E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Which shampoo?

02-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Which shampoo?

What car wash shampoo would you recommend? I used previously Autoglym shampoo but since I got the permanent sealant to my car and I don't need to wax it for a long time I think I don't need the conditioner. I also think that Autoglym's cleaning power is not so good. Especially at the winter time when there is a lot of stubborn dirt.

So I'd need an effective cleaning product with good suds and lubricating properties. I have planned to order the Mothers California Gold shampoo from UK. Is this any good?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Permanent selant huh?!?

If you're speaking of the dealer selant that they claim last forever, I advice you to read the fine print.

You need to bring in your car twice a year to have the selant re-applied.

Get yourself some mezerna, zaino, fk1, or klasse.

back on topic,

Mothers california gold doesn't strip wax or selant so your safe to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
What car wash shampoo would you recommend? I used previously Autoglym shampoo but since I got the permanent sealant to my car and I don't need to wax it for a long time I think I don't need the conditioner. I also think that Autoglym's cleaning power is not so good. Especially at the winter time when there is a lot of stubborn dirt.

So I'd need an effective cleaning product with good suds and lubricating properties. I have planned to order the Mothers California Gold shampoo from UK. Is this any good?
I like mothers. Meguiars gold class is also supposed to be of high quality. I'm surprised you have to order it online. Aren't there any local stores that carry these types of products in Finland?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Permanent sealant eh?. Ch-chingggg!
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

I really like BMW's shampoo. I've heard good things about Pearls.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYRIIDE1113
Permanent selant huh?!?

If you're speaking of the dealer selant that they claim last forever, I advice you to read the fine print.

You need to bring in your car twice a year to have the selant re-applied.
No, this is not like that at all. This has two years guarantee here in Finland. In the UK in easier weather conditions this same stuff has six years guarantee. No need to re-apply. The shine is great and no waxing needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I like mothers. Meguiars gold class is also supposed to be of high quality. I'm surprised you have to order it online. Aren't there any local stores that carry these types of products in Finland?
I have not found these brands in here. Of course we have some other stuff in here but why bother to try them all if I can get good tips from this forum. I don't mind ordering online. Delivery time is two days (delivered to home address) and it is cheaper than any store in Finland.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

These dealer rip offs...There aren't any sealant that would last you whole whatever they claim amount of time. In two years, your lovely E90 finish isn't gonna fate much, if you at least wash the car in decent interval (I know, my mother in law's E500 has not ever been waxed once since 03' she got it, and it still look pretty good).

However, the paint will feel pretty gritty and that, you will want to wax it just to get the smooth feel back to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 03:38 AM   #9
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittWm
These dealer rip offs...There aren't any sealant that would last you whole whatever they claim amount of time. In two years, your lovely E90 finish isn't gonna fate much, if you at least wash the car in decent interval (I know, my mother in law's E500 has not ever been waxed once since 03' she got it, and it still look pretty good).

However, the paint will feel pretty gritty and that, you will want to wax it just to get the smooth feel back to the paint.
Well, obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Or how well do you know the Finikor Brilliant treatment? My friend had this done a bit over year ago and his car has still as good gloss as with any Zaino or other waxes. He had the check up for his car after one year which is required to maintain the warranty. The car was o.k. he was not charged for anything and no re-apply needed. So I'm pretty sure that it will last for promised two years when the car is treated with the conditioner which came free with this treatment.

I have had this now for two months and the shine is still awesome and like right after the treatment. With normal waxes this would not be possible after all the power washes during the winter.

Here in Finland the lovely finish will for sure fate in two years without waxing or other protection for the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #10
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Quote:
Well, obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Or how well do you know the Finikor Brilliant treatment? My friend had this done a bit over year ago and his car has still as good gloss as with any Zaino or other waxes. He had the check up for his car after one year which is required to maintain the warranty. The car was o.k. he was not charged for anything and no re-apply needed. So I'm pretty sure that it will last for promised two years when the car is treated with the conditioner which came free with this treatment.

I have had this now for two months and the shine is still awesome and like right after the treatment. With normal waxes this would not be possible after all the power washes during the winter.

Here in Finland the lovely finish will for sure fate in two years without waxing or other protection for the paint.
Does your paint still bead when you wash it? Just curious

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc
Does your paint still bead when you wash it? Just curious
Yes and no. It beads a little bit but there is not as much water as there would be if there were a normal wax on the surface. So it is a lot easier to dry after wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

DEALER = I want you $$$$$$$$$$
SEALANT = BS

These subjects have been discussed hundreds of times, they dont work. If they did dont you link it would be part of the detailing community. Their not because their just a gimmeck.

On your orginal question I use Poorboys Super Slick & Suds Car Wash or Zaino!!! My Favs!

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #13
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

Poorboys SS&S is one of the gentlest soaps I have used. Zaino is also in the top 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #14
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsebrklyn

These subjects have been discussed hundreds of times, they dont work.
This one does. No doubt about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
ghosey115
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Black 330 M Sport

Garage List
McGuiars Gold Class Shampoo without a doubt, I will not be using anything else on my new beemer!
      03-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Zaino is the ONLY thing I ever use
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Does somebody have experience of Turtle Wax Orange car wash?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 06:55 AM   #18
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

I've been using Autoglym shampoo and it's been great. The cleaning power should be fine now as roadsalt is no longer used.

BTW, about the Finikor treatment. We had it in our B6 Audi (jet black) but to be honest we weren't absolutely happy with it at the end.
We still kept waxing it and didn't want to pay for the re-treatment after the first year. You can get the same results easily with waxing IMO. It's a decent product if you don't like waxing, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
I've been using Autoglym shampoo and it's been great. The cleaning power should be fine now as roadsalt is no longer used.

BTW, about the Finikor treatment. We had it in our B6 Audi (jet black) but to be honest we weren't absolutely happy with it at the end.
We still kept waxing it and didn't want to pay for the re-treatment after the first year. You can get the same results easily with waxing IMO. It's a decent product if you don't like waxing, though.
I used Autoglym before as well but then I decided to try something else. I bought Mother's California Gold and I was surprised. Autoglym does not come even close. There is no suds with Autoglym and it does not take the dirt of very well either. There are a lot better products available. Now it would be nice to know what this Turtle wax orange is like since it is easily available here in Finland.

Which wax you used for your Audi? If you use waxes which contains silicone (like Autoglym) it will wear the Finikor treatment off. There should not be need for extra treatment after a year but two years. I have been happy so far. No more swirl marks and the car is a lot easier to wash. I agree that the shine is not better than with normal good waxing but the surface is now for sure harder and more resistant to swirls. Only thing needed is to apply the conditioner once in a month.
Appreciate 0