BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i sapphire black

Fair price?

Just put down a deposit last week on the car... I'm wondering whether I paid too much...

135i Sapphire black
PDC front and rear
Business nav
Sunroof
The "protection pack"

$87000 drive away

I reckon I could've bargained more, but anyway, can't wait for the car.

The dealer said it's already on a boat to Oz, expected delivery 20th April. Looking at some of the posts here, I feel I may be waiting longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgamman View Post
Just put down a deposit last week on the car... I'm wondering whether I paid too much..
$87000 drive away
The dealer said it's already on a boat to Oz, expected delivery 20th April. Looking at some of the posts here, I feel I may be waiting longer.
Hi Amalgamman... Welcome to the forum mate..

You answered your own question..

As long as you are happy with the purchase price.. Why wait 4 months just to save a further $1.5K..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think you got a good deal there. Definately you didnt get fleeced.
So try not to dwell on the price to much. There will always be someone out there that may of have payed a little less for it, as long as you were happy with the deal at the time.
Once you take delivery it will be worth it. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

not a bad effort mate, as mentioned above there is prob a little bit more room for movement. All I can say is upon delivery of the car you wont be thinking about the money because the car is beautiful and the engine is even better...have fun
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Hey there, my first post here. On the topic of negotiating price, I just put down a deposit on a factory build on friday (120d M Sport, Xenons, HiFi, 18's), and was negotiating over the last $500 or so but figured why argue the point too much..... at the end of the day, what's an extra $500 over a 4 year lease, $20/month?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Just put down a deposit last week on the car... I'm wondering whether I paid too much...

135i Sapphire black
PDC front and rear
Business nav
Sunroof
The "protection pack"

$87000 drive away

I think you are ordering a manual... well... it is not the bottom price, but as long as you are happy with it.

And it is coming to you sooner and don't have to wait for production

As long as you are not paying RRP... you are already ahead.
      03-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
Hey there, my first post here. On the topic of negotiating price, I just put down a deposit on a factory build on friday (120d M Sport, Xenons, HiFi, 18's), and was negotiating over the last $500 or so but figured why argue the point too much..... at the end of the day, what's an extra $500 over a 4 year lease, $20/month?
I rather have $500 in my pocket than theirs, but sometimes you cannot ask for too much. $500 for a better customer service. I often pay more for some special service
      03-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I think you've done reasonably well. I am paying $90k with the options listed below in my sig. So you should be pretty happy with it. I guess it all comes down to the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

It really depends of who you know...

My friend overseas about to return and his father is a good buddy of the owners of one of the dealership. He has a cracking price. I think it is an auto, metallic, hifi, comfort access and sunroof (may be more options)... got it order for $84500. He has to wait like me though.

As long as you are happy with the price mate... I am very glad with mine (thanks David and WAY)
      03-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:

135i Sapphire black
PDC front and rear
Business nav
Sunroof
The "protection pack"

$87000 drive away

Not the bottom definitely, but you've done alright. The dealers only get about 10% markup on their cars, which I always think it's fair. You just got screwed over with the protection pack .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
I think you got a good deal there. Definately you didnt get fleeced.
So try not to dwell on the price to much. There will always be someone out there that may of have payed a little less for it, as long as you were happy with the deal at the time.
Once you take delivery it will be worth it. Haha.
Ditto that

Quote:
It's always better to be in your pocket! Usually, though the last $500 is out of the sales pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
I rather have $500 in my pocket than theirs, but sometimes you cannot ask for too much. $500 for a better customer service. I often pay more for some special service
!! !! What special service taka???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I think you've done reasonably well. I am paying $90k with the options listed below in my sig. So you should be pretty happy with it. I guess it all comes down to the dealer...
Oh no! Did you buy it from Brisbane

Quote:

My friend overseas about to return and his father is a good buddy of the owners of one of the dealership. He has a cracking price. I think it is an auto, metallic, hifi, comfort access and sunroof (may be more options)... got it order for $84500. He has to wait like me though.

As long as you are happy with the price mate... I am very glad with mine (thanks David and WAY)
The fair price is always what the dealer's happy to sell it for, and what you are going to be happy to buy it for. It can't be said that if you've paid too much - every dealer is different, and in negotiating, it's usually about how much we are fleecing the dealer than the other way around.

Usually you can't do much on an ordered car because that future allocation is gone for the dealer - and they want to make sure they can get good margin on that one. You can certainly do more on a car which is already on boat, or even more on cars that's already in their stock because their interest free period is running out and will start costing them money to hold on to the car.

For an ordered car - I think the markup is fair play, the stamp duty you have to pay for regardless, but the delivery fee is certainly excessively high.

There are certainly other factors which will influence price:
a) You know the owner well - ie cost price and probably no delivery fee.
b) BMW Corporate Program - you get about and extra 5% - cheaper for the dealer to get the car in, and BMW Aust subsiding the delivery fee. Just remember if you are in a small business, some of your suppliers might be on the program (that's my case) and they can extend it to you as their customer.
c) Timing of when you buy - end of the ordering cycle is usually better (not sure if I would able to find that out ever ). Things to note would be there's another car just in bond at the moment. You know they will have to get rid of the car they've got on the floor!
d) When BMW offering assistance to the dealers - like what they did 2-3 weeks ago on the 3 series, and during BMW expo. Eg. They BMW Aust is handing out like 20-22k per car on a 335. Plus the normal discount you get, and because the car is in stock sitting there. You can take over 30k off from the car.

So, really the bottom line is as everyone says it before - it's always about what you are happy to pay for .

I ordered my car, so most of them don't applied. My 125i discount is better than the 135i - simply because there's more 125i around.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #11
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Not the bottom definitely, but you've done alright. The dealers only get about 10% markup on their cars, which I always think it's fair. You just got screwed over with the protection pack .

Ditto that

It's always better to be in your pocket! Usually, though the last $500 is out of the sales pocket.

!! !! What special service taka???

The fair price is always what the dealer's happy to sell it for, and what you are going to be happy to buy it for. It can't be said that if you've paid too much - every dealer is different, and in negotiating, it's usually about how much we are fleecing the dealer than the other way around.

Usually you can't do much on an ordered car because that future allocation is gone for the dealer - and they want to make sure they can get good margin on that one. You can certainly do more on a car which is already on boat, or even more on cars that's already in their stock because their interest free period is running out and will start costing them money to hold on to the car.

For an ordered car - I think the markup is fair play, the stamp duty you have to pay for regardless, but the delivery fee is certainly excessively high.

There are certainly other factors which will influence price:
a) You know the owner well - ie cost price and probably no delivery fee.
b) BMW Corporate Program - you get about and extra 5% - cheaper for the dealer to get the car in, and BMW Aust subsiding the delivery fee. Just remember if you are in a small business, some of your suppliers might be on the program (that's my case) and they can extend it to you as their customer.
c) Timing of when you buy - end of the ordering cycle is usually better (not sure if I would able to find that out ever ). Things to note would be there's another car just in bond at the moment. You know they will have to get rid of the car they've got on the floor!
d) When BMW offering assistance to the dealers - like what they did 2-3 weeks ago on the 3 series, and during BMW expo. Eg. They BMW Aust is handing out like 20-22k per car on a 335. Plus the normal discount you get, and because the car is in stock sitting there. You can take over 30k off from the car.

So, really the bottom line is as everyone says it before - it's always about what you are happy to pay for .

I ordered my car, so most of them don't applied. My 125i discount is better than the 135i - simply because there's more 125i around.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Well, it sounds like it was a fair deal, and in the end as everyone says, I'm happy to part with the dough for this kind of car.

For me, I knew I had to get it as soon as I took it for a test drive. 100% satisfaction, can't wait till I get the call!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:

That is definitely a great price
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

Motorline... And will never return.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That is definitely a great price
Then I will have to kill you if I tell you what I pay for mine
      03-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
amalgamman
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Then I will have to kill you if I tell you what I pay for mine
I don't think I wanna know!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Takahashi, actually our oncologist friend got a crap price from his dad's friend's dealership! It was $88k initially, then I stepped in and told him approximately what I could get it for him through David, and I even had to speak to his dad's friend's sales manager to varify who I know at BMW. If I was Mr. Oncologist, I would have ditched them and bought it from David!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Look who turned up here. I dare ya to put that number plate you bought on your 120d. Btw, should have asked me to get your 120d for ya! COI's have contacts everywhere. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #18
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Takahashi, actually our oncologist friend got a crap price from his dad's friend's dealership! It was $88k initially, then I stepped in and told him approximately what I could get it for him through David, and I even had to speak to his dad's friend's sales manager to varify who I know at BMW. If I was Mr. Oncologist, I would have ditched them and bought it from David!
Their service is better than the price they offer too! I am very happy with the dealership... I am hoping David will give me a special treat for weekend coming up - it is my birthday Friday you know
      03-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Btw, should have asked me to get your 120d for ya! COI's have contacts everywhere. Lol.
Didn't realise you had contacts until I reg'd here! stupid me

Is 'David' DJP??? or am I completely off the mark?

edit: I've been half tempted to put the plates on it as a pisstake, but I just can't bring myself to do it..... Not even sure if I'll go with custom plates on this car. The other alternative is to put my current plates on it (BRGMCS), and REALLY confuse people
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:53 AM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

No the David we are refering to is a different guy.
Come on, put the Poo-Joo plates on! Haha
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Motorline... And will never return.
I don't seem to have good experience with them...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #22
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I thought that in these tough times the price of cars was going down significantly. Happy to see that the price of the 135i is going up rather than down. I got mine with exactly the same options for $82,700 drive away last year.
Appreciate 0