about two years ago, the battery started having troubles: I would lose the clock and partial odometer overnight. However, no problem starting the car and even leaving idle for 2-3 weeks with no issue. (One side effect of this is that the OBD monitors reset as well, so I failed the latest smog check. Had to redo the drive cycle. But that's another story).

Finally I decided to get a new battery: 95 Ah AGM autozone duralast platinum.
I tried to register it, but now the registration does not work with Carly. It goes through the motions, but at the end it tells me that registration was not successful. The whole communication is very flaky. When I try to read the battery data, it mostly does not work.

Then I learned from the developer of carscanner that the cheap WiFi OBD2 adapter I am using isn't good. I have ordered a new, Bluetooth LE 4.0 one, it will arrive Friday.

I am wondering what would happen if I don't complete the registration.
Appreciate 0