BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Too much wind

There is just way too much wind in the cabin when sun roof is open and even worse when windows are down. All of my previous cars that had sun/moon roof would let the air pass over, but the E82 deflector does nothing to stop that. Are there any options to minimize the wind in the cabin?
      05-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Giancarlo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135

Close the windows and sunroof?? just kidding, this is actually something that I like about the 135, it has a big sunroof and lets a lot of air in. Maybe getting one of those really ugly bubbles that attach before the opening of the sunroof could help.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

I like the big sunroof too. its almost like having a convertible when u have all windows open
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Well pull the deflector down once and see what happens. I did and the turbulence in the car in unbearable. So dunno about yours but mine works great. Coupes in general don't have the best air flow since you can just crack the rear windows to let air out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

It's tough with 2 windows and one sunroof. Is it the wind itself that's bothering you, or are you getting that awful buffeting? I never open my sunroof because whenever I do, I get the buffeting sound, but when it's just the windows, no matter how wide they're open/closed, it's not there. I dunno, I kind of wish I never had a sunroof. I never open it. I always keep the screen closed because the sun finds ways to get into my eyes through the roof. I just keep the windows open and it's not terribly loud like that. Once I even crack the sunroof though, I feel like I opened my window on a supersonic flight.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
It's tough with 2 windows and one sunroof. Is it the wind itself that's bothering you, or are you getting that awful buffeting? I never open my sunroof because whenever I do, I get the buffeting sound, but when it's just the windows, no matter how wide they're open/closed, it's not there. I dunno, I kind of wish I never had a sunroof. I never open it. I always keep the screen closed because the sun finds ways to get into my eyes through the roof. I just keep the windows open and it's not terribly loud like that. Once I even crack the sunroof though, I feel like I opened my window on a supersonic flight.
It is the wind that bothers me. I wish I could minimize it somewhat. the deflector does work, just not enough. I'd hate to get one of those ugly bubble deflectors
      05-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
When I first heard that buffeting sound I was WTF is that noise. It's pretty disappointing to be honest. My old GTI never had this problem and I could also tilt up at varying degrees and not just one fully open setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Wait, are you guys really complaining about buffeting with the sunroof open. This is the first car I've had in a long time that doesn't have a problem with buffeting when just the sunroof is open. My '08 R32 and '09 Jetta TDI were horrific and you could only open the sunroof partially. Anything more and the problem was so bad it actually hurt my ears. To open it all the way you had to also crack the windows. In the 1er, even at highway speeds, I have yet to experience any buffeting with just the sunroof open. Sure, it gets very noisy at speed, but other than the wind coming in, the crazy air pressure changes that cause the buffeting aren't present. This has actually been a quality I've admired in all recent BMWs; i.e., you can open the sunroofs all the way and not have a problem with buffeting.
      05-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
AlBinVA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135 vert

I had a similar problem with a previous car (Audi)

I played with the amount of opening of the roof. I found that 3/4 open did away with the turbulence.

Al
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

My e36 coupe had the pop out rear windows. Those were perfect for directing air flow.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
My e36 coupe had the pop out rear windows. Those were perfect for directing air flow.
Oh yeah so did the E46 coupe, it had power operated ones. So cool!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonV View Post
What I really miss are the little triangle vent windows. They were the best thing ever. You could turn them around and really get some airflow going, or use the venturi effect to pull air out of the car. I wish they still had those.
      05-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
There is just way too much wind in the cabin when sun roof is open and even worse when windows are down. All of my previous cars that had sun/moon roof would let the air pass over, but the E82 deflector does nothing to stop that. Are there any options to minimize the wind in the cabin?
I haven't this to be a big issue in my 135i.
As others mentioned, sometimes it depends on which way the cross wind is coming, as at times it seems more air and others less.
If it gets to be too much, I also crack open either my window or the passenger window a bit and it works well.

The deflector does work. If you open the rood and then pull down on the deflector at speed, you'll notice big time buffeting.

When I use my sunroof I usually also have my drivers window open all the way, so I never mind it as I like having the air going through the cabin. I just turn the audio up louder and drive faster.

In sedans I've had I open a rear window to reduce buffeting as it can get bad in a sedan with just the sunroof open.
If you don't want added air flow, why open the sunroof or a window in the first place?
I know you're saying it's too much air for you, but there may be no fix for that other than one of those big bubbles on the roof. BTW, I don't know if those work as I've never tried one. Could be for you though.
Appreciate 0