BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Tire rubbing solutions?

Just put on a set of wheels and tires with stock M-sport suspension.
The rear tires rub the inner fender on large bumps at speed.

I searched the forum and found "fender rolling" might help, but I'd say that would be my last option.

Is there any other solution for the rubbing issue?
Will it help if adjusting the rear camber?
Since it's my first time with this kinda issue, I'd like to hear your advice.

Thanks in advance!!

Wheels:
OZ Ultraleggera
18x8 offset:40 Front
18x9 offset:40 Rear
no spacers

Tires:
Yoko S. Drive
215/40 R18 Front
245/35 R18 Rear

Suspension/Fender Mods/Camber:
-None. Stock M-Sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Other then getting a less squared tire the other options are fender rolling or cutting the fender off.. however let me ask you this question are you just leaving your car stock? Cause if you look closely its not the whole fender that rubs.. its this particular spot near the end of the fender which attaches to the bumper that needs to be rolled a bit..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Rear camber will definitely help but you'll already wear out the inside of your tires much faster and more camber would make it worse.

You might can have the wheels "shaved", machined to a higher offset. It will depend on the wheel itself and usually you can't shave much on a wheel with what is already a higher offset than typical.

Reducing weight in the car, especially in the rear will help. My car rubbed significantly less when I removed my rear seat.

If you plan to keep those wheels, the easiest solution is to just go to tires that fit smaller. I bet a Toyo T1r or Falken in the same size as your Sdrives would not rub.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Rear camber will definitely help but you'll already wear out the inside of your tires much faster and more camber would make it worse.

You might can have the wheels "shaved", machined to a higher offset. It will depend on the wheel itself and usually you can't shave much on a wheel with what is already a higher offset than typical.

Reducing weight in the car, especially in the rear will help. My car rubbed significantly less when I removed my rear seat.

If you plan to keep those wheels, the easiest solution is to just go to tires that fit smaller. I bet a Toyo T1r or Falken in the same size as your Sdrives would not rub.
You mentioned "go to tires that fit smaller", what do you mean by that?

by fitting a 215/40 tire (my current front tire spec) to a 18x9 rear wheel considers "go to tires that fit smaller"?

that leads me to another question, will stiffer suspension setup helps? like KW v1 or Eibach pro system kit

Last edited by gan08; 04-24-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Gan, yep, you could go to a tire that fits smaller by changing size or strange enough just by using a tire that runs smaller than others that are labeled the same. It's almost like some tires are just measured smaller and others larger. I mentioned the tires known to fit smallest.

This "stretching of tires" whether done by a smaller size or small running tire can only accomplish so much because the wheels can still rub or the tire can be too undersized to fit properly on the rim. 225 to 235 is about as small as you can go on a 9" rim and will look very stretched.

You sounded like you wanted the easiest option which would be just going to slightly smaller running tires. For sure a stiffer suspension will help some too. Your setup is very similar to many of ours, you should be able to make it work and rub less to none.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
You may be out of luck with that offset, it's too low.
      04-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I run these exact rims but 225's in front and 255's in the rear and yes you'll have to do some sort of modification to get rid of the rubbing. Rolling the fenders (properly with a tool) and some negative camber got rid of all rubbing, even with 4 people and luggage in the car. (and I'm lowered on KW's)

You don't have to roll too aggressively, as said before, the actual spot where most of the rubbing actually occurs is where the fender meets the rear bumper plastic part. To test where's rubbing get some masking tape and put some pieces around the inside fender and drive around. Where the tape gets rubbed off is the spot you know you have to work on.
      04-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What about using a really thin wheel spacer plate? Like say 5mm's on the rear wheels? I guess it would depend on how much fender lip room there is to play around with? Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What about using a really thin wheel spacer plate? Like say 5mm's on the rear wheels? I guess it would depend on how much fender lip room there is to play around with? Just a thought.
Adding a spacer will push the wheels out further, making the problem worse.
Appreciate 0