BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Mr Aryan
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

135 oil cooler suggestion

Planning for it, what do you suggest and wants the price of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
CoolToolGuy
1er Happy Camper!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i,'07 X3

dinan. Not the cheapest ($1350), but it comes complete with ductwork and a warranty.

Have Fun,
Rick
2009 135i (E82) Space Gray; Gray Leather; Steptronic w/paddles; Premium; Sport; CA - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU; Cold Air Intake; Oil Cooler; Susp. bushings; Strut Brace. - BMWPerf: Suspension; rotors front & rear; exhaust; grilles; sideskirts; trunk spoiler. BMW 261M wheels w/Sumitomo HTR ZIII. - Quaife: LSD. - Custom Graphics.
2007 X3 - 2002 Pontiac Montana
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

A Cheaper alternative...

http://www.vkmotorwerks.com/oilcoolerupgardekit.html
The V K Motorwerks oil cooler ( The upgrade kit mounts to your OEM mounting locations ).
For sale for a limited time only $695 according to their site.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
anyone running dual oil coolers? hks was suppose to come out with something but no response from them yet
the new look: Widebody 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7686798
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The guys at Evolotion Racewerks do :
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/ga..._N54_FMIC6.jpg
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

what exactly is the purpose of an oil cooler?
      10-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
what exactly is the purpose of an oil cooler?
To cool the oil! I kid I kid....

The 135/335/535 run EXTREMELY hot from the factory. Even a 100% stock car will see dangerous oil temps during hard track driving. For those of you who just daily drive these cars the OEM oil cooler is adequate.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
To cool the oil! I kid I kid....

The 135/335/535 run EXTREMELY hot from the factory. Even a 100% stock car will see dangerous oil temps during hard track driving. For those of you who just daily drive these cars the OEM oil cooler is adequate.
hmm....i havent seen my oil get hotter than it normally runs on brutal track days and auto x. hmm, maybe something to invest in if i start doing this all the time..
      10-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Mr Aryan
Private
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettafanatic View Post
http://www.vkmotorwerks.com/oilcoolerupgardekit.html
The V K Motorwerks oil cooler ( The upgrade kit mounts to your OEM mounting locations ).
For sale for a limited time only $695 according to their site.
isn't that for 335 only?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #10
brracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 135i, Mini Cooper S -

I can attest...before we did engine upgrades, we had no problem w just the OEM oil cooler solution. But, add some power...and oops....limp mode can be found. We had it appear again, and we tracked the oil temperature, and as soon as it crossed the 275 F degree thresshold, we could feel the DME start to alter the characteristics of the motor, and by 300F, limp mode could be induced.
Add cooling (a lot if you are going to do track duty and w added power), and you are fine. But, see the new BMW performance cooling upgrade..BMW has found that the water temps are an issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brracing View Post
I can attest...before we did engine upgrades, we had no problem w just the OEM oil cooler solution. But, add some power...and oops....limp mode can be found. We had it appear again, and we tracked the oil temperature, and as soon as it crossed the 275 F degree thresshold, we could feel the DME start to alter the characteristics of the motor, and by 300F, limp mode could be induced.
Add cooling (a lot if you are going to do track duty and w added power), and you are fine. But, see the new BMW performance cooling upgrade..BMW has found that the water temps are an issue as well.
yeah, how much power were you at before you started noticing these problems?
      10-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
does anyone know who makes there oil cooler? or where could i get the one that evolutionraceworks is using
the new look: Widebody 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...98#post7686798
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchableE82 View Post
does anyone know who makes there oil cooler? or where could i get the one that evolutionraceworks is using
Nope, but I am sure if you ask them, they will tell you...

Also , the 335 Version shuold fit our cars as well. Call VK to verify

"i havent seen my oil get hotter than it normally runs on brutal track days and auto X"
When you got (like some of us in So-cal) in 110 F weather in the Desert (I.e. Willow Springs / Buttonwillow ) the oil temp will rise pretty quick esp. if you go all out ( and I mean ALL-out) 20 mins in a row....

"yeah, how much power were you at before you started noticing these problems"

From talking to one Tuner, even at not much over stock, in our weather, oil temps were rising quick...

Which is why I am looking at a dual set-up.

You could do it yourself with a nice pair of Setrabs....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
Jayock
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
BMW has found that the water temps are an issue as well.
True... A couple of people are working on bigger radiators too.

However, lowering oil temp will also lower engine temp, which will also lower water temp. The reverse would work as too. The only question is "will it lower it enough just changing out one?"

If the car is getting just a little too hot on both, one could definitely suffice.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Mr Aryan
Private
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettafanatic View Post
Also , the 335 Version shuold fit our cars as well. Call VK to verify
i checked with them, it doesn't fit the 135.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #16
Mr Aryan
Private
Bahrain
Rep

btw, does the 135 comes with standered oil cooler!?!?!
today i thought of looking through the bumper and found out a hole, and a cooler!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

All 135's have oil cooler standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
On a hard track day in the texas heat, my oil temps will get to about 280. How concerned should I be running at those temps for extended periods - say 15 minutes? My assumption is the computer is designed to reduce risk by inducing limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
Mr Aryan
Private
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
On a hard track day in the texas heat, my oil temps will get to about 280. How concerned should I be running at those temps for extended periods - say 15 minutes? My assumption is the computer is designed to reduce risk by inducing limp mode.
mine gets that high in 10-15mins of hard daily driving...

affraid to track it...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
brracing
United_States
Rep

The question before was how much power did you have before you started to see the implications of moving to "limp" mode, or actually inducing it.
We are in CA, and have only seen the issues when tracking. But, I would be an idiot to drive anywhere on the street what we do on the track. We don't "mossy along" when on the track, we are pedal to the metal 100% of the time, so we are creating the worst scenarios', but at the same time, we are seeing speeds north of 140mph on the straights, so we are getting the greatest amount of convection cooling as is possible...and are still seeing the issue.
For those who have looked at their oil coolers, you can also see that flow thru the cooler has not been optimized...the cooler is there, it is shrouded to force the flow thru the cooler, and there is a vent, but the air has to do a lot of unnatural acts to get the cooling, and as a result, the full surface area is not being utilized effectively of the oil cooler.
Next...when we did increase the power, the more power upgrades you add, the more power you have, hence, simple rule of thermodynamics, the more heat you have to dissapate...meaning you're going to induce the scenarios when the high heat will cause a problem.
When we last drove at Thunderhill (a month ago now), the ambient temp was 100 degrees during the day. As soon as we saw 275 degrees on the oil temp, we could feel the engine electronics start to intervene and adjust timing to reduce power, and if we pushed beyond 300 degrees, limp mode could be induced.
Hope that helps....you need oil cooling and additional water cooling...lots of cooling.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
pkcormier
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The question before was how much power did you have before you started to see the implications of moving to "limp" mode, or actually inducing it.
We are in CA, and have only seen the issues when tracking. But, I would be an idiot to drive anywhere on the street what we do on the track. We don't "mossy along" when on the track, we are pedal to the metal 100% of the time, so we are creating the worst scenarios', but at the same time, we are seeing speeds north of 140mph on the straights, so we are getting the greatest amount of convection cooling as is possible...and are still seeing the issue.
For those who have looked at their oil coolers, you can also see that flow thru the cooler has not been optimized...the cooler is there, it is shrouded to force the flow thru the cooler, and there is a vent, but the air has to do a lot of unnatural acts to get the cooling, and as a result, the full surface area is not being utilized effectively of the oil cooler.
Next...when we did increase the power, the more power upgrades you add, the more power you have, hence, simple rule of thermodynamics, the more heat you have to dissapate...meaning you're going to induce the scenarios when the high heat will cause a problem.
When we last drove at Thunderhill (a month ago now), the ambient temp was 100 degrees during the day. As soon as we saw 275 degrees on the oil temp, we could feel the engine electronics start to intervene and adjust timing to reduce power, and if we pushed beyond 300 degrees, limp mode could be induced.
Hope that helps....you need oil cooling and additional water cooling...lots of cooling.
Would I be within the tolerances of the engine if I hovered around 280 oil temp, and driving like I stole it on the track? And using the recommended BMW synthetic oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
brracing
United_States
Rep

Cant' say for sure...we only know what we have seen.
We will be installing another data acq system for the next track session so that we can corelate the various data points...but, at the same time, we hope to not have the the hot temps, so we may not get to the threshold.
The good news is that if you get close to the threshold, the car will start to lose power, and you can just cool it for a little bit, and the car will come right back. It's only if you go over the cliff (greater than 300F) that you need to spell relief for the car for it to come back.
Appreciate 0