BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
zzz36
Private
Rep
Drives: lexus

JB3 data logging cable

Hi guys,

Is there instructions somewhere that shows how I can route the serial cable for the JB3 from the ECU into the glove box? I'm a complete noob at this and can't figure out how to run the wire from the JB3 out of the white ECU box and into the glove box.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
arsenyc
www.BottleneckGallery.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C / F87 M2C

I know there is a thread on e90post for the 335, but not sure if its the same for us? I just ordered 2.0 myself so I would love to know as well...I am guessing it is very similar.
      04-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

It is the same for 135 as it is for the 335. You will have to lift the entire ECU box up in most cases to see the hole in the firewall to rout it through but I know people have done without moving the ECU box out of the way. You can also just hook it up when you need to and route in under the hood to the right of the hinge for the hood( not between the hinge and the fender) and along the door between the side mirror and then open the door and route it down the door in the gap that is there between the dash and the door panel. when you open the passenger door you will see what area I am talking about. this way you can still have the window close and the cable does not get pinched much at all doing it this way since the rubber seals on the door cushion it. this is the way I have done it several times. When you are not using it you can coil it up under the hood and tape off the end of the USB connector so no dirt gets in there. If you route it through the firewall you will want to remove that as well as the JB3 for each service visit and for warranty work which will only make your life harder. You will never need to do so much logging or updating that you will need the cable routed through the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
zzz36
Private
Rep
Drives: lexus

Ok I got it, thanks Brad. Totally forgot to account for the part about having to take the car in for service and leaving the wire dangling there.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Is it a standard DB9 to USB cable? I have a bunch of those, but don't want to hose anything.
Appreciate 0