BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Originally Posted by s747 View Post
Shaun - you pasted a link to a different incident!! - that was a 5 series exacly 1 year ago to the day. I remember it last year on the news: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1225851803044

The one yesterday was either yokine or dianella -
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1226036409913
Shit. Sorry.

The news didn't say they impacted at 200kmh. They said they were going at 200kmh down the road. It was at least 80m from where they hit the kerb, veered across the road. Up the other kerb and through a park then through the wall. From the video I reckon it was 150+
      04-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #24
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontask View Post
If the airbags deploy, thie car computer leaves the speedo at the speed at the point of impact. All the cops have to do is look at the speedo when they get there. BMW Technology for you.
Is this true? Btw, loving the new signature
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #25
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
It proves one thing. This car seems quite safe if after crashing at 200km/h they were able to make a run for it.
i agree lol
      04-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Let me direct people to the property in question: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=213...,18.67,,0,4.85

Looking at the surrounding roads, it's quite possible the idiot was doing 200km/h. To get his car up THAT far into the house just screams "speed" to me. Straight road, slight bend, car launches and rolls...

He was certainly truckin' it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
So glad we have the Pilgrims to support us in case of a military attack - they don't miss a thing!

at least they don't live in a communist nanny state and buy 135i's for half what we do because their own companies operating in australia are so heavily protected by our tax dollars, they are laughing at us.

and a typical australian govt and police response will be to lower the speed limit to 40kph for the whole area and think that will solve the problem. our problem is that the morons that run this country are just as dumb as the morons that crash their cars into houses
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
So glad we have the Pilgrims to support us in case of a military attack - they don't miss a thing!

Ha! Gold!
      04-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
at least they don't live in a communist nanny state and buy 135i's for half what we do because their own companies operating in australia are so heavily protected by our tax dollars, they are laughing at us.

and a typical australian govt and police response will be to lower the speed limit to 40kph for the whole area and think that will solve the problem. our problem is that the morons that run this country are just as dumb as the morons that crash their cars into houses
Given the choice of living in this "communist" country or one where you go to jail for calling the president names or get kicked off your property with no compensation (or a bullet in your head if you're lucky) - I know where I'd rather be.

Given the choice of whether having enough money to pay a bribe to a cop or govt official or a straight-down-the-line cop who busts you for speeding in a school zone - I know where I'd rather.

Our problem is not the "morons" who run this country but rather the morons who haven't experienced true deprivation and official corruption and choose to flout the law with the full knowledge that our system won't lock them away forever or confiscate their property - forever.

Trust me - the grass ain't greener on the other side.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #30
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Given the choice of living in this "communist" country or one where you go to jail for calling the president names or get kicked off your property with no compensation (or a bullet in your head if you're lucky) - I know where I'd rather be.

Given the choice of whether having enough money to pay a bribe to a cop or govt official or a straight-down-the-line cop who busts you for speeding in a school zone - I know where I'd rather.

Our problem is not the "morons" who run this country but rather the morons who haven't experienced true deprivation and official corruption and choose to flout the law with the full knowledge that our system won't lock them away forever or confiscate their property - forever.

it was quite a rant wasn't it

and err.... when did you last go to the states
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #31
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
it was quite a rant wasn't it

and err.... when did you last go to the states
Two years ago....would'nt live there either.....no offence to our US cousins. I loved NYC and LA but as Dorothy says "There's no place like home."

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #32
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Two years ago....would'nt live there either.....no offence to our US cousins. I loved NYC and LA but as Dorothy says "There's no place like home."
"Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #33
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
If the airbags deploy, thie car computer leaves the speedo at the speed at the point of impact. All the cops have to do is look at the speedo when they get there. BMW Technology for you.
Whose to say the airbags went off immediately? The driver could have braked heavily when he lost control and knocked off a lot of speed in that time before frontal impact. IMO that doesn't look like a 200kph incident. Not even 150. My guess is around 80kph at impact with the initial wall/pole.

Subframe damage doesnt show that easily in photos.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #34
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:

but your not descibing the states here are you? otherwise your holiday there must have really taken a turn for the worse at some point.

i know alot of south africans living here now that describe thier country like that however.

anyway OT and pointless.. lol, sorry for rant
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #35
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Whose to say the airbags went off immediately? The driver could have braked heavily when he lost control and knocked off a lot of speed in that time before frontal impact. IMO that doesn't look like a 200kph incident. Not even 150. My guess is around 80kph at impact with the initial wall/pole.

Subframe damage doesnt show that easily in photos.
I agree. The damage is extensive, and it takes some serious impact to do what I can see on the onside front corner.

Not 200, but i'd say some serious speed was involved, including the fact he went through a brick fence and had to get seriously UP that embankment if you look at the google streetview i posted of the house.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #36
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
"Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."
great line, haven't heard that in a long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #37
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
but your not descibing the states here are you? otherwise your holiday there must have really taken a turn for the worse at some point.

i know alot of south africans living here now that describe thier country like that however.

anyway OT and pointless.. lol, sorry for rant
Nah mate. not describing the US. (I was wondering why the US came into the conversation). South Africa was very close... I was describing Zimbabwe actually - post independence in 1980. Of course it's a helluva lot worse now.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #38
hayesy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Coupe

It looks like cashmere silver just became a little bit rarer here in Perth!

Glad no one was hurt but he will pay the price regardless - the cost of the car plus damages to the property and some fines to boot. Serves him right...could have been much worse.
      04-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesy View Post
It looks like cashmere silver just became a little bit rarer here in Perth!

Glad no one was hurt but he will pay the price regardless - the cost of the car plus damages to the property and some fines to boot. Serves him right...could have been much worse.
1 down.
44 more on the boat tomorrow :P
      04-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #40
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Here's the news report. You can see where they first hit the kerb and then down the road (200m according to them) into the wall

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/

on the first page at the bottom " car crashes into front yard ". The guy who's house it was is funny the bricks, the bricks they come flying in from the sky..
      04-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #41
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:

Ouch - Spangly reaches for a bex before he lies down!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #42
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ouch - Spangly reaches for a bex before he lies down!
it was a tiny over reaction to your post banglemangle come on, just tiny, in hind sight i should have just stayed at home yesterday and kicked the dog,
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #43
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
wouldn't really mattered as needle slap will occur in high speed collision where the needle will slap against the back plate and leave a mark of the paint. It can't be used as pure evidence though, but only as supporting evidence in court.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #44
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
wouldn't really mattered as needle slap will occur in high speed collision where the needle will slap against the back plate and leave a mark of the paint. It can't be used as pure evidence though, but only as supporting evidence in court.
Wow that's interesting. Sparoz are you missing your calling as a forensic crash investigator perhaps?
Appreciate 0