E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Annoying sound from driver's side door.. springy / ticking sound

06-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
leosong11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Annoying sound from driver's side door.. springy / ticking sound

I just noticed this today. My car has a little over 100 miles and there is an annoying vibrating sound coming from the driver side door. It sounds like something is loose. I can only hear it when I go over bumps and such. This is very dissapointing. What should I do? Will BMW service fix this for free?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
res_ipsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SparkGraphite

Yea don't worry about it too much. Just take it back and have them locate the sound and they'll fix it. They have no problems doing this, especially for a car that was just recently bought. Someone else here had a center console rattle and has taken it back multiple times and they've been accomodating so you'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
andrewlin
2006 E90 330im Sparking Graphite, Black Lthr, Aluminum, Sport, Premium, Manual
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

what sound do you hear?

I have a very very faint, springy, ting sound that inconsistently shows up. It's very hard to tell, but once you hear it, you can't stop noticing it.

I'll plan on bringing it up to the dealer next time I'm in, but probably won't make a special appt just for it...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 12:51 AM   #4
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

Don't you just hate these types of problems.....the dealers will probably take the cars for a test and bring it back saying they couldn't make the sound happen to them........ugggggggggggg!
      06-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlin
what sound do you hear?

I have a very very faint, springy, ting sound that inconsistently shows up. It's very hard to tell, but once you hear it, you can't stop noticing it.

I'll plan on bringing it up to the dealer next time I'm in, but probably won't make a special appt just for it...
That's exactly what I heard for the first 2 weeks.
Surprisingly, the springy, ting sound went away after 2 weeks... Mine came off from the driver's side seat belt spring, I guess.
      06-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

im having the seat belt button in my car replaced, have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
leosong11
Private
Rep

Quote:
what sound do you hear?

Yes, it is that sound. So it is the seat belt button that needs to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
The annoying sounds that I hear come from the back seat. The dealer is unable to do anything about them
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
The annoying sounds that I hear come from the back seat. The dealer is unable to do anything about them
Send them out to play in the traffic
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoo
the one from the back seat is from the cup holder. i got that one too, having that replaced as well... damn, im way ahead of you guys, u guys are slow... lol... jk

loose trim, seat belt button, rear cup holder, those are the things that i have found to rattle in my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #11
flyboy-sa
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330 ... almost

Hi Leosong,

I have/had the exact same noise you had, except mine was on front door. It sounded like something was sliding around in the door so I thought my friend left his cellular phone in that compartment in the door and it was sliding - but there was nothing. So I thought something in glove box fell to the back where the fuses are so I opened up the section to gain access to fuses and there was nothing. It just so happened that I was on my way to the dealer to book my car in for a rattle service (rattle above idrive, rattle in sunroof area) and then on way there that sound started. The sound in the door is from some kind of support strut and a bolt has come loose which is rolling around there. They had to order a new bolt from the factory.

Another problem I had - which is the main reason my car was at the dealer for 2 days - is I had "spots" on my windows which looked almost like fine sandblasting. I noticed it when I picked up my car when I bought it and thought it was Polish on the windshield but after 6 washes it did not come off. I emailed dealer about it. As it turns out, while my car was standing at the Rosslyn plant there was industrial pollution in the area which settled on the cars that were waiting to go out (this was in April). I even noticed that the paint was not entirely smooth so they polished the entire car and did something to the glass but now it is clean and paint is smooth .
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Quote:
what sound do you hear?

I have the exact same sound -- and although it's faint, it grates on my nerves quickly when I'm on the freeway (as the sound is most persistant when I'm going over 50mph)....

If anyone has (or will have) this fixed by the dealer, please give us an update on how it goes... I can't take it in for a couple weeks, but I'd love to hear if anyone else is successful in getting this fixed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
loremipsum
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yes Steply, exactly the sound get and also above 50mph. Glad to hear some others with the issue, as I thought was starting to go crazy.

So people think it's in the door? or the B pillar? Or, part of the seat belt mechanism?
      06-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
bimmer06
Rep
Drives:

I'm also experiencing the same problem. The best way to describe it is a ticking/creaking sound from the drivers side door. I thought it was coming from the seat belt assembly on the door. I called my local dealer and they mentioned they could insulate the assembly by adding additional washers. After trying to fix the problem with no success they decided to order a new seat belt assembly. After installing the new assembly they realized it wasn't the seat belt but the B-pillar. They made some adjustments to the b-pillar and the problem went away. Unfortunately, after one week the ticking sound is slowly coming back. I will drop off the car at the dealer this week to hopefully fix the problem once and for all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep

i wonder if all the cars w/ the rattling noise(s) came from the same assembly line?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer06
I'm also experiencing the same problem. The best way to describe it is a ticking/creaking sound from the drivers side door. I thought it was coming from the seat belt assembly on the door. I called my local dealer and they mentioned they could insulate the assembly by adding additional washers. After trying to fix the problem with no success they decided to order a new seat belt assembly. After installing the new assembly they realized it wasn't the seat belt but the B-pillar. They made some adjustments to the b-pillar and the problem went away. Unfortunately, after one week the ticking sound is slowly coming back. I will drop off the car at the dealer this week to hopefully fix the problem once and for all.
Yeah, I tried to isolate the sound -- kinda hard to do when I put my ear against the door while driving 70 mph... Anyway, I havent been able to totally isolate the sound, but I did notice that the sound gets worse if I push my left leg against the door's armrest....

I think I'm just going to live with the sound for now, but if it gets worse, (or if I take my car in for another reason) I'll have them look at it...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #17
leosong11
Private
Rep

For me the sound went away.. but it'll probably come back and when it does I am going straight to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I sometimes have an annoying sound coming from the passenger seat. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm alone in the car though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #19
medicus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d SE

I have an intermittent rattle from the passenger side centre air vent. Very annoying when it happens. Havn't had the time to take it to the dealers yet.
      06-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
rad21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I sometimes have an annoying sound coming from the passenger seat. Doesn't seem to happen when I'm alone in the car though.

I love it
      07-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #21
bimmer06
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer06

Well, I dropped my car off at the dealer today. They still can't pin point the cause of the problem. They are now going back to the seat belt assembly and not the b-pillar. They ordered another seat assembly, which should be in by Wednesday. I'm not feeling very confident the problem is going to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #22
gstvsn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325, Jet Black

I had a sound from the front left door. What I found is that it was not the door at all. It was the plastic strip that lays where the rug meets the door jam. Mine was lose. Just pushed it down and it popped back in. No more rattle.
Appreciate 0