BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Thinking about a road trip...

The family is driving from PA to Washington State in June - the current plan is to cram the four of us in my wife's Santa Fe and hit the road.

I'm tempted to spend extra and drive the 128 out too - more room for everyone and I get to drive the 128 across the country and back, putting 6K or so on it. It has 20K now. Commuting I do 12-15K/yr. Downside is a 4 year old and a dog in the car with me, in the backseat. I keep my car as pristine as possible and I'm afraid it might never recover...but...

I'm in my 50s and won't have this chance again, as we are relocating there next year (my wife is from there) and we'll likely have the cars on trailers as we plan to drive ourselves out there with all our crap. We did this once before, with me in my MINI Clubman. The time went a lot faster. So...

Go for it or leave the 128 in the garage? Any special prep I should do to make the trip more fun if I do decide to take the car? I have only had it 2-3 months (CPO)... if I have an issue enroute, will the local dealer honor the warranty/roadside assistance? Will the warranty as such be stored in the keyfob or do I not have to worry about it because the inservice date is 6/15/09? I guess in a nutshell, is the car covered under the exact same warranty as it would be if I were the original owner or is the warranty lessened because I am not the original owner AND/OR because the factory warranty has been superseded by the CPO warranty? I have reviewed the paperwork and have been unable to gain clarity.

If someone can advise me I would be very appreciative.

-2009 128i
-17K miles at purchase end of February; 20K now
-Purchased under CPO program; service date 6/15/09 warranty expires 6/15/15 or 100K miles (?)
-Problems: Radio in the heat; tires were mismatched on delivery.
      05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
The warranty applies to any and all dealerships. If your car breaks down under warranty and you have BMW assist, it is even transported to the local dealership via tow truck.

I am not the original owner of my car, as such I had to provide documentation of ownership to my local dealership and they transferred BMW assist to me. But I do not remember if that was necessary for them to service the car.

If you are debating something you wont ever have a chance to do again, I would say (from my mid-20's vantage point ) that you should do it because otherwise you will end up regretting it. Do you use those backseats that often? How much does a spill or scratch to the back seat area bother you? Consider those first. That's what is going to make your decision. But in the end, it's just a car.

Freude am Fahren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
The family is driving from PA to Washington State in June - the current plan is to cram the four of us in my wife's Santa Fe and hit the road.

I'm tempted to spend extra and drive the 128 out too - more room for everyone and I get to drive the 128 across the country and back, putting 6K or so on it. It has 20K now. Commuting I do 12-15K/yr. Downside is a 4 year old and a dog in the car with me, in the backseat. I keep my car as pristine as possible and I'm afraid it might never recover...but...

I'm in my 50s and won't have this chance again, as we are relocating there next year (my wife is from there) and we'll likely have the cars on trailers as we plan to drive ourselves out there with all our crap. We did this once before, with me in my MINI Clubman. The time went a lot faster. So...

Go for it or leave the 128 in the garage? Any special prep I should do to make the trip more fun if I do decide to take the car? I have only had it 2-3 months (CPO)... if I have an issue enroute, will the local dealer honor the warranty/roadside assistance? Will the warranty as such be stored in the keyfob or do I not have to worry about it because the inservice date is 6/15/09? I guess in a nutshell, is the car covered under the exact same warranty as it would be if I were the original owner or is the warranty lessened because I am not the original owner AND/OR because the factory warranty has been superseded by the CPO warranty? I have reviewed the paperwork and have been unable to gain clarity.

If someone can advise me I would be very appreciative.

-2009 128i
-17K miles at purchase end of February; 20K now
-Purchased under CPO program; service date 6/15/09 warranty expires 6/15/15 or 100K miles (?)
-Problems: Radio in the heat; tires were mismatched on delivery.
Appreciate 0