BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

135i Advice Needed Please...

Hello--I am new to the site and was hoping for some advice, looks like there is some great information here. I have a 2008 135i and it is currently completely stock.

There is a Turbo Tuner from 'Split Second' being sold on Amazon.com for $599. Says it will add 40hp just by plugging it in; can anyone verify this? Is it safe? Anyone know how this works?

Though the car is plenty fast; I have heard that stock, the psi of the turbo's are 8.8 and can safely operate at 13--true? Anyone know if this Turbo Tuner will increase the p.s.i.? And to what? Doesn't seem to indicate on the website.

Also, any better alternatives to a cold air intake? I have seen a few pics of some on the site. They don't seem like they would do the job; sucking the hot engine air right off the top. Plus, they don't look very good aesthetically pleasing either. Does an intake make much difference in performance? Does it make a better full-throttle sound?

A lot of questions; I know....

Look forward to reading the responses!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I will defer to other members far better prepared than me to address the technical side of your questions. However, always balance performance mods against the possible downside of voiding your BMW warranty. E.G., Dinan chip installations will void your BMW warranty, but the upside is Dinan offers a warranty of their own that keeps you covered, so you are relatively safe. Very few aftermarket mods that void the factory warranty provide the safety net that Dinan does. Also... bear in mind that certain aftermarket mods will prevent your car from qualifying as a Certified Pre-Owned if/when you decide to trade it in. Just a few things to keep in the back of your mind. Otherwise, full speed ahead!

On a semi-related topic, have you considered BMW's own Performance Exhaust? I have it on mine, enjoy a terrific throaty growl, and a nice HP boost (+12). Granted, this does not give you +40, but it is dealer-installed and as such it doesn't affect your factory warranty. Just a thought.

Either way, congrats on your 1! I'm absolutely certain you will enjoy the new car very, very much. And, if I may say, you've come to the right place here. 1Addicts is a terrific resource; lots of great info and super-good folks. Welcome!
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The turbo tuner is a solid setup if you want an easy to install plug and play setup. The only disadvantage is that it's rather limited in the amount of power it can produce because it is a piggy back unit. With that said, the ease of installation far surpasses many of the other kits on the market and makes it easily reversible in case you need to revert back to stock.

Another option is the Active Autowerke Processor which is a bit more involved as far as installation but offers you the flexibility of uploading new maps to the system based on your modifications. Active regularly releases new and updated maps so if you are running downpipes, an exhaust and race fuel...you can pick a map that suits that. We have this on our E92 and I prefer it over the others due to this flexibility in tuning the car.

As for a cold air intake, I recommend installing one to free up flow from the factory restrictive airbox. You can really take advantage of the intake system by installing a set of scoops at the front of the car to better manage air flow into the inlet and maximize cooling of the filter element.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The turbo tuner is a solid setup if you want an easy to install plug and play setup. The only disadvantage is that it's rather limited in the amount of power it can produce because it is a piggy back unit. With that said, the ease of installation far surpasses many of the other kits on the market and makes it easily reversible in case you need to revert back to stock.

Another option is the Active Autowerke Processor which is a bit more involved as far as installation but offers you the flexibility of uploading new maps to the system based on your modifications. Active regularly releases new and updated maps so if you are running downpipes, an exhaust and race fuel...you can pick a map that suits that. We have this on our E92 and I prefer it over the others due to this flexibility in tuning the car.

As for a cold air intake, I recommend installing one to free up flow from the factory restrictive airbox. You can really take advantage of the intake system by installing a set of scoops at the front of the car to better manage air flow into the inlet and maximize cooling of the filter element.
Thanks for the feedback--regarding the cold air intake; what are the benefits to 135i to have this? Does it add HP? Does it make the engine sound more aggressive during WOT?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
I will defer to other members far better prepared than me to address the technical side of your questions. However, always balance performance mods against the possible downside of voiding your BMW warranty. E.G., Dinan chip installations will void your BMW warranty, but the upside is Dinan offers a warranty of their own that keeps you covered, so you are relatively safe. Very few aftermarket mods that void the factory warranty provide the safety net that Dinan does. Also... bear in mind that certain aftermarket mods will prevent your car from qualifying as a Certified Pre-Owned if/when you decide to trade it in. Just a few things to keep in the back of your mind. Otherwise, full speed ahead!

On a semi-related topic, have you considered BMW's own Performance Exhaust? I have it on mine, enjoy a terrific throaty growl, and a nice HP boost (+12). Granted, this does not give you +40, but it is dealer-installed and as such it doesn't affect your factory warranty. Just a thought.

Either way, congrats on your 1! I'm absolutely certain you will enjoy the new car very, very much. And, if I may say, you've come to the right place here. 1Addicts is a terrific resource; lots of great info and super-good folks. Welcome!
Thanks for the feedback. Is your exhaust featured on YouTube? I would like to hear the difference in sound. What is the brand and can you share with me the cost + install?

Thanks for the kind words--the car is awsome, best I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
ktdw
BMWCCA #401908
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Thanks for the feedback--regarding the cold air intake; what are the benefits to 135i to have this? Does it add HP? Does it make the engine sound more aggressive during WOT?
If you are going with SSTT, you really don't need an aftermarket intake (unless you are going for sound/look)

There really is no true CAI on the market for the 135.

Vishnu PROcede v3, Vishnu Dual Cone Intake, Code3 FMIC, Riss Racing Downpipes, Riss Racing Exhaust, H&R Sport Springs
Best 1/4 mile: 12.583 @ 117.609 mph
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Is your exhaust featured on YouTube? I would like to hear the difference in sound. What is the brand and can you share with me the cost + install?

Thanks for the kind words--the car is awsome, best I have ever owned.
It's not OEM or aftermarket. It's BMW's own Performance Exhaust. Was installed by dealer when they made my one-off. Costs of install should be posted on your dealer's web site.

There are a few YouTube videos of the 135i with "performance exhaust" components installed, but many of these are aftermarket installations, not BMW's own. However, I found one good link to a side-by-side comparison of two 135s; one with stock exhaust and one with BMW Performance Exhaust installed...

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/05/30...mance-exhaust/

If the link above is truncated, use the ******* version below...

http://************/686gze

Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck with your new 1.
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

cold start video of bmw performance exhaust on my car...

dan at gwinnet bmw in ga got me my exhaust rather cheap and payed a reputable exhaust guy to install for 50bucks or so.

on very rare occasion I am left wishing its a tad louder, but all the rest of the time, it sounds fantastic. I cant really explain it other than its got a bit of an exotic note.

Its one of those exhausts thats definately audible, but absolutely no drone, and can be driven quitely. I give it 5 stars
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
However, always balance performance mods against the possible downside of voiding your BMW warranty.
+1
I didn't buy brand new car just to void the warranty.

In regards to the BMW Performance Exhaust Kit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
I cant really explain it other than its got a bit of an exotic note.

I give it 5 stars
+1
Out of all the products offered in the accessory book and "Build Your Own," this was numero uno on my list.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
I cant really explain it other than its got a bit of an exotic note.
"Exotic note" is exactly the phrase!!! Couldn't put it any better.

My dealer described it as being "just right; not too much of one thing or too little of another." I reckon it's kind of like describing Sweet and Sour Sauce to someone who's never eaten Chinese food; you just gotta experience it to know.
===============
===============

Appreciate 0