BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

N55 Spark Plugs

I'm looking to change the spark plugs in my N55. I wanted to go with NGK so I called them up and found out that they make plugs for the N54 but not for the N55. They guy I spoke to was helpful but he did kind of freak me out about putting the N54 pluhs in to my N55.

What are some of you N55 guys doing for plugs?

My car is a front mount away from being FBO and I'm at 25k on the stock plugs and want to change them out soon.

Feel free to chime in but take it easy on me...I'm at work and left my flame suit at home lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

Search

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep

here we go with the search...I've been on forums long enough to know to search first or else I get the forum trolls responding with the search comment. I didn't think I had to mention it though.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonShant
here we go with the search...I've been on forums long enough to know to search first or else I get the forum trolls responding with the search comment. I didn't think I had to mention it though.
Judging from the number of posts you made and your join date, you seem like a total amature too me. It's not rocket science http://bit.ly/15S4ol9

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep

i didn't specify which forum...I was on forums when you were still waiting for the school bell to ring. Judging by your sig I think its time you update your last pass of 13.7@105
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonShant View Post
How could you have missed this thread?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885210

This is a very real problem on forums. What happens is people keep reposting the same question, then eventually searching becomes useless because 90% of the results are threads like this. Of the 10% that are good, half of those are still poor quality since people don't feel like reposting paragraphs upon paragraphs of useful information when they just did it a week prior. It's not reasonable nor realistic to expect the most knowledgeable people to repost the same thoughtful responses every time a newbie posts the question. So the threads slowly get worse and fragmented.

Here it seems to be most common with intercooler threads. There is a new thread asking which IC to get about every other week, despite there being a ton of really lengthy and informative on the subject.

You're better off reading the old threads, then if you have a follow up question not covered in that thread, bump it so there is some context, and the next person who searches will find just the one thread, not a dozen and have to pick through them to find good info. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Last edited by Freon; 09-11-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

N54 plugs ARE different than N55 plugs. So you can not mix them up.

Also... you really should buy your spark plugs from a BMW dealer. The BMW spark plugs(OE) are different from the aftermarket(OEM) plugs. Maybe people report of prblems with the OEM plugs vs nil with OE plugs.

As for searching... yes please search before making a new thread. You can even use Google... just put in "1Addicts" and what you are looking for. Nine times out of ten you will find something related to your question.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
How could you have missed this thread?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885210

This is a very real problem on forums. What happens is people keep reposting the same question, then eventually searching becomes useless because 90% of the results are threads like this. Of the 10% that are good, half of those are still poor quality since people don't feel like reposting paragraphs upon paragraphs of useful information when they just did it a week prior. It's not reasonable nor realistic to expect the most knowledgeable people to repost the same thoughtful responses every time a newbie posts the question. So the threads slowly get worse and fragmented.

Here it seems to be most common with intercooler threads. There is a new thread asking which IC to get about every other week, despite there being a ton of really lengthy and informative on the subject.

You're better off reading the old threads, then if you have a follow up question not covered in that thread, bump it so there is some context, and the next person who searches will find just the one thread, not a dozen and have to pick through them to find good info. Be a part of the solution, not the problem.
I actually read that thread and I don't know if you read it or not but to me there was no clear result...seems to me like the OP cleaned off his original spark plugs and put them back in. This doesn't tell me if it was a spark plug problem, a gap problem or and advice on how to handle anything like that.

I apprecaite the link to the post but I didn't find it very helpful which is why I created my own thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
N54 plugs ARE different than N55 plugs. So you can not mix them up.

Also... you really should buy your spark plugs from a BMW dealer. The BMW spark plugs(OE) are different from the aftermarket(OEM) plugs. Maybe people report of prblems with the OEM plugs vs nil with OE plugs.

As for searching... yes please search before making a new thread. You can even use Google... just put in "1Addicts" and what you are looking for. Nine times out of ten you will find something related to your question.

Dackel
Thanks...I will probably end up ordering the stock plugs from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I suggest ordering the stock plugs from the dealership. I tried the ones from BMS and they work but I could tell the car was idling a bit rough. I had them in the car for five minutes and cleaned up the stock ones and reinstalled them.
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
BostonShant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleach18 View Post
I suggest ordering the stock plugs from the dealership. I tried the ones from BMS and they work but I could tell the car was idling a bit rough. I had them in the car for five minutes and cleaned up the stock ones and reinstalled them.
Yeah thats what I'm gonna end up doing until someone comes up with something nice. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonShant View Post
I actually read that thread and I don't know if you read it or not but to me there was no clear result...seems to me like the OP cleaned off his original spark plugs and put them back in. This doesn't tell me if it was a spark plug problem, a gap problem or and advice on how to handle anything like that.

I apprecaite the link to the post but I didn't find it very helpful which is why I created my own thread.
Not to belabor the point, but this is from the SECOND post in the suggested thread:

"Wrong plugs, mate. Those new ones are for the N54 only."

Seems like a pretty direct statement acknowledging that N54s go with N54s and N55s go with N55s.

Kind of a ...

..but as one who has literally NO automotive knowhow, and relies on the effectiveness of an economical thread search, I'm sure hoping we can all be more accurate readers. Especially as an English Prof.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Just1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M package

To all people being an ass about "SEARCH" when u on the phone you cant use the freaking "SEARCH BUTTON" on the forum, not everyone have a laptop or computer and stop being a dick. Try it and report back to me when you try to search by phone. If u dont have any better world to say just stay out of the thread. Tell the guy do search not make you any smarter boys
Back to OP i used NGK 5992 and no problem so far for the last 3K FBO E85 50/50 and everyday i drive like i stole it.

Last edited by Just1; 09-11-2013 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0