BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

cable part number from d1s bulb to ballast

bavauto and sterling bmw of newport do not want to give me the part number for this cable.

I had this ballast replaced under warranty march of 2012, no my car is out of warranty, and was requesting a part number for the cable from the dealership, they never gave me a call back or emailed me back. I emailed bavauto and some other websites to no avail. They just sugest replacing the ballast for $429.

I can see black electrical burns on this cable i am looking for. Try to see if that would solve my issue.

I have swapped bulbs and both do work. I have yet to put a multi meter to it yet, but hope it is just a defective cable, as that was not replaced under warranty even though there was evidence of this at the time of original service. Of course it was not notated in the service notes. Perhaps partially my fault for not informing techs how to troubleshoot problems?

If someone can help me out without having to deal with a dealership, I would be most grateful.

Seeing other 128i members swapping out their intake manifolds for a performance gain, I rather spend my money on that than a whole ballast replacement.

If anyone one can help, that would be awesome,

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

went to another dealership to find part number. turns out they discontinued making the cable I needed. Told me I can have the whole ballast replaced or I am out of luck...... Thank bmw, for your wonderful cheap fix for my car..........

Thinking of buying aftermarket headlamps
http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm

Then find an adapter to use my fog light cables to work on them. Seems to be a much cheaper alternative than the $467.95 (ballast alone) that bmw is offering me.
Appreciate 0