BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
well I do appreciate the insight guys. I was hoping for a more positive environment....

I sold the Z, cause it was time - 39,000 miles on that Gem - it was literally nearly mint. I keep my cars meticulous.

This thread has me second guessing my choice to go with a 135i, but in all honesty what are my options?

m3 - platform doesnt do it for me. they look nice, but I didnt like the powerband, and the platform is expensive to mod - and tough to make fast.

can anyone confirm that the n55 cannot accommodate a BOV? are there tunes out for the n55? I hope so.
Looks like no BOV, but two meth bungsSorry, wrong link...damn iPad:

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/190

Maybe a used 2010 N54 would've better if you want a BOV. The N54 has more of a selection regarding tunes.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 04-16-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
nope, no story. see above. not many options out there.....

I got 30K on my 06 S/C'd C6. Im not even remotely close to getting rid of it, to each his own of course. I know many guys who need to 'move on' frequently. But I wont be surprised if you end up back with Corvette. Good luck with the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
im confused also on the tune...

i come from a place where if you want it to run right - you need a dyno tune.

canned tunes are junk - every car/environment is different - are the juice box/procede etc all canned tunes? If so, how do you get them altered as you add mods?
You can customize your tune if need be with these but unlike alot of other tuner cars where there are a lot of different choices that vary in performance, most of the basic bolt ons produce similar results. Of course it's better to get your AFR and timing proper for your mods but most of the canned tunes are in the middle where a little more or less AFR isn't going to hurt and the timing is in a safe enough zone not to cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Welcome to the boards! I hope you enjoy your future 1er!

Quote:

I am ordering a 6MT - jet black ( was on the fence between jet vs sapphire - any reason to change?)

Jet black will look nicer when clean. BSM has little sparkly bits which keep it looking nice when the car is a little bit dirty or messed up, but it doesn't look as deep black as jet black when fully clean and nice. It depends on your preference. If you're the type of guy that washes the car every weekend, JB would be fine. If you don't have the time or the resolve, then BSM looks better most of the time.

Active Steering - yes or no?

I don't have it and I don't miss it.

Performance Suspension - opted for no, because I will be installing lowering springs or coils

Good choice. I'd say coils over lowering springs.
  • Lower Ride Height - what is needed? will I rub?

All you really need is a set of coilovers or springs, but as I said coilovers will give you better performance and ride quality in most cases. As for what kind.. it really depends. If you're not really going to track the car, KW V1 are height adjustable only, but pre-set to be balanced between comfort, safety, and sportiness. I have ST coilovers, they are made by KW and are pretty much the exact same as KW V1, and I am very happy with them. If I went for KW V2 or something that is dampening adjustable, I don't think I would ever touch the setting, so these are fine for me. If you're looking for something that performs a little better, Ohlins, Bilstein, and AST make more expensive, sportier coilovers. There are cheaper systems out there, like from Meghan Racing, but those aren't very good compared to the brands listed above. Also, if you're used to the feel of the Z06, you will probably find the 135i to be very soft and not very precise. For that I'd recommend installing M3 parts, specifically front control arms for steering feel and turn response, a front anti-sway bar to stay flat in the corners, and rear subframe bushings to keep the car planted during acceleration. The stiffer coilovers will help keep the rest of the car stiffer, too. The suspension is overly soft because it is meant to dampen the stiffness of the stock run flat tires, and it kind of sucks.

• wheels - like ccw classics, bbs lm's, some strasse I am looking at...are spacers needed? i want them to slightly pop.

A lot of the nicer wheels are hard to come by. You can always get custom wheels like DPEs or HREs that are tailor made for your car and they don't release the offsets.. but since the 1 series has such weird offsets and a very limited selection of sizes that fit us, we have lots of sets of wheels in the $1200-1500 range and below, and not very much in the higher end of things. If you're looking for higher end wheels, I would get in touch with wheelsto, you can contact them here on the forum or go to wheelsto.com. If you're looking for wheels in the price range above, Breyton, Forgestar, and Alufelgen are in that range, with VMR wheels being slightly below a grand for a set. They're all good quality wheels, but nothing too crazy.

As for the spacers, rubbing concerns, etc. look around the wheels/tires subforum to get a feel of what can fit and what can't with/without fender rolling and camber adjustment. I have F: 19 x 8.5 ET 35 and rear 19 x 9.5 ET 45 with 215/35 in front and 235/30 in back, slightly lowered no camber plates or spacers, a little less than -2 degrees camber on stock equipment all around, and I don't rub, but I don't have much room for bigger tires or lowering. I also poke very very slightly. I was lowered much more before and I rubbed pretty terribly up front so I had to raise it.

• quad exhaust - love it - what do I need other than a diffuser (want carbon) and whats the best source for quads? are their downsides to running this setup power wise?

No real downside power-wise, the only thing is that quad exhausts obviously weigh more. They look great though! There's a few options for quad exhausts, and some various diffusers available..

Hartge: http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_auspuff_4915.html
    Remus: http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/prod...m/default.aspx
    3D Design: http://www.3ddesign.jp/english/pro_e...101-18212E.htm
    (with rear diffuser): http://www.3ddesign.jp/english/product_aero_E82.htm
    Eisenmann: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631340

• front lip - I love jzhangs, but I guess that was custom??? I dont really know for sure - but it seems like its a 3d design / LTBMW collab?

Not sure about JZ's front spoiler, but I see a few that resemble it. This page has quite a list of different companies and the various exterior / body parts they produce:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/b...&c9=5553&r=422

There are a few lip spoilers on there.

• Tune - Want POWER that is streetable, but safe - whats my best bet here

The big 3 are JB, Procede, and Cobb. JB and Procede are chips, and offer a lot of functionality. You have to plug them into the ECU yourself though, which is why many people go with Cobb. I have had a JB2, JB+, and now a JB4 and I loved them all. The chips (JB and Procede) aren't really "canned tunes".. they've been around the longest out of any of the tunes out there, and have many options that even complete reflashes like Cobb and GIAC do not. I especially like the steering wheel controls I get with the JB4, and the gauge hijacking so I can't have my fuel gauge double as a boost meter and my Oil temp gauge tell me my IAT . However, you can't really go wrong with any tune, they all have their benefits and their weaker points. If you post a thread on here "JB vs Cobb vs Procede" etc, though, you'll likely get a bad response because the topic has kind of been beaten to death. Just do a search and you'll find lots of info.

• Kidneys - Best place to get semi gloss/gloss black ones?

Anywhere but BMW! BMW will overcharge for them. Almost ANY reputable shop will have them. Vivid Racing, J Levi SW, Mod Bargans, JBSPEED, are all here on the forum (you can PM them and usually get a better price than on the website!).

• love the sound of BOV's - is there a BOV i can purchase that awakens the sound of the turbo?

Yes, there's a few options. Most people go with either
    Stett: http://www.shop.stettperformance.com...c?productId=10
    or Active Autowerke: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...i-p-59500.html

• front mount intercooler - how difficult are these to install

It really depends. There are quite a few intercoolers available for the 135i and some of them require little to no trimming of the plastic pieces inside of the bumper at all, while others require some extensive cutting and squeezing. There are lots of options, and I have honestly seen people happy with every single one. From what I recall, the ETS one doesn't require any cutting, but the HPF and Helix ones are two of the most popular ones. But like I said, you're better off searching on the forums because there are lots of options.

• short shifter - brand? I like the OEM BMW performance manual shifter

I'd go with the OEM BMW one, both because I hear it's great, and because you won't run into warranty issues if you do that.

• side skirts? choices?

There's pretty much three choices. The OEM BMW Aero side skirts, Hartge Side Skirts, and Kerscher side skirts

• angel eyes - Can you order the car with them? what are the nicer ones? best place to get?

The 135i automatically comes with the amber/yellow looking angel eyes with Xenon headlights. You can replace them to get nicer white/blue lights. The popular options are:

LUX Leds - very white and even light distribution, but expensive and harder to see during the day than other options. Out of all the LED options these are the easiest to see during the day.

Alpine HID kit - I have this. VERY bright and easy to see during the day, less expensive than LUX, but the inner ring ends up slightly brighter and some people complain it's too bright. I like them though. They're a little more complicated to install because you have to hook them up to your battery terminals in engine bay. Come in any color you want, really, from yellow, to white, blue, and even purple.

BMS Leds - Cheaper than LUX and made by the same guys that make the JB chips, but I can't vouch for their brightness.

DEPO/SONAR/LS1 kits - Full replacement headlights. The best looking option because it allows the rings to be made nice and white/blue without worrying about anything else, but this is the most expensive.

• what other performance mods will support the tune/quad exhaust/ FMIC/BOV and bring about nice power?

Intakes are a matter of debate on the forum, but downpipes the biggest power adder after a tune. If you run a downpipe you will also be able to run a more aggressive tune than you would without them. Other than that, it's pretty much supporting mods. Methanol will add a lot of power, but it's up to you if you want to run it. It's much safer than something like nitrous and adds almost as much power. You just have to take it off every dealership visit and not get caught with it! JB4 and Procede both offer very safe integration with methanol systems.

• Spoiler/Trunk - love the rounded trunk look - source? brand?

The BMW performance one is a ripoff. You'll do great with any brand except some crap off eBay.

• 1M side view mirrors - how difficult are these to source/install? like jzhang had....

Not sure about install difficulty (can't be THAT bad, though, right?), but you can get them from Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com) or Dan@UnitedBMW here on the forums.

Thanks gents. I look forward to making this little thing haul some major ass, and look good doing it. Given this is my first European car, I will need help

I hope I helped a little bit at least! Enjoy your future ride, and again, welcome to the forums! Some people here are more helpful than others (as you can already see), but we all share the same love of cars so don't be afraid to ask anything (just use the "search" first if you're unsure if a topic has been beaten to death, though)

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

We offer the LUX H8 V3 angel eyes, and feel free to send me a PM or e-mail if you have any questions regarding them
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

OP: Don't sweat it. I own a Zed and am considering trading my C Class Benz for a 135i.

We all have our reasons why we do things. I need a small/short/narrow DD, and my 4 door sedan takes up too much space in my garage. I have two bikes that I'm tired of jockying around the garage. Time for a smaller DD.

I get it... Did you ever consider the 335is? Give it a look. It would have been my first choice; however, it's too wide and too long, considering I want to down size in length/width, to gain more garage space...

BTW: I love the Zed!

GL,

Cheers,

BB
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYearsBoy View Post
Personally I would have stuck with the Z.. Thats a Nice ride.
+1

No amount of mods will make a 135i perform like that Z06, why the change??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
Zoraster
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E82, E90

This guy is not looking to justify and explain his decisions, he's looking to make his new vehicle "bad ass." Help him or click on something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Here is my opinion/help.

For performance I highly suggest getting the JB4, BMS downpipes, BMS intake and meth kit, helix IC and an aftermarket chargepipe. Terry is a stand up guy and will always try to help you, Terry is the owner of BMS (burger motorsports). Their forums are n54tech.com and they are more performance based than these forums.

Some guy put down 385whp and 479rwtq with similar mods. You probably won't get much more out of the n55 yet. The n55 is still new so im sure they will eventually get over 400rwhp.

I myself came from a 500rwph+ fd rx7 and the power itself was a downgrade but I love my car. If I had 20k to spend on mods I would love it even more.

There is no blow off valve upgrade for the n55 but I have heard the intake has the same effect and there is videos to prove how loud it makes the diverter valve sound.

I personally would go for a C63 instead of a 135i though
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
tlee55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
This guy is not looking to justify and explain his decisions, he's looking to make his new vehicle "bad ass." Help him or click on something else.
This
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #33
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Oh yeah for tunes. You most likely wont get a "dyno tune" all the tunes come standard with maps, I wasn't used to it either because I always had my rx7 dyno tuned. Its actually pretty nice this way.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
Here is my opinion/help.

For performance I highly suggest getting the JB4, BMS downpipes, BMS intake and meth kit, helix IC and an aftermarket chargepipe. Terry is a stand up guy and will always try to help you, Terry is the owner of BMS (burger motorsports). Their forums are n54tech.com and they are more performance based than these forums.

Some guy put down 385whp and 479rwtq with similar mods. You probably won't get much more out of the n55 yet. The n55 is still new so im sure they will eventually get over 400rwhp.

I myself came from a 500rwph+ fd rx7 and the power itself was a downgrade but I love my car. If I had 20k to spend on mods I would love it even more.

There is no blow off valve upgrade for the n55 but I have heard the intake has the same effect and there is videos to prove how loud it makes the diverter valve sound.

I personally would go for a C63 instead of a 135i though

I think it would be helpful if the OP would define Badass. He set the bar high by evening mentioning the vette. If we could define some goals that are being looked for. What kind of driving conditions playing around on the street, strip, track, mountain runs or just cruising to the bar and picking up stuck up ho's with his new BMW etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #35
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
^ +1

OP, it sounds like you have good reasons for your decision so don't be swayed by any negative responses on here. I'm a new owner too so I don't have much to contribute in knowledge of our cars yet other than my opinion and support. Consider the fact that there hasn't been enough time for the 1 to come up with enough modifications, especially our N55, to wow and please everyone enough to have some faith in the future for our 1's, but there will be that time. Go ahead with doing what you can with what's available out there for now that you are interested in, I'm sure many of us on here will be interested to see, and enjoy it for what it is with it's unique platform and appeal. I mean, I know where you're coming from with letting something go that you put a lot of money and effort into it, and getting the attention for it, but the time came and so you just have to look at the bright side with how often do you see a 1 series compared to a vette or mustang. You see them everywhere almost every day. You can certainly get amazing power out of them but that's not everything believe me. I have autocrossed my 1 series last summer bone stock with better times over an owner with a 700 rwhp yellow z06. Every other turn that vette just wanted to slide out to the point of causing over-correction and he was losing so much time because of that. So I mean so much power has its limits. And how is it even worth at the end of the day when it's not that practical anymore. Being nimble and quick handling is much more advantageous in this day and age in getting around congested traffic, road obstacles, and basically just having pure fun in driving not to mention being unique. If one just wants to be a showoff, then none of that would really matter and jumping on the power bandwagon is an option and not being able to use one's vehicle to its true potential on a driving-basis as much as you can with a 1. It's one's own personal choice as you have made your decision and we all welcome you to the club. And most of all it's exciting to break free from the chain of what others say you can't do to this car when in reality with enough proper knowledge and experience, you WILL be able to get what you want out of it. Don't be discouraged with an N55 motor opposed to N54. Yeah the N54 is great as it's had more time on the road, but BMW have teams of Engineers for research and enough reason to change the setup over, which we will all eventually see. Regardless of either motor and whether it's a 135 or 1M, it is imho, one of the best all-around vehicles that you can buy on the market today. Guaranteed! Congrats on your order sir.
      04-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
well I do appreciate the insight guys. I was hoping for a more positive environment....

I sold the Z, cause it was time - 39,000 miles on that Gem - it was literally nearly mint. I keep my cars meticulous.

This thread has me second guessing my choice to go with a 135i, but in all honesty what are my options?

m3 - platform doesnt do it for me. they look nice, but I didnt like the powerband, and the platform is expensive to mod - and tough to make fast.

can anyone confirm that the n55 cannot accommodate a BOV? are there tunes out for the n55? I hope so.
People are simply posting their opinion and what their choice may have been, just as you made your choice.

The responses shouldn't be making you question your choice.
As I suggested already, go to the tuning area where there is a LOT of information on what you can do and what works.
There is no reason to second guess as your 135i can be easily modded.
I will say that some research before buying would have added to your decision without second guessing based on peoples comments and opinions.

Why do you want a BOV?
The N54 and N55 were designed for recirc not BOV.
The sound of a BOV is cool, but it doesn't add to badass performance.
It does give a badass sound though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

Your post offers nothing to the OP's question either.

Also, this is the general discussion section.
It's for general discussion just like the kind you're against.
So, you too can click on something else if it bothers you.
Specific questions are better handled and answered in the specific sections.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #38
EuroTunerz5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW BMW 135i M-Sport PPK

OP you don't need to justify your decision to anyone.... people thought i was nuts when i got rid of my last car after one year and 11k miles. I saw it as an opportunity to recover some of my cost and walk away with equity to move on to something else and experience something new!

I just picked up my 2012 N55 135i M-Sport PPK two weeks ago and LOVE it. The DCT is incredible on this car and having had other turbo cars I can say this car SOUNDS like it has a BOV from the factory though its just a wastegate. It has a clean release type sound to the turbo pressure and you will not be disappointed. I would focus on other mods.

Based on the style I see from your Z which is incredible I recommend some Alefugen SF-71 19's in black with coilovers.... Kerscher front lip and a BMWP rear lip spoiler. I also recommend one of the quad exhaust set ups and carbon rear diffusers.

Trust your instincts you know how to build a clean ride. Welcome!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

worst downgrade EVER
      05-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #40
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
worst downgrade EVER
Worst post EVER...

I drove the OP's vette. It makes a horrible daily driver and you have no clue as to what someone's motivation is for wanting a different vehicle. I'm sure a lot of people think what you drive is a downgrade from many cars on the road too. Get a life pal...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #41
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The selection of aftermarket wheels is really poor for the 135i. It needs high offsets around ET40 to ET50, sometimes even ET62 with 275 rear tires. Due to the high offsets, the wheels won't have much concavity, so they are unlikely to look badasss..

Also the 1 series tends to look quite high even when dropped. Its probably hard to make it look really dumped.

If you want to mod the car and make it look badass, then I recommend you get a 335i coupe instead. The 3 series car has a different feel and style, and actually handles better IMO. The weight of the two cars is also about the same within approx 50lb. Just something for you to consider..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Worst post EVER...

I drove the OP's vette. It makes a horrible daily driver and you have no clue as to what someone's motivation is for wanting a different vehicle. I'm sure a lot of people think what you drive is a downgrade from many cars on the road too. Get a life pal...
What exactly made it horrible as a daily driver? suspension (since the ride like a log wagon) or just to many mods to be streetable?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #43
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
OP, any updates? Change of heart?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #44
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusk View Post
What exactly made it horrible as a daily driver? suspension (since the ride like a log wagon) or just to many mods to be streetable?
Probably the fact that it was slammed damn near to the ground and an 1100 dollar CF front lip that if you didnt hold up traffic on every single incline while taking the car slowly at an angle would probably rip it off. Among other things. Its a two seater, so no go for family or friends and the reason why my friend who bought it from him realized and dumped it. It also was extremely load and although sounded tits attracted a lot of attention at just 3k RPM. I could list many more things but this car, esp in south florida, is a true weekend car. I would in no way hell drive it daily...
Appreciate 0